Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grits, Dec 29, 2009.

1. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

Any body have photos of the john souza t,,

2. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

This photo certainly captures the "whole" sixties idea of hot rods/street rods!!! From baldies and beauty rings to slots and Americans, with more flake thrown in!

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

:eek::eek: Blimey i've just creamed myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any shot with the door shut?

What a gorgeous car:cool:

4. nutajunka

nutajunka

Look at how young the crowd was. It would be cool to see them in the same location as then.....then again maybe not, time has a way of doing it's own body work.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

So Cal was the epicenter before the 60's and it is to this day. I was lucky to have been able to make numerous excursions to the LA scene in the 60's, from my home in the Midwest.

Doug, were you at this Early Times gathering in about '68? It was in a big parking lot along the south side of the San Bernadino Freeway and we just happened upon it and pulled in. Buckets just don't get any badder than Ted Brown's.

[​IMG]

Here's a current build I like a lot.

[​IMG]

My Impala with the Uncertain T.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Most of the cars that people think are "60's" style these days aren't. Most of them sit waaaay too low, and a lot of cars in the 60's had fenders and were on a rake. And not EVERY car in the 60's has supremes and pie crust slicks, in fact most didn't.

hallrods likes this.
  7. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I'm trying to show off Edell's coupe to a friend in an email, but it won't copy/paste. Any idea why? I saw it in Santa Maria, and my friend is curious as to what I thought was the baddest car there. Thank you

knotheads likes this.
  8. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

I understand that this is an old thread, but I have a question about the sixties hot rod builds.
    Let me first explain that though i'm new to Hot Roddin I'm not new to custom cars. As a matter fact my first word was "Mom" and the second was "Car"!!! Dad didn't mind to much, cuz dad was next. I was 4 yrs old when I went for my first ride in a duece coupe for my birthday!!! Getting to driving age mini trucks was the coolest thing(fads come and go). Then moved to lowriding and bombs!
    So now I've just bought my first lil Hot Rod, and I'm UPSIDE DOWN and INSIDEOUT with excitement!!! I bought a lil T sedan and want to take it to a sixties style.
    So gettin to my question. As I study this and many other threads, I see a lot of mismanaging of wheels and even hub caps with steelies. Can some explain this? cuz it's what I'm about to do with my lil T. Thanks!!!

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 60's, most backyard hot rods had '40-'48 front brakes with 5&1/2 pattern; the rears used were mostly '55-'57 Chevy or Olds. It was hard to come up with perfect matching wheel sets. Unless it was a bucks up build (most weren't).

10. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Watch it, you might upset those rockabilly posers who are re-living a time that never happened. You know, the ones that don't even know what real rockabilly sounds like.

hallrods and chevy57dude like this.
  11. If you really want to know search around for old Hot Rod, Rod and custom mags. This will give you an idea of what was considered the upper crust of Hot Rodding. This will not necessarily show what the normal folks were building except maybe in the for sale section in the back

12. hallrods

hallrods

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My Dad started this car in 1959 finished it in 1961

EVL401 likes this.
  13. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

image.jpg Here's what a home town friend was driving to high school in '62. Not a great picture due to its age. '49 coupe with a hopped up flathead. Just what I want to put together except with the hopped up 324 Olds sitting in my garage.

Lee

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Original Tuffy.jpg 3 window Deuce built by my best friend in the late 50s early 60s

hallrods likes this.
  15. Mine's a relatively new build, but I tried for an early 60s look by reminding myself of the model cars I did at that time - lotsa chrome, bright paint, white interiors and decals.

OlSchool.jpg

Dave

hallrods and hrm2k like this.