Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car from hell throws me a bone!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Got up early Saturday planning to go to a "come as you are" car show. Just an informal get-together at a local Home Depot parking lot. Plan was to clean it up and drive over about 4:00 PM. Great do you think it would start ...not a freakin chance.
    Sooo I changed the coil, nada; Soo changed the condenser nada... well time to pull the distributor. Absolutely nothing wrong point gap perfect rotor on tight (RTV).
    I'm now thinkin this POS has done it to me again! As an after thought I ran some 600 thru the points and put the distributor back in planning on pulling all the plugs. Hit the starter and it kicked right over purred like a female with a fat charge card. Sooo over we went and it ran about as good as it can absolutely perfect:
    • Oil pressure @ 45 #'s hot
    • Water temp @ 175
    • Amps @ 6.7
    • 10 miles to the gallon (oh well)
    By the way there was a one million dollar car there... a Mc Claren F1 with all the bells and whistles. About a 30 year old kid was driving it. I'm doing something wrong!
    IMG_0823.jpg

volvobrynk and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Would much rather have your ride than some million dollar penis-mobile.

3. Well probably the only thing you done wrong was live a good honest life and not be born to a family that left you with a big fat trust fund. :D

I had an old motorcycle once that for whatever reason would just stop running for no apparent reason once in a while. I chalked it up to wanting the attention. ;)

4. Old cars refusing to start......that's traditional.
    What's wrong with that?

5. rockfish

rockfish

I came home from the hospital in a '38 Ford coupe but I'd take the McLaren. I like all cool cars. Old or new. Stock or modified. Maybe I'm not narrow minded enough. Great looking Ford you've got there. I totally understand how they can frustrate you sometimes though.

redo32 and kaspar like this.
  6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I was thinkin that if I had that McClarin I could sell it and:
    • Finish my F1 project
    • Pay off the farm
    • Buy a new F450
    • Buy a new Horse trailer
    • Put 500K in the bank and retire

7. I've seen that car before...Gene, are you in the Richmond/Rosenberg area (Texas)?

8. LOL if you listen to the talking heads 500k isn't enough to retire. Maybe you can get by with the old horse trailer. :D

9. Sounds like my 56 buick wagon.lol.Bruce.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you are doing something wrong, it's the order that you navigate from non runner to runner. Other then that you seem like an alright guy, with a good taste in cars.

On a side note; putting one pic up is teasing, and you don't want your friends to know you are a tease, do you? And if you only do it this ones, and fix it now(!), it gets pulled from the "wrong-column" to the "right-column".
    Nice car you got.

Keep at it, lad.

I em a born and raised car guy, I can appreciate all cars and the work put in to them.

But I could never love a maclaren! Not like I could love a 1965 ford pick up, a Chevy AD or a Model A. And that's why I'm here!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Just hearing the words CAR FROM HELL reminds me of a 67 Chevelle,,that car hated me and it was a red letter day the day I sold it! HRP

12. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

If that McLaren refused to start, it might cost one F-450 to fix it! I'll stick with the old stuff.

13. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

You mean there's two of us on here that aren't narrow minded? Just joking but that whole "my (insert type of car) is awesome and every other type of car is a piece of shit" thing just escapes me.

14. rockfish

rockfish

Moby, you and I think alike. I'm not trying to give 2many projects a hard time either but like you said, no need to knock a brand/style/age/model of car that makes someone else happy.

When I see a "kid" in a lowered Honda or Subaru WRX, I'm just happy to see that younger people still have a passion for cars and are working with what's available to them. I grew up with a dad that was a car guy and was fortunate to have access to his tools and knowledge when I was in high school. Even back then I knew I was really lucky and now 30 years past high school I see that even fewer kids have that access. Times are just changing. I have 3 daughters and only my youngest (9 years old) shares my interest in cars. I'm grateful for that.

I understand the focus of this site and appreciate that but I think it can make a person look small minded when he has to criticize what someone else likes or owns. If everyone drove traditionally inspired hot rods how could I stand out out from the crowd and feel better about myself:D

I'm with you Gene. I can appreciate the engineering of the McLaren, but I'd pay off the house, finish a few projects and at least dream about retiring someday.:D Let's see some more pics of your Ford.

15. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Yup, same here. I can appreciate everything from lowered Hondas to Cobra kit cars to hill climb bikes to.......well, pretty much everything that has a following. Hell, I even enjoy watching Chesapeake crab skiff races and lawn mower races and any other kind of odd ball racing. Just because hot rods are my real passion doesn't mean I can't enjoy other stuff or I need to bust on everything else. "Can't we all just get along?"

Sorry OP, now back to our regular scheduled programing.

volvobrynk likes this.