Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Racing Helmets as Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Racing Helmets as Art

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

schd0276 and Cyclone_racer like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a small collection of helmets, including a nice 'buble' face shield one. Out here in SoCal, vintage helmets are big business at the swaps. The days of finding cool vintage ones are getting far between. And as if I don't have enough 'collections'.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I have love these old helmets. I have 3 that were worn during the short existence of the Keystone Roadster Racing Association here in Central, PA. Holding them in your hand while looking at the old photos really makes everything seem more real.

jetman likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some old helmets have been recognized as art objects straight out of the box...
    MOMA, thr Museum of Modern Art in NY, has in its collection a classic bell Helmet manufactured in 1958.
    Artists are listed as Roy Richter and Frank Heacox, with Thomas Paulso listed as designer of the attached bubble face shield...I agree 100%, I think the design of the old bell is aesthetically PERFECT as a casing for the human head.

HEMI32 likes this.

5. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

Man, I love that last one!!!!! Down right EVIL looking

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Many years ago while attending a Christmas Party a Mickey Thompsons house, we took a tour of the shop/garage, Hanging off the rafters were all the helmets that M/T wore

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The Roy Richter biography is a FANTASTIC book and documents the development of the Bell helmet franchise. This book is a must-have for anyone interested in California hot rodding from the '40s-70s.

http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Richter-Excellence-Art-Bagnall/dp/B0006EVBYE

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

An old friend of mine raced Hardtops locally in the 50's, he gave me his helmet with his #41 on it. IMG_2151.JPG

9. Bell 500-TX @ MoMA.jpg
    "Safety Helmet (model 500-TX)"

Artist(s): Roy Richter (American, 1914–1983), Frank Heacox (American, born 1923)
    Manufacturer: Bell-Toptex, Inc., Bell, CA
    Date: 1957
    Medium: Painted fiberglass-reinforced plastic, nylon, and leather covered foam
    Dimensions: 9 1/2 x 10" (24.1 x 25.4 cm)
    Credit Line: Gift of the manufacturer
    MoMA Number: 265.1962

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Hotdoggin DaddyO and J.Ukrop like this.
  10. slammed

slammed

11053620_355185394682939_5540180542936009541_n.jpg Art in timeless media(s) & a tribute on a skid lid. Snagged from the 'net where WTF is FTW.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and ME.GASSER like this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tomorrow's New York Times: Helmet missing from MOMA! Picasso canvas, slashed out of frame and apparently used by thieves to wrap helmet, found in trashcan of Falafel vndor wagon on 5th Avenue...

Hotdoggin DaddyO, slack and HEMI32 like this.
  12. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've owned several old Bell helmets,I've even contemplated adding them to the things that I collect since I read the last major thread on helmets a few years ago.When I was a BMX'er in the 70s,our factory team had Electro custom make individual helmets for all of us.I loved that helmet and the looks it got from the kids at the local track.When I changed teams,it got lost in the shuffle.To this day,I still reminisce about it and I've got a hard hat that I've done a lot of personalizing to.....I guess nothin' I ever get is exactly store bought ;)

13. HRS

HRS

These are killer....check out the "Staff Serg." on the passengers goggle strap...I'd say that's authentic.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  14. Speed~On

Speed~On

Great blog Jive-Bomber. The helmets of yesteryear sure have a lot of character. I have had these photos from the Tapiture site for quite some time. Kinda fun to look at them every now and then. Hope you don't mind me posting them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotdoggin DaddyO and slammed like this.
  15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Bell is perhaps a classic because it is from a period when function, comfort, and safety seemed to be in a sort of harmony...after that time, safety became all-consuming and helmets closed claustrophobicly around heads, straps and tethers turned the driver into nothing more than a carefully bracketed control component, and pads and bars closed in from all directions. Drivers became genuinely safer, but all comfort and freedom were gone from the ride. It was something like aviation after WWII...the guy with goggles, cloth helm, and leather jacket found himself stuffed into a pressure suit, breathing through mechanical aids, strapped down, squeezed, and focused on a display of information rather than the world. He would have been dead otherwise, of course but hadn't comfort and coolness been nice?
    The Bell rings the same bells that make 1960 dragsters and 1940's Hellcats and Spitfires cool.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  16. Elrod

Elrod

Bought this helmet from an old Nascar collector.
    [​IMG]

17. schd0276

schd0276

If anyone is looking to sell old helmets, I have quite a display. I'm looking to add to the display to make it bigger and better. You can text me at 507-384-1819 or email [email protected]

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is a reproduction of an early helmet that Tom Medley signed for me. image.jpg

Attached Files: