Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WWII Corsair Tach Wire Colors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BabyLincolnsDad, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

Here is a picture of my war room.. And a picture of some of my machine guns I do displays at retirement communities for the ww2 vets and the picture of the guns was taken at the Veterans Day display I did

Attached Files:

wraymen likes this.
  2. BabyLincolnsDad

BabyLincolnsDad

Thank you everyone for the advice, I think I am going to take Justin's idea and purchase the tach generator. With his help, I found one "as removed" for $75 + shipping, I bet its heavy, and mount it as an accessory on the front pulley system on the hemi. If I use the same size of pulley for the generator that the drive shaft is running then the tach generator will spin at the same speed as the engine. That is assuming that the tach generator was not geared differently than the old radial it was originally mounted on. Wish me luck! I will try to keep everyone posted on the progress.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Apropos nothing in particular, here is a greatly entertaining Corsair video:

The woman on board is obviously wildly anachronistic...but I think a lot of the footage is wartime, with the modern bits and enhancements cleverly spliced in. #16 is Lexington!

4. BabyLincolnsDad

BabyLincolnsDad

UPDATE! the tach works! With the help of Justin Rousselot and a very knowledgeable aircraft mechanic Jim Dale at Lewis Air Legends. Justin accurately identified the tach as one from a bearcat and informed me that a tach generator was necessary as well as supplied the correct part number of the tach generator. A quick search on EBay and I found one for $40 dollars. Jim Dale at Lewis Air Legends informed me that the tach spins at half the speed of the crank in the R-2800. See the tack working in the pic. It is directly wired to the tach generator with the Amphenol plug and wires that came with the tach and the generator is driven with a cordless drill. Now all that is left is mounting to the Hemi and getting a pulley twice the size of the crank pulley. I cant wait! Thank you to all who helped in getting this WWII tech back in service.

Attached Files:

warbird1 likes this.
  5. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

I'm glad my brain full of useless information could help!

6. Does a Corsair have the same amount of cylinders as your car? I thought those were radials, and I'm pretty sure all radials have an odd amount of cylinders

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

The Corsair used the Pratt & Whitney R-2800; 2 row of 9 cylinders, total of 18
    Tach runs from a generator - like an electric motor, not from spark impulses like the automotive tachs we are used to.

Groucho likes this.
  8. Very nice collection I'm drooling over the machine guns. Is one of those 30's WW1 vintage?
    Its also pretty cool going to the retirement homes, great stories and a wealth of knowledge that unfortunately we are loosing at a rapid rate. We owe a lot to those people and its nice to see someone giving back.

9. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

The Vickers gun was used in ww1 though mine is dated 1942.. And the other water cooled gun is a Browning M 1917 created during ww1 but never saw any combat

10. You might try one of the electronic instrument company's they may be able to make a generator or convert it to modern electronics.