Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering box for 36 ford (Help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bolsa boy, Mar 31, 2015.

1. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

What steering gear box is best to replace the original box in my 36 Ford?

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vega , speedway sells everything .....

3. 1937 ( and I think through 1940). Good post for fordbarn. This is an easy, common upgrade (even with the restorers) since the box went through a major redesign in 1937. You might want to give a little more information about your car that might change my recommendation.

Charlie Stephens

4. The new design steering box that came out in '37 was used on cars through '48 and trucks through '47. Rebuild parts are available, and these boxes in good condition and correctly adjusted will give you smooth, easy steering. '37-'39 will be the easiest to adapt to your '36, column lengths vary some, but the box itself is the same. The column shaft and worm are all one piece. If you are not wanting to keep the stock looking column, you can use a '60s-'70s GM Saginaw box from one of the mid-size GM cars. You can use the stock Ford pitman arm on the GM Saginaw box, as the splines are the same.

5. 331 ABOD

331 ABOD
    from minnesota

6. 331 ABOD

331 ABOD
    from minnesota

I have a 37 column,box,pitman arm. Original that's been in the shed for longer than I want it to.
    Planned to use it on 28 roadster, went Vega instead. I didn't go through it , but it' all there , even horn wire. Steering wheel is pretty rough. PM if interested thanks

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

used a Vega on mine
    Pete and Jakes mount in place of stock mount, and in lieu of Chassis Engineering mount that goes over the original one, (keeps it closer to frame)
    Stock 36 column, with new stock upper bushing. Stock steering piece is 3/4 OD pipe. Used 2 universals to go from the frame to the box. one universal was welded to the column and pinned. Used a bearing from local bearing store for bottom of column/shaft. Then used a collar outside of that to keep it snug.

8. bolsa boy,

Are you still out there? What kind of engine do you have? Does the stock '36 box clear?

Charlie Stephens

9. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

I'm running a 350/350 combo for the drive train. The original box clears fine. Just trying to get rid of the wobble. I'm looking for something newer that is easier to find parts for. looks like the Vega box is pretty common. Is Speedway Motors a good source? I haven't tried anything from them.