Register now to get rid of these ads!

***** tech week, step by step to lace/flake/candies/patterns/custom paint *****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryno, May 11, 2013.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

You mentioned "intercoat clear" for in between colors, effects. I use PPG products....do you know what their equivalent "intercoat clear" would be? I cant say I have ever heard of it in their line. BTW, love your truck looks awesome.

2. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Ryno. You've inspired me to give this a try on a scrap fuel tank. Thanks for your time.

3. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Can I ask you a quick question?

On a flake job where people spray black around the perimeter of say an 1/8" tape to give it a shadow effect, is that black base coat paint or some special type of black candy paint?

4. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hey buddy,
    You know I loves me some Ryno "artpaint". That's what I call your work when I describe it to others. Are you gonna make the Roundup this year?

ryno likes this.
  5. ryno

ryno

ive never used it, but i believe ppg line would be dbc 500

just mix some std black base coat, into some color binder/inter coat clear to give you a "tranny black"

6. ryno

ryno

yes, doc i will be the round up, looking forward to seeing you and the new car!
    ill be in my wagon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ryno

ryno

photo credit of last pic to cory mcmahon

8. zpi28

zpi28

RYNO this is the best write up I have found on the Web. Awesome work and tons of patience you have doing this work. I have begun doing some work on the roof of my 64 C10. I am using a Saturn Gold Firemist base and layed some 2.5mm dark gold flakes in the first 2 coats of clear. Now im going to start over and try a version of your method but with this Gold base and using Intercoat with candy and lace. Thank you for sharing this ART work.

my base
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Flakes in clear..
    [​IMG]

ryno and dana barlow like this.
  9. ryno

ryno

10. So question let's say I didn't want to use so many clear coats have you tried one of those flake guns where you spray clear then dry flake on the clear and clear over it instead of suspending the flake in clear

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Love the gold color. Reminds me of the Aztec gold so many were using in the late 50's and early 60's.

12. ryno

ryno

I don't care for the dry flake buster style method. Tried it when it came out years ago. One of the issues is the flake stands up on edge and you end up having to use way more clear to burry them, and when sanding it down if your not using a silver flake some color flake is silver based, so when you cut through the color you will have a silver edge...