Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What causes a TH-350 to blow off the servo cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

This just happened to me AGAIN! Just oiled down my street with 7 qts of Dextron 5. The first time it happened I assumed the wire snap retainer wasn't installed correctly, so I reinstalled it, made sure it was seated and drove it for a couple hundred miles with no issues. Then today, it did the same exact thing. Transmission guys, any ideas?

2. Hey Root- I've NEVER experienced that,and had TH 350's for a lot of years.... Even wrenching on old stocker stuff that came with that trans,did'nt even see a leak there......
    Is this a rebuilt trans from a shop? Something is going on that ISN"T normal...........:(

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

It came in the car. It was a new Summit transmission.

4. Got it...... Just an FYI- and from someone who's had a th350 for many years in my own cars,customers cars,and at work, when there were still car's /trucks running them, I have never seen that problem. Possibly a cut o-ring..... IDK..... Cant be too much else..... Might try that first.... An easy try......

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have the o ring in hand, it's perfect. I am baffled.

6. Well...... Only thoughts are= the o-ring can be the culprit,the cover is outta whack,or worst case,....which I hate to say is the trans case/housing,but let's not go there just yet..........Try a NEW o-ring,and possibly a DIFFERENT cover. Let's do the simple(although a P.I.A. ) stuff first.......

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm wondering if the retainer groove is worn.

8. I have seen corroded grooves cause the spring retainer to let go. Not sure if yours would be though?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. blue57ford

blue57ford

When you reinstalled the snap ring, did you give the ends a tug to expand it? Those snap rings are known to collapse over time.

10. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

can you run a pick around the inside of the retainer groove to make sure it is clean? Also, possibly feel to see if the shoulder is rounded over which would be a big ol' bummer.

11. Check the groove for corrosion. Check the snap ring for rust.
    Find a clean one..stretch it out a bit.
    I have never seen this happen.
    What is inside the cover? Spring?

(It is actually an accumulator and cover)

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

I did check the groove the first time. I am wondering what the spring inside is for? I know there is a cup in there that slides but what is the function? I may buy a new cover and snap ring. It just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy and I am heading 5 hours away Friday.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump....Anyone ever heard of this?

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Is the vent clear?If that matters ,i dont know.

15. I had a different trans do that. The original spring retainer was definitely weak. But it did it again. I think I was because the groove was corroded. Pretty sure I ended up putting it together with a new retainer and filling it up with JB weld.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look at the edge of the cover to make sure it is not rolled out to make it want to push the lock ring out.

17. I had a trans guru build a TH350 for my OT Camaro many years ago and he brazed the retainer ring to the cover. He musta seen it happen a lot before when pressures were raised internally. I know the ring groove wears over time due to band applying pressures pushing on the 1-2 servo cover.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm pulling the tranny today. Screw it.

19. Why are you pulling it? Or do you have another one to swap in?

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If youve ever sprayed 7 qt of tranny fluid down a road and on the undercarrage its not something you want to repeat ,specially if you live near bikers.

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A round ring in a round grove can be pushed out by pressure. Take a piece of 1/8 " welding rod and cut it to length to fit between the ends of the ring that holds the cover on. Hold it in place with epoxy, JB weld etc. Then the ring can't come out of the groove.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I pulled it. I have another one on the shelf. I'll have this one looked into and see if anything looks abnormal.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My "guess", would be the retaining ring is weak, from being put-in-taken-out-put in-taken out, and has just gotten weak, OR the ring is deformed. The retaining ring groove could also be worn, corroded, or damaged in some way. I'm sure the trans has had some level of a shift kit installed, and the extra pressure may add to weak or deformed retaining ring popping out. An extra retaining bracket could be fabricated, and longer pan bolts used to hold that in place. I am Butchy/56sedandelivery.

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would have to agree the snap ring must be weak or deformed making it not fin right into the groove. I really can't see a problem with the groove in the case though, that would really be rare

25. belair

belair

I think you're just hard on stuff.

cvstl likes this.
  26. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Probably not your problem, but to install a snap-ring the correct way feel the edges. One side will have a sharp edge, the other not so much. This is due to the manufacturing process, stamping. The sharp edge
    side goes to the outside. If one is installed reversed then the "smoother" edge doesn't offer as much resistance to being dislodged. Probably will get some gaff for mentioning this, but it's true.

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

I was taught this in HS auto shop. still do it today.

28. The snap ring is made from ROUND wire.
    The accumulator is to tailor and cushion the second gear shift.
    The spring works in conjunction with fluid to dampen the shift.
    I usually make a spacer in place of the spring to hold the piston all the way in so it doesn't slam back and forth.You can use a piece of PVC or EMT conduit. Just make it long enough so the snap ring will just pop into place.
    Never done this ,but I suppose you could put about 3 , 1/8" steel pop rivets around the snap ring to hold it in.