Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 Portland Roadster Show ... Who's Going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TraditionalKustoms, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

we want to see the good, the bad and the ugly - more pics?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

400+ photos here http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr48chev/library/2015 PORTLAND ROADSTER SHOW?sort=2&page=1

Some great, some good, some OT some strange and not many but maybe a couple of ugly. As a rule I don't take photos of late model almost stock cars, rat rods or theme anythings though. No Studebaker coupe painted up to look like a WWII fighter in my batch of photos.

3. glmke

glmke

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427135961.189044.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427136062.619243.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427136447.572769.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427136517.425068.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427136842.669839.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427137048.905893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427137122.955788.jpg
    A small sample of our club display and Ron Dun's 1950 ford

NWGreaser likes this.
  4. redo32

redo32

First, Thanks Mr 48 Chev for posting the pictures!! Before I get into my 2 cents with the rest of you whiners, a little of my background. As I stated above I have been coming to the PRS for 50 years. I am a member and past president of Reflections Street Rods, a club that assisted Bob Schoonhoven and Knechts Auto Parts produce the Eugene Autorama. The last 15 years we were the sole producers of the show. As Show Chairman I was responsible for reserving the Lane County Fairgrounds, co-ordinating the vendors, advertising, participants and admissions. In 15 years the price of the building QUADRUPLED. In the last ten years it has doubled again. For the first time in over 50 years there will not be a car show at the Lane Co Fairgrounds. (A plug for Dennis, It will be the Springfield Roadster Show, next week end). Most of these facilities no longer are subsidized by your tax dollar and must charge the users appropriately.
    MHRA has no control over the parking or the food concessions. Park downtown, sneak in a ham sandwich and the Expo center will not make their projected profit and will raise the cost of the building.

I am not a member of MHRA, nor their appointed historian, but if I recall what I've read over the years they formed in the '50's for the same reasons as many other clubs and associations of that era. To better the public perception of Hot Rodders. To get the racers off the streets and start a drag strip. Drag strips cost money, so in order to raise money MHRA had a car show. They did not do it so egotistical little snots could brag to their friends that they won a trophy at the Portland Roadster Show.

As to the quality of the cars. In the early years I thought they were all "SHOW" cars. I only had the cars in the high school parking lot & the guys dragging the "Gut" to compare to. Since then I've been to The "Oakland Roadster Show" and the GNRS in Pomona many times and 20 years to SEMA. I've seen the best of Brizio, Troy, Chip and Boyd. A few times I've had the opportunity to judge them. There were some damn fine cars there this year. About a dozen of them that we saw at the GNRS this year. And you're whining because you drove 100 miles or across town to see them.

MHRA supports their member car clubs and allows them to display their cars. Sometimes the member cars are not up to the expectation that a person paying admission wants to see. If you believe and understand the vision and purpose of the organization as a whole you kind of bite your lip and accept it with a grain of salt. Maybe you can encourage that guy to fix his car up a little nicer for next year.

PRS is one of the oldest and most respected shows in the western US, but in many ways it is still a local show. The glory days of ISCA in the '70's & 80's when dozens of show cars where on the circuit and came to town to compete for national points are over. There are a lot of quality cars built in the Northwest, but not 400 new ones every year so that you don't have to see a repeat. Reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" are the best thing on TV some nights. There are a lot of guys that showing their car is their biggest thrill in life, and they do it every year. Did you see the trophies in Shanaman's display. That might be repetition, but it is also history.
    It's pretty expensive to show a car, if your from out of town and bring a couple buddies to help set up your car and even the rich guys are carefully budgeting where they are going to go.

So Driven Dead and Bub, sorry that you are disappointed. There are always "no shows" , interior didn't get done, my tow truck broke, somebody got sick. All kinds of excuses and the promoters have to fill the space and make it look like a full show. So it's up to you, you've been given the space. Make Hall C the social, traditional mecca of the NorthWest show season. Suede Palace in Pomona is the place to be and you can do the same.

Old_School and lurker mick like this.
  5. glmke

glmke

wow that's allot to digest, I believe you miss understood my intent. I'm 45 years old and have attended the PRS since age 5. The last couple of years I full field a dream and had a car in the show(Kustom Kulture hall). The problem i have is the show has forgotten its roots and gone away from what the purpose this great show was intended for. The MHRC in my eyes has become a "old boys club" and unless you bow down to their demands you get pushed aside. I cant tell you how many times one of them Refered to Hall C as the "RAT ROD HALL". Im sorry but my car is not a rat rod. They are losing touch with the next generation, the generation that will carry on after they are long gone. The Driven Dead Has done the best they could, I believe Bub only got a 1 month notice that Hall C was available, and still was able to put something together. I know Hall C could be the next Suede Palace if the MHRC would get out of the way and let the people that Know do their thing. If I wanted to see New camaros,mustangs and dodges i would go to a dealership, I want to see classics,homebuilt,muscle cars,race cars,vintage,bikes, the stuff that made the PRS great.

