Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my first project thread, 52 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRAINS!, Jun 2, 2013.

1. dgnj

dgnj
    from Central NJ

Enjoying this thread. Good Luck with it.

2. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

If it is blowing a fuse instantly you have a direct short somewhere, which fuse is blowing? Can you use an ohmmeter? My guess is you have one wire in the wrong place somewhere.....It is possible the switch is bad but unlikely, I would start with the wire at fuse block of the circuit that is blowing and trace it from there out you can ohm it to ground if you get continuity then its grounded out could be a cut wire but most likely you just landed one of them wrong somewhere.....nice build btw!!

3. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

It's the 20 amp fuse that keeps blowing The coil wire has no continuity I checked that with an ohm meter. It's a brand new harness so not likely there is a cut wire I am wondering if that conduit wire on my ignition switch is the 4th terminal since I only have 3 with nuts.

4. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Bc the wire that comes out of the conduit from the switch on the engine bay side is hot when the battery is hooked up so I'm thinking this is where my problem lies. What needs to be hooked up there?

5. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Hard to tell without being there and seeing it but maybe a wire on the switch landed in wrong place, im not positive but don't think you should have one constantly hot coming out of switch only one constant hot should be going to switch, maybe that's the one in the wrong spot? Just a guess...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well after running some tests yesterday afternoon I am beginning to think it is the original switch in the car is the problem so I am gonna pick up a new switch today and see if that doesnt help things. I hooked up the purple wire to the wire coming out of the conduit and when i turned the key on the motor spun and then i left that wire unhooked and when i hit the key to start it blew the fuse again. If the switch doesnt take care of it I am just gonna pay someone to finish the wiring for me so I dont have tot deal with the headache of it

7. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I figured out the fuse issue at least temporarily. It's something with the wipers so I just unhooked those. Still doesn't seem to be getting any spark. Should the coil wire have continuity when the key is on but not to the start position?

8. Great thread. I'm so glad you kept the Hemi.

With a Camaro clip and a SBC, it would've been just another ho-hum car. This will be special.

I had a 53 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop years ago and should've kept it and dropped some kind of cool MOPAR engine in it.

9. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I gave up on the wiring. I have somebody coming over on Sunday to take a look at the wiring and since all wires are ran its not gonna cost me a whole lot to have him hook everything up and make sure everything has power this way I know it's done right

George likes this.
  10. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Updates? Pay attention to what your "electrician" does/finds that way you know in the future! Good luck to ya!

11. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I was pretty impressed with the guy who came to look at the electrical. He's gonna get everything all hooked up Should be getting back to me tonight with a number!

12. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well the wiring is coming along pretty well, Got 7 hours in and prob another 7 hours left, I almost had it running yesterday but it shot some fire out the passenger side header and started some shit on fire that was on the floor under the car, could've been really bad but thanks to some fast acting I got it put out right away so I cleaned everything up and am going let it dry out for a good week before I give it another shot but I am confident its going to run after yesterday so that makes me very happy!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  13. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Getting my transmission crossmember fabricated and welded in tomorrow. Should be wrapping up all the wiring this Sunday and by then I think the floor will be dry enough by then to try and fire it off again hopefully without a fire

14. 73RR

73RR

Very good to hear that progress continues. I'll admit that I did have a chuckle about your fireball under the car...and very happy that you were able to keep it contained!! Fire is a evil monster when it is unleashed.
    A clean workspace is not a bad thing.

15. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Progress is coming right along. I just realized today I will probably get some leader pipes made so it at least has some exhaust on it when I start it. Got the cross member all bolted it and everything is coming along great! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431645362.233845.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431645387.214779.jpg

16. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

All the wiring is basically done except for the power windows! Pretty crazy to have all my lights and everything working with new wire. I just need to button everything up and shorten wires and put permanent connectors on, all the time consuming stuff. I do have to ask if anyone knows where I can find the factory wiring diagrams for the power windows? I have the shop manual for it and they arent included in the wiring diagrams which I found to very strange. i am also in need of a power window motor and track for the passenger side

17. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I tried to fire again yesterday with no fire thankfully but no luck, it was popping off some and I am surprised it didnt go:(

18. George

George

firing order right?

19. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Yes the firing order is correct, I checked it twice, I believe the problem might be I am only able to advance the timing so far because the vacuum advance hits the intake(Im running a GM style HEI) and even if I were to shave the nipple there is still a certain area I cant use. Anyone else run into this problem?

20. George

George

You might have to move the int shaft a tooth or 2 if inadequate travel.

21. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I will give that a try George. I got my new rear end put in the morning and decided to put it under the leaf springs and I gotta say I like it. It sits about 5 inches higher than before but it sat way too low before and the shackle lift kit I bought would have put it up just as high ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433695647.335115.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433695675.631731.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433695722.252363.jpg

22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

That looks a bit high. What build style are you going for?

23. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Not going for any style in particular Just whatever I like and I would rather have it be a bit too high than the stock low sag

24. raidmagic

raidmagic

Good answer. Build what you want.

25. George

George

High makes for easy tire changes!:)

26. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Ha. Sure does. When I took the tires off to get the old rear end out what a pain in the ass they were to get off

27. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I advanced the intermediate shaft a few teeth and it runs!!!!!

Ford52PU likes this.
  28. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

29. George

George

:)

30. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I need some advice on how to adjust this carb, Im not familiar with it at all and the thing wants to idle wicked high and I cant seem to locate the Idle screw, it has a carter off a 57 new yorker on it, its been rebuilt, so awesome to finally hear this thing run after 2 years, I should be driving it by the end of the summer