Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Official "Chop Sewage" Build Thread Start to Finish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salty, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Really looks good.

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Thanks gents....I appreciate it...not to deviate from the build however I was consigned to paint a 1932 Ford Bonneville salt flats car....I figured ya'll might wanna see it....

Ya'll remember how I scrapped the usage of the candy burnt orange cause I couldn't get it to act right on large panels? Well....I could get it to act right on small panels...SOOOO.....Jr. Wanted his car painted in some wicked licks....so I shot it in candy orange and had Ms. Jillian from Hellcat Pinstriping lay down some lines on it prior to clear...little man is uber stoked for the pinewood derby to say the least...oh....it's fast as hell too....jus sayin...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425619009.334023.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425619023.219167.jpg

I present to thee...

Last years champ car in impulse blue metallic..

And this years future champ car 1932 Ford Bonneville salt flats racer!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426019751.338977.jpg

All Clear! Reassembly in T-minus 2 days....

4. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

That looks good! :)

5. Looking good! I look forward to seeing it all back together.

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426545852.710420.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426545883.646483.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426546038.250116.jpg

I forgot how much time reassembly takes when ya have to move slow so ya don't so ya don't scratch paint....but it is going back together....

kiwijeff, chrishallett83 and RICH B like this.
  7. chrishallett83

chrishallett83

I can't wait to see this thing all back together and in the sunshine, I reckon I'll need to wear sunglasses so my computer screen doesn't melt my eyes...

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427832241.227001.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427832279.120302.jpg

Reassembly moving slow....enlisted the help of a bunch of non car guy neighbors to get the bed and tonnoe cover back on without scratching anything...they did great! No scratches!

Well.....I have already scratched the fender putting it on....whatever....I'll fix it when I cut and buff

Nothing right now is aligned....it's all just sitting there....alignment should be fun....

RICH B likes this.
  9. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

That looks really, really good!

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427914193.317639.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427914236.016349.jpg

Due to severe space constraints a specialized tool was whipped up to get the Phillips head set screws tight without drilling access holes in my pretty paint...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427914337.486433.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427914375.810907.jpg

Well hello there sexy! Your starting to clean up nice!

Oh as a unrelated note...my GTO sold....empty spot in the garage.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427914462.053970.jpg

11. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428100523.789331.jpg

Above equals more tedious reassembly....

And now the new addition to the family....a higher tech hot rod...I believe her name is going to be Nefarious Nelly...2010 2SS that's had some work done....then the previous owner knocked his wife up for the third time...which made me the current owner! There's a lesson to be learned there! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428100742.840419.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428100794.543377.jpg

12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428184073.309360.jpg

138 tiny 5/16" nuts and bolts and three hours to reassemble (without scratching it I might add) my fingertips hurt

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429656711.533351.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429656768.825558.jpg

I hadda throw the grill in to check some distances since I am changing a few things in the cooling system....PIMPIN!

RICH B, ElBrujo and plumbid like this.
  14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431321883.643904.jpg

So I had to reinstall the a/c hoses I fabbed a long time ago to verify the clocking on the fittings was right...these are not crimped and the ugly gold color....

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431321995.399580.jpg

Another...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431322052.850310.jpg

I took the hoses to a local Auto A/C guy (Orange Park Auto Air...talk to Steve...he's awesome) and for the price of Firehouse subs for lunch he threw the crimp on ten fittings....the nickel plating was done by me on the fittings that are plain view under the hood...looks lots better....I re-did the hood striker while I was at it....I did it as an experiment awhile ago not thinking it would work well....I did so I redid it to get the sanding lines out of the plate....this is after a polish...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431322305.848269.jpg

Installed! Looks nice...

And don't judge me on the crooked/missing stuff....I ain't done yet! Damn!

Oh and those that are gonna bust my balls on the non-trad A/C....yea yea...I'm getting old and I live in Florida...I tried to hide everything I could...hoses are mounted inside of the fender wells with chip guards...drier is hidden behind the grill facia...the only thing I couldn't hide was the compressor....if ya can't hide it...make it pretty!

The hood will never get raised at a show anyway...it's a custom, why ruin the lines?

15. chrishallett83

chrishallett83

Anybody that pisses and moans at a man that fits a/c to his ride has clearly never lived anywhere it gets HOT, so they can jog on. Beautiful work, mate!

Salty, ElBrujo and charleyw like this.
  16. 26Troadster

26Troadster

never been much on newer model beds on older trucks, but you rocked this build. beautiful truck.

Salty likes this.
  17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Thanks a ton Gents!

Things are moving slow in between of everything takes longer when shiny paint is at risk and the fact that I just went through a few weeks where everything round the house broke...wife's SUV (three times in one week...two were it ain't running broke, ie a distributor and a starter...and I just finished replacing the effing A/C in it lol)

A/C in the Camaro works though!

I never used to care about A/C till I got old!

I'll get back at it finally...no worries, going to be working on finishing up all the details under the dash.

18. shadams

shadams

Holy shit dude. I lost track of the build a while back and just stumbled across it. I cannot even comprehend spending that much time sanding...... I am the type that will nitpick a paintjob to death but dont have the patience, skills, or money to do it myself) so I wont be painting mine..but that thing should be completely bad ass when finished. Serious props for sticking with it through all that...

I am really looking forward to seeing it done!!

19. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

A few folks have been asking me what the status is on the truck..it's been busy...travel, work etc but a bit of small under dash stuff has been getting done...defrost vents (not pictured) and today a milestone...this is the first time the air conditioning system has been totally sealed and connected...it ain't comin apart again either...now to hook up all the vent hoses and heater controls...it never ends ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438639760.970377.jpg

20. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Aight...I again dropped off the radar but work is being done...

I started reassembly, tail lights, headlights and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting got reinstalled. I ran out of stuff to reinstall and ran into the job I have been dreading....wire. Lots of wire.

I bought a seat frame as I hated the old stock one, it's still a bench seat however the bottom flips up therefore leaving me a bunch of space under the seat. There was a master plan to the flip up seat as I don't have a lot of room under the dash due to the A/C and installing windshield wipers where there were originally none. Plus unfortunately this electrical system is no longer the simple farm truck it started out as. There is a lot of control modules for various systems that I want to remain hidden.

So I mounted the fuse block under the seat and started pulling wire....its a lot more complicated than that, relays, three different control modules and all of my switches are mounted on the seat riser (I didn't want a bunch of switches cluttering up the dash)

So headlights, dimmer, windshield wiper, compressor override, window, ignition and fan override switches are mounted on the riser.

It's less of a mess now than when I had a mile of wire everywhere...and will continue to get cleaner as circuits get completed and the loom gets installed after the wire is totally done.

Back of the truck is done, most of the under seat wire and all wire is pulled through the applicable bulkheads.

Have I mentioned how much I hate wire?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452149410.642058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452149466.923174.jpg

Happy new year! Here's to getting her done this year!

Chucky and 62hotcat like this.
  21. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

Really nice work! You have put a lot of effort in to the details of this truck and it shows. Can't wait to see it in person one day. Keep it up

22. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Nice! Looking good :)

23. chrishallett83

chrishallett83

It's been a long time, Salty! Any news?

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've taken a extended leave from work (I call it my yearly mental health month) I take off from thanksgiving to mid January...I've gotten lots done....I have some gremlins in the power section (grounding issues I believe) and I got power on the truck enough to fire it and break in the cam,,,,

I also got the tonnoe cover adjusted and working....waiting on some parts to get here to totally wash my hand from that shit show...what a pain...got all new glass cut....pre-tinted side and back glass...BUT when I ordered all of my weatherstrip I must forgot to get a rear window gasket...ordered one of those and now waiting on that....while attempting to do the windshield install I realized I have the writing wrong year gasket....now I'm waiting on one of those...so I am wiring side Windows and dealing with all the issues like that pop up when you section a vehicle....shit doesn't line up right....things you didn't take into account (aka the door popper now inter fears with the window regulator....)

I'm making headway though!

I'll post a video soon of the engine start up as well as the tonnoe cover actuation....it's pretty slick!b View attachment 3419622 View attachment 3419623 View attachment 3419624

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    chrishallett83 likes this.