Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Caddie V8 Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbstude, Apr 4, 2015.

1. mbstude

mbstude

Hey guys!

The engine is a 1953 Cadillac 331.

My question is: Is there an advantage to using later (1961) 390 parts on the 331? Heads, intake, etc. Is there a difference between the heads of the two engines? Simply wondering if it's worth it to change things around.

I already know about using Studebaker rocker arms. Are they simply a "bolt on"?

What other tricks are there to making these engines wake up a bit?

Where is the best source for cool vintage parts? Ebay and the classifieds here?

New to the world of Caddies, and I have to start somewhere. :)

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I don't believe anything will fit after ' 56

3. unionmike13

unionmike13

62 and earlier is 331-390 are interchangeable. 1963 is first year of new block with distributor in front of block.

4. unionmike13

unionmike13

Isky makes cams. That will wake it up.
    Add 390 heads and 4bbl card

5. mbstude

mbstude

That's exactly what I had in mind, along with maybe a better flowing intake and a more modern ignition system.

Good to know the heads will work.

6. unionmike13

unionmike13

390 4bbl intake is plenty.
    390 distributor with pertronix electronic ignition conversion.

7. mbstude

mbstude

Then it sounds like it could be "good to go" with what's lying around. Very cool.

The 390 has a Delco window dist so it's easy enough to ditch the points.

Thank you sir for the info. Now to do some diggin' and find out what's involved with the Stude rocker arm swap. Even if we don't do that, I want to know how it's done.

8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 331 is a good base. If you put the 390 heads on a 331 you need the stock rocker shafts and push rods from the 390 The heads are a little different. You can generally bore a 331 to 4 inch to make it a 365 but it needs to be sonic checked first. There is a limit to how much you want to spend and how much power you want from a obsolete engine.

9. mbstude

mbstude

Isn't that the truth.. Obsolete? You bet.. But so is the car and everything else I mess with, lol. Doesn't make it any less cool!

We're not looking for anything outrageous or high performance. It's a stock 331 and there happens to be a '61 Caddie parts car out back that can donate some pieces. Swapping heads is just an easy, convenient change given the situation. I just wanted to make sure it was worthwhile and doable before diving in. :)

10. mbstude

mbstude

11. Be careful to check your valve/rocker clearance as there are different length pushrods through those years.I used 390 heads on a 365 and had to shorten the pushrods around .040"

12. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Aren't all the cool motors obsolete? :) It's a score if you find one and resurect one. From what I was told by a very knowledgeable guy of hot rodding. Caddys and Olds WERE the motors to have.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

49-54 331s have more transmission options. because they have the long bell. the later ones are a bitch to get manual transmissions for. the 303 olds bellhousings bolt to the 331s, thus you get the olds transmissions, and one year in particular i think 53 olds, you can bolt a lasalle trans right up to it.

14. mbstude

mbstude

Well, here's what I'm dealing with.

This car belongs to my uncle currently, but I'm working towards becoming its next owner.

'53 Stude hardtop with a 331 that has been sitting between the fenders since 1953. Trans is a LaSalle toploader. (I'm surprised the dash isn't dented from knuckles hitting it when going into second.)

This thread is to satisfy the constant day dreaming I'm being cursed with. So thank you to every one that has contributed some answers. I've learned a lot in just a few hours!

These were taken when it was first pulled out the barn.

More later, hopefully. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JEM

JEM

Anything that doesn't have DOHC, variable cam timing on all four bumpsticks, and direct-cylinder injection is 'obsolete'. Some would argue that anything that's not fed AC from a couple big fat wires is obsolete.

Now, never mind those people, is a pre-'62 390 visually different from an early 331? I'll go check the links earlier, but if anyone has a one-word answer I'll thank you...

16. F&J

F&J

Quote :"Trans is a LaSalle toploader".

rephrase that from now on. It is a bottom load, top shift, 1937 Lasalle. It bolts right up to the Cad stick bell

17. mbstude

mbstude

Thanks.. I was going with what someone else said. I'm learning!

18. F&J

F&J

All the Cad/LaSalle trans were bottom cover from 37 to end of Cad sticks in 53. (load means where the gears are installed from, where the actual cover is)

The 37 is the only top shifted one, the rest are side shift, bottom load

19. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i was always told the lasalle had to go on the 1950 olds bellhousing.

20. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

another tip. Studebaker intakes fit with minor adjustments to the bolting surface. and so to olds log intakes.

21. F&J

F&J

The only Olds bell that can use a LaSalle, is 1950 Olds V-8.

But, the stock Cadillac bell from 49-53 standard trans also has the same trans pattern.

The confusion comes from the fact that Olds did not have a standard transmission for the new OHV 8 that came out in 49. They lost sales in 49, so they made a deal to use Cad trans for the 1950 model year. They did not have time to build their own trans for some reason.

This "new" 1950 Olds V8 trans was Cadillac front half, but used a new short tailshaft and tailhousing. That stuff is one-year-only, so it is pricey today.

The hotrodders sometimes used the shorty 50 Olds tail parts, on the 37 LaS trans, because the LaS and Cad transmissions were very long.

That's is why a 37 LaS top shift trans with a 50 Olds tail is so expensive.... Because you need two very rare, one-year-only transmissions, to make a short 37 topshift trans.

For 1951, Olds used a new selector type trans, and the trans pattern is different than 1950 Olds, so the 51-up Olds bell can't be used for a Cad/LaS trans.

22. Now, never mind those people, is a pre-'62 390 visually different from an early 331? I'll go check the links earlier, but if anyone has a one-word answer I'll thank you...[/QUOTE]

2 word answer, Bell housing

23. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

there are 3 types of valve covers. 1949 had 2 bolt covers till about mid year. 49-57ish? has a script cover with 4 bolts, 57-62 has block letters and 4 bolts.