NWGreaser likes this.
  6. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

The problem is that our club is on the MHRC and we are trying but one club vs so many others is so difficult to be heard. We really need other clubs to join the council that have the mindset of restoring it to what it was. Right now the president is part of the camero club and thinks high dollar. Our hall is constantly regarded as the "rat rod hall" when we are doing everything we can to prevent that. Like I said we can't do it alone, some other clubs should join and lets make this the next suade palace.

7. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

I do hear what you are saying, but it is hard to put on a hall when you don't have the full support of the show. We had been trying to figure out if the hall was happening and got bo return calls. When we did find out, it was 1 1/2 months before the show and they had 2 cars registered. We worked like mad to get it where it was. We also had cars registered to the hall shifted to make room for the Hot Rod Challenge and the Electric cars. The council treats hall C like the bastard hall where cars that dont deserve to be showcased go. We need the support of the hot rod community to let them know this isnt the case.

Next year is the 60th year of the show, I think we will put the hall on at least through then. We are going to push to fill a whole hall with traditional rod and customs, but it is going to take more than just us.

8. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

Okay, I'm back from the show. Let's talk upsides first then we'll get to the fun stuff...

Everyone I met at the show was great. I normally only seek out traditional kustoms at the shows I go to but I will take in some early style rods from time to time as well. I met several members of Driven Dead CC and Estranged CC - they all get a thumbs up from us. They're cool cats; super down to earth people. Due to the generosity of SoCal Northwest I was able to share some space with them so we could promote our magazine.

Of the traditional cars I normally look for - I loved what I saw. Lots of quality builds, obviously some finished and in the first hall while others were either finished or in-progress in the other halls. I'm not going to cover anything build after '63 styling since I just visually block those types of cars out at shows. I'm sure there were Camaros and such there. I just put on blinders.... ignorance is bliss!

Honestly, I think a lot of the heritage of the show is missing. This was the 59th Annual - it's not like this show is a spring chicken. Where is the central display of what made the shows so great in the past? Let's see some history .... trophies, plaques, show programs, etc. What about club jackets from area guys from back in the day?

I get that a lot of history has happened between the 1st annual and now ... but I feel a different approach might be nice. In the Main Hall: Why not group all of the traditional kustoms together? Why not group all the traditional rods together? Educate people. Get people involved. Let them know as they walk up to a cluster of non resto-mod builds that, "hey wait, something's different about all these cars!" People can get inspired by what they see. So someone needs to show them how it could be done.

I can compare to the GNRS from earlier this year. Most of the traditional builds were all grouped together. It gave you the chance to enjoy lots of cars at once instead of having to hunt around for the good stuff. If the tables were turned ... say slammed mini trucks are your thing then I'm guessing you don't want to walk past a bunch of chopped Mercs and muscle cars to get to them one by one all over the hall.

Kudos to clubs like Driven Dead who work their butts off to make things happen. I say give them even more support. Let people know that they are even AT the last hall ... and help get the word out so people can enjoy their cars too.

I'll get some pics posted up tomorrow. I'm setting some aside for our selective show coverage in issue #5. Until then...

9. glmke

glmke

Well said!! I can't speak for all of the Estanged C.C. But for me if it wasn't for the Drivendead C.C. I would not have my car in the show. I do it only to support them. Was nice to meet you this weekend look forward to the next issue.

10. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

Well it wasnt as bad as the Eugene show is going to be..Saw what was being set up and left..thought Boise was getting bad. Maybe the indoor stuff is over with..

redo32 likes this.
  11. redo32

redo32

Bill, why don't you take your grumpy old butt back to California, or at least Idaho. First, it's not Eugene. The Roadster Show is at the Willamalane Sports Center, 32nd & Main, Springfield. Your comment got me curious & I wanted to see the entertainment schedule, I heard one of my favorite local bands was playing. I hadn't been in the building before, (grand kids played soccer on the fields), the cars were setup in a large gym with hardwood floors. That reminded me when shows were in the Armory's. The lights brought out the paint jobs better than the lights at Portland or GNRS. It's not a large show and there are no Million Dollar Foose cars, but still a pretty good selection. A '32 Rolls Royce, Harley Servicar, some low riders, trailered show cars, a couple of drivers. Some newly built cars that I haven't seen before and some old standby's that seem to be at every show. I'm not disappointed in the show, it is what it is. When I want to see a thousand cars I go to Pleasanton, or 12,000 cars at Louisville. This is a neat small town show to go & enjoy yourself. I'm going to have dinner from one of the food vendors, wash it down with a brew, listen to Heavy Chevy and B.S. with my friends and check out their cars.

12. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

Yes..maybe you are correct..maybe its just that I remember driving over year after year and seeing lots of new builds. Those days are gone I guess..hard for an old grumpy man who remembers the past to accept the fact that it is not and will never be like it was..

redo32 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Redo--
    This post was right on the money in my view, somewhere along the line people lost track in the "value" of the experience.
    Bigger shows are not necessarily better, I have a 32 roadster but after the first couple of hours at the L.A. roadsters shindig I couldn't look at another red 32 highboy roadster, so I went out back and enjoyed the "real world".

redo32 likes this.
  14. Old_School

Old_School

Wow, talk about an ill informed post. First, the show is hosted by the MHRC which is a 501c3 non-profit that provides automotive related scholarships as well as supporting groups such as the Children's Cancer Association and Randal Children's Hospital. To do this, they need to raise money. It costs over $100,000 to rent the Expo Center for that weekend. The admission fees and exhibitor fees come nowhere close to covering those costs. Whether you like it or not, it's the vendors and the sponsors (some who bring in newer cars) that cover the cost of the show, and allow the MHRC to make money to support their charitable outreach. You suggest the Hot Rod Council should go away. Are you willing to put on the show? And for the next 59+ years! The Portland Roadster Show is the longest consecutively running show in the country. Do you think that has happened by accident? Oh and btw, they are the only ALL VOLUNTEER show of it's kind! Are you willing to put in 365 for nothing? Thankfully there are people willing to do so. So before you start complaining, maybe have a clue about what you are talking about. The MHRC meetings are the third Tuesday of every month at Stark St. Pizza, if you have comments or complaints come on out. And if you think you can do better, say so, you just may get the opportunity to do something about it. But as they say, be careful what you wish for.

redo32 likes this.
  15. Old_School

Old_School

Thank you Denny! People have no clue what it takes to put on a show of this magnitude, and that has been done for going on 60 straight years!

16. Old_School

Old_School

What a disappointing and frankly inappropriate post from a MHRC member club. First, Bub didn't find out only a month and a half before the show. I will just leave that as that. In regards to pushing entry to the Hall, we were recruiting cars throughout the year, and at the Left Coast Sha-Bang, while no representatives from the Driven Dead were doing such. Please be specific into the 1/4 of the cars that were moved into the main hall (which there is no "main" hall) because that is just not true. We were told that the High School Challenge cars were welcome into that hall because that was the culture's audience, the young people. So which way is it? The electric cars are also a part of the automotive culture, and once again tend to be the younger people. I noticed that there's no mention about the live music, or the pinstripers bash which all bring people into that hall. That portion of the PRS is pushed on equal footing to everything else that was going on. It's on the posters, included in all of the electronic media, was given it's own segment on Good Day Oregon, and is pushed on the PRS website. Oh, and the model car build was also back in that area. If this is your way to build teamwork between the Driven Dead, the event and the PRS, it's not going to be very effective. No one has approached either of the show promoters with these comments or concerns. But then it's easier to complain on a bulletin board. Just not as effective to fixing things.

17. Old_School

Old_School

The Portland Roadster Show and the MHRC has nothing to do with the pricing of food or parking. Complain to your elected officials at Metro. But, there's an easy fix, just don't eat while your there!

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, here is one I can chime in because I have attended this show for like...forever. I will start by saying Randy is a friend of mine and a good guy and does what he can to make this a good show. I put a car in once in a while, this is seriously OT as car content but on topic as far as PRS is concerned so I ask the court to bear with me.
    PRS3.jpg
    Yeah, yours truly with not one but two Miss Oregon's and a 1st pace trophy for that hugger orange f body OT in the background. And the obligatory wall of fame in my man cave.
    PRS1.jpg
    This was the last year we were at the convention center, we were sent to the expo center in 2011, kinda like having your garage band moved out to the outhouse behind the barn so you don't offend the animals. I put a legit barn find 69 Camaro pace car in hall C a few years back, it was the equivalent of parking in a Wal-Mart lot on freebie Friday. I was also in attendance this year with my wife who only agrees to go if I take her to dinner at the Portland City Grill ($$$), I agreed and she did like the rusty, patina, wrapped caddy, she also mentioned she had seen the rest of them at beaches and other PRS's I dragged her to. I noticed the effort Driven Dead put into hall C but half of it was a stage with a country singer bellowing along with a karaoke machine, Really?. I dig the high school cars because I was there once, but the 2010 dodge wagon with 4 grand in LEDs, the ricers, tuners and the stereo/video screen wars? Roadster Show? Not exactly at par with LA, Oakland and Detroit. That said, I don't want the responsibility. I don't have the answers. I don't even belong to a local club. But I will be there again in March 2016. It is the best in door we have locally. Thanks Randy for the effort.

Attached Files:

• PRS2.jpg
      PRS2.jpg
      File size:
      228.2 KB
      Views:
  19. Old_School

Old_School

20. Old_School

Old_School

NOBODY in the leadership of the MHRC or either of the Promoters EVER referred to the Kustom Kulture Hall as the Rat Rod Hall. I for one have a problem with the term and try to never use it. Once again, if you think Bub only had one month's notice, you are grossly misinformed. And if it were the case, and it's "their" hall, why would Bub wait that long? Where was Bub and the Driven Dead members during the Albany Show the past two years where they could have recruited the quality cars that Donnie did? They had the space, and didn't fill the hall. Don't blame anyone else because it was theirs to do with as they could.

21. Old_School

Old_School

More misinformation. First, the President of the MHRC is a member of the Northwest Corvette Association, not the Camaro (no "e") club.