Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs A fervent prayer for speedo repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Theo Douglas, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Hey there, folks,

I haven't posted on here in a while, but my '49 Ford Club Coupe project has hit a pretty major snag -- one that could have been avoided if the guy working on it hadn't sent me to another guy, etc., etc.

Long story short: please, everyone, AVOID United Speedometer Repair in Riverside and its owner Richard Bruce "Rick" Lybarger. I believe I am their latest victim.

And if any venerable, wise, sagely shop owner tells you he "heard they were doing okay again," trust me: They're not. I'm their latest victim.

It turns out, of course, United and Rick have been allegedly taking people's money and not updating their speedometers for years. Or maybe they have been and everyone's satisfied. After all, we wouldn't want to malign the poor old fellow.

All I know is I paid this guy north of a grand in October, and five months later my shop is asking me "Where's the speedo," and oh, guess what -- Rick won't talk to me and won't return my calls.

The one time I did get him on the phone, he said he was at the doctor's office and to call him back.

Maybe he was. He's about 70, so it makes sense he would see a doctor. I'm a lot younger, and I do.

Then, of course, I tried calling him back. You guessed it. Nothing. Bupkis.

So, don't be like this me. Go somewhere else. Blow your money at the dog track. Anywhere but United Speedometer Repair.

Thanks for reading.

2. Did you go to his shop to check on your speedo?

3. belair

belair

I'm impressed you got "fervent" right. Thanks for the warning and good luck. Tried the HAMB-O-DEX?

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Tried to get them to make up a ratio adapter for me a week or two back. No progress so I called them back only to be told they thought I had a Toyota instead of a T5...?!?! They misheard one for the other.

They had only made a note of my name, telephone number and the word Toyota. They asked me for all the info again. I moved on...

5. More info needed.
    1000 dollars plus for a speedo repair??? Was he going to build one from scratch???

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Paying up front for repair service is not a great idea. Payment happens after work is done. Lesson learned ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. Sometimes shops won't touch your old junk unless you put up front dough on the counter. Payment in full is kinda stupid though. I've been trying to locate some special parts and found one place to get them, payment in full first. So I have a choice, right? Trust them or go without.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Touch my old junk ? :D:D I think there's a joke in there somewhere ;):D
    I agree with paying a partial deposit first, then the rest on completion. Makes more sense than giving someone $1000 and then whining when you get taken. :eek:

9. Think I'd be makein a trip ,Bakersfield is just over the grapevine from Riverside.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. Just over the Grapevine plus 100 miles but, yeah

12. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

A trip to Riverside won't get me a thing except a wasted day. Plus, I weigh a buck-20, so I don't have enough lead in my pants for a set-to.

And also [disclaimer goes here] using violence to solve your problems is a bad idea.

And also also, yes: I'm not an idiot, but this guy came recommended by a good shop, and I had to pay up front to get him to do the work. Which, of course, he didn't do.

13. Give Rusty a call,he's a hamber and he's helped me out twice,never a problem.
    He does what he says! HRP

www.speedoservice.com

14. alchemy

alchemy

If I lost a grand to a crook I'd hire a lawyer to get it back.

15. badshifter

badshifter

Been there done that with United. I only use North Hollywood Speedometer, 818 761-5136 or rebuild and or update my own. I just put VDO gauge faces in my stock 50 speedometer housing and it was pretty simple.