Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using a Power Steering Box without the Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ehlien, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ehlien

Ehlien

Has anyone ever tired to use an unpressurized power steering box ???? If so how did it work vs changing out to a manual box? Not sure what the difference would be?
    Thanks?

2. If ya got arms like Popeye Ur good 2 go.

3. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

What da34guy said, a manual box has a better ratio to reduce the effort needed to turn the steering wheel. I ran an O/T truck several years with a power box, but the entire system was hooked up and filled, just the power steering pump was not turning.

4. Lubrication would quickly become an issue. And you cannot just fill the 'box, as the sector is a piston that would hydro-lock with fluid not allowed to circulate.

Cosmo

5. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Yes I have run one when the motor will not start and my arms are not strong enough to get very far!

6. Gerrys

Gerrys

Had a 71 chevy with a bad pump. I was the only one that could drive it. Parking was a pain!

7. jcs64

jcs64

iv filled the box and then looped a short pc of hose to connect to two ports.

jeff

8. Ive done this too. If the pump is hooked up then I think you are forcing fluid past valves. When I just made a steel line, filled the box with fluid, it worked fine, but it was a light weight 43 Chevy bobber truck.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

We used to run them without pump on stock cars at local dirt track, loop a hose between ports and make sure you have oil in it when you hook it up and it worked ok for us.

10. samurai mike

samurai mike

i also ran one with the hose looped.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Yes, everybody on the dirt tracks ran a GM power steering sector with a looped line or hose. As long as it's moving it isn't a problem but standing still it's difficult to turn.

12. aaggie

aaggie

Unless you have a real rare car it shouldn't be too hard to get either box. The only real difference is the number of turns lock to lock and the length of the pitman arm on some boxes. Same scenario for rack and pinion set ups, more turns for manual.

13. Ehlien

Ehlien

Good stuff thanks ..good place to start.

14. USUALLY when these types of questions are asked its because the guy has a box already, and not the funds to go buy another if this will work.

15. Ehlien

Ehlien

You may be physic (or psychotic).... or switching the box out may involve some serious fabrication.

P.S. Have the plasma cutter ..would love the CNC table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Little of both ;)

Biggest problem with the table, everyone thinks "since the machine cuts my ONE OFF PART, in 2 minutes, it should be cheap (or free). The 3 hours to program it are nothing, right?

17. Get a manual box or buy a power steering pump,it will be a bear to turn. HRP

18. Ehlien

Ehlien

I hear you...

19. Ehlien

Ehlien

Since its not the stock motor going into the chassis and not sure how everything will fit I'm thinking now of going with the looped power steering box till I get everything fit in and then looking to upgrade or downgrade to clean things up. ..just think'n.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

An actual power box, as opposed to a "power box" from say a Mustang or some other car that uses a ram type system, has a built in control valve module inside the box itself.
    Hydraulic pressure keeps two valves centered inside the control module and a small torsion bar is the direct link thru the valve.
    If the effort put into the module from the steering wheel overcomes the resistance of the torsion bar, the proper valve opens to allow power assist in that direction until the control module catches up with the steering input.
    What that means is that without hydraulic assist you have some built in slop to deal with.
    Because of the torsion bar masking it somewhat you may not even notice it most times...but it is there regardless.

If you are considering this as an engine swap is limiting your selection of pumps or something, consider using an electric pump from a donor vehicle.
    No engine drag at all and should be easy to locate in a hidden area if visuals are the big concern.
    I can't remember which vehicles are recommended donors for one, but a quick Web search should narrow it down quickly.

21. Ehlien

Ehlien

Duh....I did not even know that there were electric pumps out there.....