Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bizcoupeguy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

I can't seem to find the "search thread" tool.
    I have a 1957 Ford Business Coupe. I am running 15x8 Cragar chrome reverse wheels at the rear. The tires are rubbing the inner fender wall. The backspacing that I have is the "standard issue" 4 1/4. Is there anywhere to find these with 4 1/2? All the local wheel shops tell me no. Help a guy out please.

I have the stock 9" rear end and it has already been narrowed a bit, don't wanna have to narrow it again...

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

nothing quick and dirty you can do to the wheel well?

3. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

Trimmed the inner lip, did the 2x6 with the bottle jack trick, got a bit of room, but not enough...the aftermarket axles pushed the clearance..

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Saber saw and couple drawn out radius lines to follow..

5. Search tool is pretty easy to find,it's the magnifying glass in the top left hand corner of the page.

[​IMG]

Click on it and a box will drop...I prefer to go to the bottom of the box and click more for the advanced search...it just seems to work better. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are 8" width wheels necessary? Seems a shame to mess with the body of a '57 Ford when a wheel change would solve the problem.

Ray

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Jack up the rear, street freak style.

8. Why 8"? go with a 6" with 4" back spacing...

lothiandon1940 and da34guy like this.
  9. '50s Fords all have narrow rear wheelwells.... Swap to a 15 x 7 with the same backspacing, all will be well.

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Yeah, jack up the rear and run Scavengers!

scavengers.gif

Or you can give Rally a call; http://www.rallyamerica.com/

11. I'd say you just didn't narrow the rear axle enough to start with.
    The Wizzard

12. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

Although the well educated feedback is greatly appreciated......I take it that none of you geniuses have any idea where to find the wheels mentioned, and that's okay.
    I am aware that Stockton Wheel used to do a custom fit, is there any other company out there that may do the same?
    Thanks for the info, kinda found it after I posted.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

We ARE geniuses ......relatively.......obviously WE know enough NOT to put too wide a wheel into too narrow a wheel housing. :rolleyes:

14. How thick is the wheel's mounting surface? Can you put it in Bridgeport mill and shave off enough thickness to move the wheel inboard and stop the rubbing?

Don't laugh- That's what I did to some Centerlines so they'd fit an OT MG Midget.

15. Zerk

Zerk

Hm.

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

That's why unkldaddy referred you to Rally America- they will build you whatever you need.
    Will 1/4 inch difference really solve the problem?

17. I have a question, did you have the wheels before you narrowed the rear axle?
    The Wizzard

18. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

I had 14x8 when the axle was narrowed, prior to the narrowing, these worked fine. I ordered the 15's and had them on, then did the axle swap, the new axles pushed the wheels out just enough to get the rubbing. The Strange axles have a thicker flange and the spacer is also a bit thicker. Far be it from me to alter the factory specs on that stuff.
    Didn't notice the Rally link, thought it was a signature link.
    I can mess with tire pressure and air shock pressure to get by when the kids are in the back, but don't like the ride or the stance, otherwise I would have gone to Skyjackers.
    And, yes, I believe that the 1/4 inch would do the trick, but not going to mill and compromise the mounting surface of the wheel.
    Thanks for the Rally link, I will check into that, question answered, problem soon to be solved.

19. I know how tuff it is to put good rubber under a 57 Ford. I have 10" wide wheels and 11.5" total width tires under mine. I did not tub it or flair the wheel opening. I only have 3/4" space on each side. That's tight, but it works. It was not an easy thing to pull off. Wish I could give you some easy advice to help you fix your issue.
    The Wizzard

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No help on where to find the wheels but Would a smaller maybe more narrow tire help?
    Looks like the sidewall is bulged out there pretty good if this is the same tires you have now,
    [​IMG]

21. Biz coupe guy said:

The Strange axles have a thicker flange and the spacer is also a bit thicker.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/800/873/873-a3121.pdf

So if the Axle flanges are 1/4" thicker :rolleyes: pushing the rims & tires then the brake rotor or drum went with it too.

Was this measured and speced for narrowing without the rotors? Then adding the brakes moved it out 1/4" ? Not that it really matters now, but for future reference it might be a good lesson that WMS dimension to the axle doesn't include the drums or rotors as far as the narrower is concerned. Personally I think you should have clearance- be able to stick a finger + in, not a paint stick.

Now, what is the "spacer" you spoke of earlier? Is this a bolt pattern adapter?
    It's not too hard to move the centers or have them custom made, but then chrome on the wheels won't be cheap. New wheels and chrome might be more & than narrowing the axle again.
    Or there's always selling your rears off and purchasing narrower ones to fit what you have.

I was hoping to hang out with the geniuses

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015