Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Irwindale Speedway may be closing again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RancheroMan, Mar 24, 2015.

1. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

2. Jeez...there ain't enough malls in So Cal? So sad

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Not enough tax revenue from that dirty old racetrack. Now they can have a half empty dirty outlet mall. Sad indeed.

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is why malls replace race tracks:
    The Irwindale Outlet Center project, which includes design plans for an outdoor shopping center, entertainment stage, a central plaza and dining courtyard, is expected to generate thousands of jobs and bring a new heartbeat to the community.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

" bring a new heartbeat to the community"? they should put in a Chevrolet dealership "Heartbeat of America"

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Thousands of JOBS???Sounds like a Used Car Salesman!!! ROY.

7. Another victim of "location, location, location." Just like San Gabriel, Speedway 605, Irwindale, Long Beach, OCIR, Fontana, Fernando and the list goes on across the country.

8. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

There will be no THOUSANDS OF JOBS . Walmart Cosco maybe, I hate going to malls I hate shopping in them . And who wants to shop in a store built on unregulated land fill site . There's a big dam hole the gound 20ft from the edge of wonderful build site . It's going one skinny mall on corner of know where and zip .

9. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

All the race tracks in Socal have same issue but for Fontana and Fomosa . NO ONE OWNS THE DIRT BUT LANDLORD. You can't control what he you unless you own the land. Sorry for double post.

10. abc123

abc123

Fine. Build the mall on stilts OVER the existing parking areas but keep the race track facilities. Best of both worlds.

11. firemangordy

firemangordy

[​IMG]
    IRWINDALE EVENT CENTER NEWS ...
    TUESDAY - MARCH 24, 2015 - 11:00AM

A Statement from Jim Cohan
    President /CEO Irwindale Event Center:

I'd like to take a moment to address the reports circulating in recent days regarding the planned redevelopment of the IEC property. As many already know, the property was purchased in 2013 from the previous owners, Nu-Way Industries. The new owners, Lindom Co., and their principals reached out to us shortly thereafter and there has been a good line of communication since. They made it clear to us at the beginning of the 2014 season that not only would we be permitted a lease to operate in 2014, but also for the 2015 season which will kick off next week.
    Our position here at 211 Enterprises and the Irwindale Event Center is that we will continue to operate this top notch NASCAR oval track and NHRA drag racing facility for as long as we are able to do so.
    Earlier this month we released our 2015 NASCAR and NHRA racing event schedules for Irwindale Speedway and Irwindale Dragstrip and have a large number of special attractions, like the final event of the national Formula Drift Series, the annual Mooneyes Holiday Party, Hot VWs Drag Days, the El Camino Motorcycle Show, and many others, all on line for 2015.
    In addition, our on-site stock car driving school, LA Racing Experience will continue to offer fans the opportunity to actually drive a super late model stock on the track that has surely earned its great reputation and nickname: "LA's Half-Mile Superspeedway".
    My personal commitment to our fans, racers, and sponsors, is to always communicate with you and have absolute transparency. And in the spirit of that commitment, I can tell you that we have not been told that 2015 is our final season. While we cannot control what makes it into print or what rumors may be spun, we can promise you that if the time comes where we must announce a final season of this legendary facility...you'll hear it from us.
    We have said since we took over operations in 2012 that we are all in this together. The Irwindale Speedway and Event Center belongs to all of us...our incredible team that makes it all happen, our loyal fans, our passionate racing teams and drivers, and our great sponsors whose support we so appreciate. We stand by our promise to communicate directly to you through social media, via our website, on site at the track, and through our official press releases. We will always shoot it to you straight. That's a promise.
    I know the racing community loves "Irwindale". I know thousands of you would love it to be around for decades to come, as would I. Unfortunately that is something that's not in our control. What we can say, and say with conviction, is that we will keep opening the gates, dropping green flags, posting low ET's, serving hot dogs and beer, soda and kettle corn ... and doing our level best to put on motorsports events and other activities that families can thoroughly enjoy together for as long as we are able to ... until the final checkered flag.

But for now, let's celebrate the start of our 2015 season which looks to be awesome. We pledge to provide the same sort of great entertainment, education, and excitement that fans have always come to Irwindale Event Center for. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the grandstands and personally shaking a lot of hands. Thank you for your support and for being a true part of our IEC family!!
    Jim Cohan

www.irwindaleeventcenter.com

Copyright © 2014 ... All Rights Reserved.

12. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

City council voted to demolish the facility last night.
    so they'll finish out this year for events as planned.
    No real opposition from residents according to the LA Times.

13. Devils advocate: If you paid 22 mil for a property would you not want a return on investment?

14. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Sad indeed. To remain a racetrack maybe they could take a soil sample from the pits or better yet way down from its construction site days , send it to the EPA n have it tested so it'd come back tainted with blown drivetrain & construction equip juices that came from the ground in the first place & It'd be unfit cept to be a race track? Well if only worked that way. Flux

15. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

I thought about that too Flux. not sure about the status of environmental impacts etc.

16. toml24

toml24

Very sad indeed.
    025.JPG 029.JPG

17. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

the sad part is nobody really opposed it.
    One person is still trying to re open LACR as well.
    Mooneyes? geez. after december its gonna be a memory.