Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods air paddle valve clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1963hoopty, Mar 31, 2015.

1. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

I put air ride on my 63 and i am using 1/4 paddle valves. I want to know the best way to clamp to the valves and connect to my air lines. I have 3/8 dot line so i will have to reduce it down since the valves are for 1/4 line. I want to run one per bag so i can balance out ride height. Can i just use regular hose clamps? Any info on this is greatly appreciated!! Also any pics of paddle valve setups will help alot! Thanks guys!

2. you might get some answers if you post on a lowrider forum,,

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or he could ask here, and you could hold the attitude. Drama gets threads closed, and stifles the free-flow of information.

Are the fittings on the valves pipe thread? Hose barb?

No, hose clamps will not be up to the task at hand.

4. DOT line is normally used with ferule fittings or push-lock fittings that are meant to be used with that particular type of tubing. You should be able to get them where you got the tubing, or NAPA. I prefer ferule to push-lock.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. 54vicky

54vicky

gimpy I dont think he meant it the way it came out.could have been worded different that is the biggest problem using keyboard .when face to face other person can see that there was no ill meant.they can than respond what do you mean by that they and could reply I do not think that there are many if any people here that could answer.good luck blah blah.or they could just turn the channel

wbrw32 likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a ton of people on this board who are happy to, and capable of answering his questions.

7. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

When I did mine I safety wired them. I also built a manifold with a 1/2 feed then reduced to 1/4. Feeding the bags with 3/8. I'll post some pics in the am

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Sorry to upset you Mr Gimpy...But I told him exactly where he could get a BETTER answer..
    afterall,its not really what this forum is about...

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

I had the barb and hose clamp on my first air ride. It leaked and I had a line blow off after that I went to dot line and dot compression fittings with zero issues I can leave my car all winter and still have air in the bags and tank. There is also a dot push connect fitting they cost a little more and are not necessary unless you are taking lines on and off for some reason

10. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Heres a pic of my setup. 1/2" feedin in ,Y to switches and guages then back to mainfold. 3/8' from bottom of mainfold to bags P2030151.JPG P2030151.JPG Picture 247.jpg

Attached Files:

1963hoopty and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy your opinions, and I do keep in mind the notion that that is all they are.

"Exactly"? I see no URL for a particular web forum.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    1963hoopty likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing for PTC (push to connect) fittings, for best success, they need to be cut dead-square, and with no burrs.

Invest in a good cutter. They are not expensive. Don't abuse it.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good PTC fittings can be found here:

http://thorbros.com/catalog/fittings

Use Loctite 545 on the threads. The stuff can seal square threads, if you allow it to properly harden.

Be careful of "hardware store" brass fittings. They are often of poor manufacture, and quality.

14. Well I am probably not capable but I am happy. :D

Yu should be able to buy a fitting that moves up or down in size from your port, for instance if it is a ferule fitting you should be able to go from 1/4" pipe to 3/8" ferule with one fitting that screws into your valve.

Actually if it wee a real low rider or a Bomba the traditional roots of the low riders I would be more then happy to get a look at it. But I got a soft spot for the old school zoot suiters. ;)

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as you're happy, and nobody's getting hurt, you're all good Beaner.

16. Well you're here in case I screw up. ;) :D

hey do the cholos still hang in the mission?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not many of them left. The hipster techies, and their $4000/mo. studios, chased them out.

I miss the old guard. When Ché and the boys moved to Brentwood, Oakley, and Antioch, the writing was on the wall.

18. Damned shame, I nearly grew up playing in the mission. Good people, they always treated the red headed kid real well.

19. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

Thanks for all the help guys! Didnt mean to ruffle anyones feathers right off the bat! Well i figured out a solution. The paddles i got are airlift and they have the barb on the back for 1/4 line. I have some parker 1/4 hp air line that i got off a packaging machine from my work and it fits perfect on the barbs. The machines i build all have extensive pneumatic systems that all use push lock fittings. Everything i work with is metric(german company) but #6 metric fittings fit the line great an i have shitloads of spare fittings. The lines to my bags are 3/8 but i just ran it to a t an used a reducer for the #6 fittings. We had some small clamps that i made work at the valve barb. I know paddles are slower but i just figure its less shit to worry about failing. And the less electrical the better! I am gonna finish up my front system this weekend an i will post some pics of my plumbing. I made a couple of safety connectors with schrader valves so i can air a bag up individually if theres problems. Heres a couple pics of my "frankenstein" 63. My wife calls it that because of my stainless steel body patches! Thanks again so much to u guys for sharing the info!

Attached Files:

20. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

Does anybody know where to get paddle valves with npt instead of barbs? I have seen some manual industrial ones but im not sure if they have a dump. As for sealing we use loctite 545 on all our air fittings at work and we use 5min epoxy on vacuum fitting so it would seal good as long as it never has to be removed! And hey porknbeaner im just up the road from you! Nice to meet ya!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live to serve.