Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what did i buy(33 ford pick-up)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rsssbelair, Mar 30, 2015.

1. rsssbelair

rsssbelair
    from nebraska

Thank you all for the help you have given me so far, there are a few thing that I should clear up.

I grab all of this stuff but the cab on the last trip, I have been paying the guy off in chucks. I got the cab the front sheet metal, grill, headlights (those will be the next things I need to id), hood and side hoods on the first trip.

This time came the frame the axles and the motor and box. The box looks like it's not right for a 33 but there isn't much there left so it might be a mute point .

I got a title for it as well, it matches the motor, and on the title it say motor #. But there are # on the frame to that I need to get decoded.

My father had a dodge red ram hemi. 241? I think, that I was thinking of buying from him for this build. I don't think I will use the banger, cause of the highway speeds.

I don't know if that 2 speed rear end will hold up to a hemi, I know it isn't much of a motor.

I have a 33 grill shell for it, so the other grill was a load it up item along with the truck.

Thanks again for all the help, when I'm done at work today I will load more pics and have some more questions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Don't mean to start an argument here, but I always thought '33 and '34 were the same and only '32 didn't have the wide belt line.
    32rear.jpg

3. alchemy

alchemy

I don't mean to argue either, but I thought the wide belt line was a running change somewhere in 33 to 34.

4. Not trying to argue the point,after helping build several 32's, 2 - 33's and 3 -34's Ford pickups this is how they shake out.

The 33 & 34 Ford trucks have a welding in firewall but the 33 Ford trucks shared the same belt line as the 32's.

Could it have been a later modification in late 33 ,it's possible but the 33's we built were like I said and the titles reflected that fact. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Model A motor, has the oil drain tube from the valve cover, B motor didn't have the drain line and had a fuel pump. The trans is a truck 4 speed, will have a granny low gear. The rear end is a Columbia and is a good item if it is in good shape and good for parts if it has problems. Motor and trans are the only Model A parts I see.

6. Don't sell the motor until you get everything titled and kosher. Right now if you are titled on motor number that is your Vin, you can get that changed by filing the proper paperwork but you will need the old motor for them to verify the numbers. I went though this with an Arkansas '55 Chevy that a friend bought, it was still titled on the motor number, which did not match the vin tag/serial number.

Fortunately my friend kept his contact info and the fella still had the old engine block. which we went to Arkansas to pick up so that we could show the DMV that yes we had something that matched the number on the title. The state issues a new title showing both the old motor number as void and the new number that matched the body number. Nebraska will no doubt do it differently but you will still no doubt need something that matches the title.

Oh and I want to entire into the belt line argument here, why did that change it? :D :D

7. The extra larger band above to two beads was to prevent the back of the cab from oil canning and added strength. HRP

8. Shit I would have made something up instead of telling the truth if it were me. :D Thanks

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Half of the 32 Ford PUs at the shows have 34 cabs with the 3rd belt molding. Most likely "re-cabbed along the way. After all these years you can't go by the year on the window sticker at the shows. Lots of mid west 1 1/2 grain trucks gave up their cabs to rusty east coast 32 PUs over the years. AFAIK only 34 PUs have the 3rd molding.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This, OR go all out and dress that AA block up like the B banger that would be correct for 33 and hop it up!

I may be wrong, (probably am) but aren't the major differences the oiling/valve cover and the distributor workings? And isn't the starter in a different spot?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Nebraska uses the frame number to title early fords. If you use the engine number, you'll be using a model A ford number and model A's were not built after 1931. I hope the title matches your frame number because getting a new title in Nebraska is a double bitch!
    BTW, 34s had the fat moulding line across the cab back as has been described and 33 and 32s didn't. 32s had a bolt-in firewall. 33 and 34 had a pressed-out character line all the way across the top just behind the visor but 32s were smooth in this area. Here's my old 33 cab on a 34 frame with a 27 box and a 47 engine with 39 steering and a 46 rear axle !! 33atspeed.jpg

12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

If the engine has a fuel pump on the side it's a B if no fuel pump then its an A

13. Rocky,the late 32's did have the character line just behind the visor,,mine did. HRP

[​IMG]

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB