Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cut and Paste Exhaust

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by G V Gordon, Mar 26, 2015.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

After being less than happy with the local muffler shop on our last build I decided to do the '32 myself. It is amazing what a box of S bends and a little cutting and welding can do.

Finish welding up today then off to be hot coated.

Bought an assortment from Flowmaster, six pipes 2ea. of 4", 6", and 8" offsets for a $135 and that did the entire car with the exception of the down pipes.

Attached Files:

deto and 302GMC like this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That looks great! A buddy of mine uses 2" conduit from Home Depot, straights, 90's and 45's. Cheap and works.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

not bad for a white boy...

4. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...What type of pipe is your buddy using is it EMT if not what?

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

timely post! I just started mine last sunday.... mounted the mufflers then started the over axle section with a 45 and a 90 degree bend... was much easier than I expected... I was getting tired of waiting for the snow to melt in front of my garage to bring it to the exhaust shop. need to pick up a few more bends. need another 45 for the back and 90's for the downpipe.

anyone know a cheap source for offset pipes?? I called a place online and they wanted $60 a piece for a 3" offset mandrel bent 2" pipe! was thinking about having the local shop crush bend something for me

6. What kind of welding? MIG, TIG, gas, or???
    Thanks.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Mig, shop foreman will do the finish welding, he makes it much prettier than I do.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good job. I am always amazed when someone builds a car and then takes it to the exhaust shop and pays mega bucks for them to run the system.
    And lots of times they don't even do all that nice of a job.
    I built my own from mild steel with a relatively cheap exhaust builders kit that came with straight tubing and 4- 45s ,4-90s , and 4 -180s all mandrel bent.
    Properly done Mig welding gives a full penetration weld to butt joined tubing and when you use an 80 grit flapper disc and smooth out the welds you won't even know they were there.
    The building is fun, I will have my whole system ceramic coated as well.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Damn. Electrical conduit is galvanized. You don't want to be welding on that stuff.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is very true. Electrical conduit is not acceptable exhaust tubing.

13. banjorear

banjorear

How much of a PITA is MIG'ing stainless? I'd like to get into that. Do you need a spool gun for that?

14. pitman

pitman

Try to direct the fumes of welding S.S. away. I was needing to learn more about Cr6 and if, or how much was produced when welding. Stainless makes for long lasting good looking systems.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  15. redo32

redo32

I like a system that is tucked up, but will running the pipes along the transmission like that cause any heat problems?

16. yeah a little tired of the whining and price by the local shop also. i started bringing them straight pipe and had them bend them to my "specs". it was cheaper.
    the job i am working on now, i bought the box of stuff from flowmaster. it is nice heavy pipe and smooth bends, should do it next week. i am glad you posted your satisfaction. good job

17. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I am curious how much you guys were paying for a system bent up and installed on your car. I bend a lot of the systems for the hot rod and muscle cars in my town. Some guys don't like what I charge for a system but on some cars I have spent a whole day creating a system. I have to make living doing this or there is no point of doing it. But I also am very anal about how the system looks when it is finished. That is why i get most of the jobs when the other place in town usually charges less and you get what you pay for.

18. front y pipe for cj5 with sbc and tail pipe, i supplied and hung the muffler and hangers. $800

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

where the hell have you been?

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  20. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

How much did the hot coat cost ?

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I built my own headers from the y block of my RPU and then the exhaust system that runs through my frame and to the porter mufflers, then up over the quick-change and out the back.
    I used all mild steel and in the end it will be just as durable and long lasting as any stainless steel system as it will be ceramic coated which coats the pipes inside and out.
    And, unlike most exhaust shop made systems it's all mandrel bends. :cool:
    15.jpg 20.jpg Exhaust 004.jpg winters 007 (2).jpg winters 010 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Martin Harris likes this.
  22. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Not complaining about the cost of the job we had done. Just was not happy with the quality. Custom work takes time and from a couple of your comments and the fact the car guys come to you I would wager you are worth what you charge. Price is only a issue in the absence of value.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Maybe a little wrong for the H.AM.B., but I purchased 2-1/2" 304 SS straights from a local fab shop that did a lot of high purity piping for pharmaceuticals, bought 45s at $6 and 90s at $8, so far I've got less than $150 in not counting the flowmasters, also I'll probably use tri-clamp fittings for ease of removal

24. Do you know who ther supplier is, or brand? Maybe I can find someone close to supply the same.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used a stick welder for this stainless manifold on my A

Attached Files:

26. i finished the exhaust system for a '57 chevy pickup using the big box of pipes from flow master. 2 1/2 " pipes a set of ram horn manifold and a couple mufflers. DSCF3902.JPG DSCF3903.JPG DSCF3905.JPG