Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical welding So-Cal cast steel mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Apr 3, 2015.

1. What process are you using to weld the cast steel parts to mild steel - specifically the coil over mounts to the rear housing (9" Ford) ? Any pre-heat ? TIG, MIG, whatever? Which filler / wire?

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used them and we just tig weld them with mild steel rod. No problems to date? They are cast steel.

3. If you are going to TIG them you could use silicon bronze rod if you are experiencing cracking with mild steel rod. Pre heat never hurts.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Forget silicon bronze or anything else. Tig with regular ER70S2 wire is what you need.
    Cast steel is very weldable and you will not have problems with cracking or anything like that.

5. This is true but I have seen so much crap metal and the S/B is very forgiving. If it is good stuff there should be no problems.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just tig with A15 rods, equivalent to your ER70

7. sjrodder

sjrodder
    from vermont

We tig and use a MG600 rod pricey but worth it

8. Maybe this shows my age but I still prefer to stick weld cast steel with low hydrogen rod, like say E7018 or E8018. I have MIG and Tig welded it with mild steel as well as MIG core wire in 7018 with good success.

That said my personal preference is still to stick weld it.

warbird1 likes this.
  9. Tig or Mig is fine with the So-Cal cast steel parts, ER70S2. They weld Nice. I prefer to Tig 'em. Do not use Silicon-bronze rod. It has its place but you should never do that on anything structural.

10. metal man

metal man

My sentiments exactly. I use a lot of silicon bronze rod....it's great stuff, but not for structural chassis parts.

11. Lots of home built aircraft is Brazed.
    Done correctly, no problem.
    Unfortunately, too easy to do incorrectly.

12. LOL every Harley frame built before 1957 was brazed. They were rigid and took one helluva beating.
    We are just more refined now.
    I gas welded a 8.75 (9" to you really smart guys) Ford rear end from a '57 Ford back in the '70s. Plain mild steel stick and an oxyacetylene torch. Shortened it up and then welded the torched off spring pads to fit in a smaller car. the car still exists ad still gets driven (although not as much as it used to). The torch was available and I wasn't afraid to use it.

has nothing to do with the thread but I don't doubt if anyone asked today it could not be done.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes to keep it simple and sensible. :)

14. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

PSI says WELDING. We recommend the use of stainless steel rod on all ductile iron castings steel . With a ARC welder OR ? DATE 1965.

15. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Cast steel is not ductile iron.

16. kelzweld

kelzweld

That's a nice filler wire and its made by Messer if you're looking for it. I've used it on cast steel and its beautiful but ER70S2 should also be up to the job and a whole lot cheaper. I'd TIG them over Mig them if you can.

17. Thanks, guys. I'll TIG them with the 70S2 - just wanted to see if anybody had real-world experience with these particular parts.

18. metal man

metal man

I just installed one of these kits and T.I.G. welded it all with ER70S2 , it went really well. Nice parts.