Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car lifts off stands when I compress control arms??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by thechondro, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Was kinda cold out last night, could have used a couple of them for added warmth.

2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I love how your post assumes that everyone has " the tractor bucket" in their shop..... I sincerely do love it...

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Something is not right.
    You should be able to have the spring on a bench, fully compressed with a similar compressor. So if the spring is on the bench, your car won't raise.

If you put the floor jack under the control arm, of course the car will come off the stands

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I wasn't assuming anything, just explaining how we got ours together because of the same problem. Don't be a douche.

Texas57 likes this.
  5. Damn. I wish I had a tractor now. Lol. That's pretty cool that you did that. Definitely a new one

chaddilac likes this.
  6. I'm a little bit paranoid about the slippage, chaining it to the jack. Maybe I'll compress it and chain the actual spring for safety.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree. You don't have the spring compressed enough, there shouldn't be any need for the floor jack. You may have to compress the coils until they actually touch each other.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Think I'll put that on my refrigerator. I'll never eat again!

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've used a press to compress the spring and install the compressor or 3/4" banding to hold it in situations where there is no room for a compressor. You can slowly release the pressure to make sure the compressor or banding hold. Install the spring and cut the banding. Usually 4 pieces of banding is enough.

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I always wanted to go to Australia and now I know why. There are some real babes there

11. CadMad

CadMad

Australia used to be "up top". But the weight of these girls pulled us "down under".

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. I think Panheadguy nailed it. That's how I did my '57, only I used 5/8 threaded rod . Milling machine table clamps work great with this for the straps. The threaded rod gives the additional safety advantage of having a rod down thru the center to retain the spring if something goes wrong. Make sure the threaded rod is long enough to let the lower control arm all the way down.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main problem is that with no engine you just don't have the weight to resist against the jack.
    When I was doing front end work I had the front springs out of rigs almost daily to rebuild the lower A frames and never used a spring compressor using two truck tire irons instead. One to slide the spring into the pocket and the other through the coils to lift the back side of the coil and slide the coil in on the one on the bottom. I did most of them on a single post hoist where I could let the car down on the jack rather than have to work the jack but have done plenty on the shop floor.
    Outside of working on Ford Falcons, early Mustangs and first generation Novas The only time in the past 45 years I tried to use a spring compressor was on a 57 Chevy with no engine in it that a guy asked me to help him put the front suspension back together on. I finally gave up on that one and never did hear if they got the springs back in it. I know guys do it all the time but I have never done it that way.

14. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I don't think you understand me. I am honestly saying that I sincerely love it. I wish I had one laying around now. Reminds me of living in Virginia or North Carolina where I used to live. Not in Los Angeles . Didn't mean offense at all. I was being sincere

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Oh ok! I thought you were making smart remarks! :) sorry.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

No worries my friend.

volvobrynk and chaddilac like this.
  17. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427835724.391184.jpg back on the bench the compressor is low on top because there needs to be clearance to get into the frame. Just a heads up. But I might try to lift a little bit higher.

18. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Crank on that some more, get it[the compresser] closer together at the threads, even if it slips it's not going anywhere it'll just wind down the spiral and stay contained. If that was a nice smooth newly powder coated or painted coil then I'd worry a little bit but that rough surface isn't going to slip.

19. View attachment 2871599 got it! And I totally did just that ralphie. It kept twisting away from the notch. So I had to hold it with a crowbar with one hand. As I used the impact gun, to loosen the compressor. Unfortunately the top of the compressor is still within the springs. LOL but it's loose it's not tight. So it'll probably fall out while I'm driving it LOL. But that's okay because it was a cheap ass compressor

20. Andy

Andy

I would lay boards ot top of the frame and put some engines on them.

21. Nah, the shock will keep it in

22. I didn't even think about that Vicky! I ended up getting it out though. Thanks for the heads up though!

23. That's exactly the process I use. Compress on the bench and use strapping. Many cars have cups that the compressor wont fit in and don't allow you to compress enough coils. If you are just compressing the middle 5 or 6 you aren't going to shorten the coils enough for installation.

24. Serious now..Go to HD and buy about six bags of concrete mix.
    Pile them on the radiator support or cross member.
    Crank the tool some more till you can make up the ball joint nut with your jack.
    After, take the concrete back for a refund!

thechondro and Spoggie like this.
  25. Road Angels

Road Angels

Hummmmmm I think the razor blade on the bench with white powder all over may have somthing to do with it.....LOL

thechondro likes this.
  26. Y'all need to admit that good ol' gal sure do look good

27. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Usually if you jack it up and let the suspension drop you can get the piece out.

28. Taking the spring out is the easy part. Putting a full-length one back in with no engine is the chore. Just grab as many coils as possible with the compressor and crank it down tight. I used shorter springs in my '59 and they went in with no compressor.

thechondro likes this.
  29. I can't help that I snort silver flake!!! Why do you have to point out my flaws!!!