Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Pontiac Wagon Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56PonchoWagon, Aug 8, 2014.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I had always thought about using an old wheelcover as the top part of an air cleaner, and had never seen it done before. Not even on, and please forgive me the term, on a "rat rod". And now, someone has gone and done it! I am primarily a Chevrolet guy, but I do appreciate other builds, irregardless of brand. I've always had a thing for wagons, and yours is very nice, and coming along nicely. Whatever you do, DON'T go the route of using 55 Chevrolet tail lights, keep that wagon ALL Pontiac. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Sorry about the air cleaner :) Its still has some metal work that needs to be done before I am happy with it but I think it looks cool. It seems like I had seen it done somewhere before on the HAMB? Unfortunately I will have to disappoint you on the taillight issue. All the lenses in the originals are missing or just falling to pieces and replacements are nowhere to be found! I am a Pontiac guy through and through but the aftermarket just isn't there for these old Poncho's :(

3. Thanks. .. it's a newish GM color called synergy green.

4. Green is the new red! :D HRP

56PonchoWagon likes this.
  5. Or flat black :)

6. Fulvia

Fulvia

Blue with green? Interesting. Great build, I'm watching it.

7. Blue?

8. Fulvia

Fulvia

The engine.

9. Don't know if you've gotten your shift arm situation ironed out yet or not, but if not, check out kugelkomponents.com for GM shift arm kits.

10. Oh I see... Pontiac engines are blue. Not too much I can do about that:) I will be swapping the heads out for some aluminum ones and the valve covers will be going back to as cast with no paint. That might tone it down a bit

11. I sort of did. I used a shift arm kit from lokar to keep my column shifter. But i have to modify the shift stops made into the column as they don't match up anymore.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Mine is (or will be) Olympic Blue/white (not blue but more green) with Pontiac blue for the engine also.

13. Just got finished cruising through your build thread. I cant wait for more pics and updates. I love my Pontiac Blue engine because I really wanted everyone to see that my engine was a Pontiac and not some random SBC. So make sure you do the same and maybe the old Pontiacs might start getting a little love at the shows and in the (fingers crossed) aftermarket! ;)

wvenfield likes this.
  14. Glad to hear you were able to keep the column shift. I guess I didn't say it, but that's why I recommended checking out Kugel's. I always think of Lokar as floor shift. You've got a great build going and your paint scheme is terrific. It'll be a stand out anywhere you go.

15. Green isn't everyone's cup of tea but this will be my third green car. I cant seem to stay away :) At least it is somewhat popular nowadays!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That color is crazy ! Crazy on a good way , that is. Nice ride.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

It may be a new color but it has a 60's vibe to it.

18. Glad I am not the only one that thinks so. I feel kind of ashamed to say it but I saw that color on a 2014 Camaro in the dealership a while back and I knew that it was the one. Before that I was going to custom mix a color I saw on a Mr. Gasket sponsored Suburban.

19. Fulvia

Fulvia

I hope it will look as good as Cody Wall's 59' chevy wagon. It's around that shade of green. I saw that car at columbus goodguys. It's very cool. Way to differentiate yourself from the rest.

20. Just looked it up online and WOW I hope mine looks half that good!

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

paint turned out real nice, can't wait to see it together

22. Thanks brother! Have you figured out your paint scheme yet?

23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

no I have to figure my door situation out first, I bought another set of doors that need some work, than a nice set of fiberglass ones pop up. My one isn't worth painting . May just leave the off white roof and figure what color for bottom, still like the candy apple red metalic.

24. I still like that white roof with candy apple red theme too just make sure to use the huge lil Daddy Roth flakes on it

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  25. A little update for anyone interested. 20150405_113343.jpg
    Finally got my car back from paint and immediately started slapping on parts I have been stock piling. 20150405_113329.jpg
    That includes all new weatherstripping and rubber 20150405_155841.jpg If any one has ever had to replace these vent window gaskets... I now know your pain!

brut4s and 55chieftain like this.
  26. I forgot just how much stainless steel trim is on this car. I see a lot of polishing in my future 20150406_161530.jpg

brut4s, OahuEli and Ford52PU like this.
  27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looks really good. nice job.

28. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, just found the thread, looks great.