Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering the '41 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soddruntlestuntle, Apr 1, 2015.

1. In the next month or so, I want to see about lowering the ride height on my '41 Chev coupe. I'm on a very tight budget, so no hydraulics/airbags. I also don't want to torch the existing springs as I'd like to be able to return it to stock if the need ever arises. Was thinking about a set of professionally-modified front springs from Coil Spring Specialties in front, and a simple set of blocks in the back. Anyone have any thoughts or alternative suggestions? Advice?

2. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Blocks in the back are not going to work - look at where the spring bolts to the axle. There is a pivot between the spring and the axle - if you want to drop it some, you're going to need two new leaf springs for the back and shorter springs for the front.

Or you can grab a set of skirts and just make it appear lower while maintaining yur ride height.

3. soddruntlestuntle likes this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't listen to hinkiejd. Lowering blocks can and have been used on Chevy cars with torque tube rear axles for years. If you're on a budget, just remove one coil turn from the front coil spring with 3 inch blocks out back.

soddruntlestuntle likes this.

5. You can flip the main leaf at the rear, and use the front lower spring mount extensions (you will have to drill out your rivets and replace with HT bolts. All can be unbolted and can be returned back to stock, no need to cut springs.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't use those blocks for the front. Cut one coil, buy a lowered coil or/and spindles. And don't use homemade blocks .It boils down to common sense,Safety.

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Sod,
    I lowered my 41 Chevy in the back with 3" lowering blocks (and original drivetrain and suspension) and it worked out pretty well. And the blocks are narrow to match the narrow springs which these cars have (i.e. only 1 3/4" wide). Now and then I would bottom out on the axle with passengers but I think that was because of weak springs. I have since replaced the whole drivetrain and at that time I bought the Chassis Engineering rear spring kit. That works wonders but is a budget killer (over $600). Anyway, I also bought the front lowering kit from Butches Cool Stuff which lowered it about 1 1/2 inches. Some guys get 2 1/4" drop out of it. And, yes you could cut the coils to get it lower. My avatar is with the original suspension with the lowering blocks and front drop kit. Drop spindle are an option but also expensive. My rear drop kit is available if you are interested.
    Paul

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You don't want to spend a lot ? '41 - '48 springs aren't hard to find, so buy a used set, cut 2 coils off & have a spring shop dearch the rears 3''. Pull the factory springs out & replace ... you now have a traditional lowered car which can be returned to how you got it ... you'll also want to build some mounts for tube shocks as your Delcos are most likely used up.
    Soon, the "2 coils is too much" bunch will check in ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I am posting the web link to Butches Cool stuff. He has lowering kits for both front & rear for your Chevy. I have been looking at them for my 46 Chevy Coupe. My new tires are supposed to be in today & once I get them mounted I will be able to tell if & what I need to have correct stance as I have larger tires going on the rear.

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/

Jimmie

10. BarryA

BarryA

Are the spring 'cups' riveted to the lower A-arm (as they were on my '47)?
    If so you can drill them out, make up spacers - about3/4" should work - I went 1" and it sat a little too low - then bolt it all back up with some Grade 12 bolts.

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Yes it is riveted so you method should work great. Those at Butches are nothing but expensive spacer bars.

As an aside I got my tires on yesterday & put the Coker 600r16 classics on the front and the Coker 700r16 on the rear using a bit wider wheel for the 700's and amazingly the stance came out perfectly level. I do not need to lower the car for stance and if you look at my avitar you can see my height & at age 76 I have to do enough scrunching down to get in the coupe anyway.

I want to tell you that thedifference in the ride & handling between the old Allstate Bias ply tires & the Coker classic radials is tremendous.
    Jimmie

12. I have lowering blocks on the rear of mine, and up front I have stock coils from a 47 chevy that I cut 2" off of.

13. Scott, how do the cut coils effect the ride? I've read that it will make the ride much worse, yet I met a couple at the show I was at Friday, who also owned a lowered '41 coupe, and they cut their coils and said it rode fine. Your thoughts?

14. gatz

gatz

Where do you get Grade 12 bolts?

15. The ride feels fine to me. I cut 2" inches of spring which dropped it about 4". 3 or more inches cut from the spring may affect the ride.

16. That's great to hear-- I really didn't want to shell out $200+ for a set of custom springs... stupid question, but as a Noob in the Kustom World I have to ask-- did you take a hacksaw to your springs, or cut them with a torch?

17. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert for sure, but I think the heat from using a torch can take the "spring" out of spring steel. I'm sure lots have done it that way.

Personally, I'd use a cutoff wheel.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  18. I used cutoff wheel to give it a nice and clean cut.

19. BarryA

BarryA

I guess there is a difference in the naming, where I am bolts use the codes: 4.6; 8.8; 10.9; 12.9 as a measure of strength

20. Okay, freshly-cut used set of coil springs, check; 3" lowering blocks (thank you NashRodMan!), check. Forgive me, but the last thing I lowered was an '85 Toyota pickup-- anything I need to be worried about as far as this Chevy goes?

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Running out of gas. Post a photo of your lowered 41

22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nope. Piece of cake. YouTube and Google are your friends!!

23. By gum, I hope you're right. We shall find out this weekend.

24. Check clearance between top of tie rods and the bottom of the tin panel which is bolted to your chassis. Then get someone to bounce the front end up and down while you watch. Best done in a pit..

25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Not too much to it! Here's proof! :) Just be careful and keep your fingers out from between metal things like springs and frames!!!

Attached Files:

26. Well, we're half way there. Did the rear first due to time constraints Saturday. Thanks again NashRodMan, other than a couple of stubborn nuts, installing the blocks went off without a hitch. Praise the Lowered!

chev lowered 1.jpg chev lowered 3.JPG

27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Looks great in the back. You should cut a coil (or more) out of the front springs.

28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

29. Thanks. Have a set of freshly cut and painted springs ready to go-- probably Thursday.