Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe... just a "find"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wildcycles, Mar 18, 2015.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's amazing how many "back in the day" cars are just tucked
    away waitng to see sunlight again. CONGRATS. And, YES, those 40 headlights look just fine and dandy. Adds, character as a "period piece".

2. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for the comments.. Even old-time hotrodders in my area have not seen this car before. It really was tucked away for the past 50 years or so. I asked the previous owner if he ever took it to any local car shows and he said he didn't care for car shows and didn't care what people thought about his car.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Good for you! Now make it yours.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

The paint on the car is scratched up in places, but has a nice shine to it, so I asked the fellow I bought it from what wax he used and how he cared for it over all of the years. He looked at me kinda funny and told me it had not been waxed since he bought it in '64. He told me he just washed it and wiped it down with a furniture cloth. I washed it when I got it home and went over it by hand with a little rubbing compound and a bit of wax. I might work on it more, but I like how it looks now.

5. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

THANKS! Will do...

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember any number of similar builds back around '57-'60--just about the time the 265's/283's hit the boneyards. I really admire that car.

7. fortynut

fortynut

Not to split hairs but from my perspective 'style' is an operative phrase that has a lot more latitude in how it is interpreted than 'exactly like', or some other more narrowing term that excludes the particulars of a build as being representative of what is referred to on this site as traditional. Not being able to read minds, just yet anyway, I figure Ryan had the foresight to visualize the necessity of allowing leeway in the cars and builders who would come to the HAMB who would not be looking for a frozen period of time but a place where they could do as Hot Rodders have always done, and use their ingenuity to adapt and overcome, while keeping in mind the ideal was to hie to tradition and not to convenience. Not all of us want to build period correct cars with original parts, flathead motors, crashbox transmissions, and be limited in our choices by hard and cut rules that tie us to parts that are in short supply, or no longer exist. I think he foresaw that attitude; and knew, it was not because some don't like traditional, that to me, is a state of mind. But, not to exaggerate Ryan's thinking by supposing too much, I believe he understood some people like how the older cars looked, and understand to no small degree the mindset and concepts the builders of the earlier periods used while pursuing their builds. Not everyone wants a Streerod, with zoot pieces that contribute to the fact they are built in mini-factories often incorporating parts that exist only because of five axis CNC mills, and often as not utilize designers to create concept drawings to aid the army of workers who ply their various journeyman skills to fabricate and fashion vehicles that are often so expensive they are 'too nice to drive'. Instead, I am going to buttress my argument with a few concepts that will be as logical as they are simple: Hot Rods were built from scavenged parts initially; various vehicles from differing years and makes were cannibalized and the parts adapted to fit into categories we now call Underslungs, Gow Jobs, AV8's, High Boys, as well as the various classes that sprouted up during the heyday of Post War Dry Lakes Racing. To deny those of us who still hold true the thought that those same values are sacred, and that if you drive it you should build it, at least in most particulars so you understand it from the inside out is to go against what traditional means. As a result, in doing as the old timers did, we retain the right to adapt and use later parts according to our needs --- because one thing stands out about Hot Rodders; their rebellious nature drives them to defy even the laws of physics, and when man intrudes with too finely tuned rules, it sucks the fun out things. Just look at NASCAR if you want a very big example of too many rules ruining what was once good fun. Plus, if there is to be a cut off year for parts, within the bounds of reason, (and considering the damn fine work for instance in the Tech part of this site in adapting the T5 to flatheads and other engines), there should also be a cut off limit on methods of welding, materials to use as filler, paint, year of manufacture of gaskets, all wear parts, lubricants, and a laundry list of other items that could make your head spin considering how little thought goes into their traditional framework. So, to sum up, Ryan certainly knew better, and so should the rest of us, that rules that are arbitrary within a loose framework work best, especially when there are moderators to tweak what might not be obvious to the posters. After all, there are limits to the concept of traditional that need not be broached when we critique a particular example that appears in the discussions. Instead we need to think of the 'spirit' of tradition as being more important. And, so, as to whether the fine example show by the original poster is fish or fowl, I think we should respect his intelligence enough not to demand he do things, but be gentleman enough to point out the finer points. And, after reading his comments and the fact he ditched the Cragars, I think he knows what he's got, and from his comments about the drive train, I figure he's someone we can trust to keep it looking good, going straight and shaping up from the exclusion of certain details and inclusion of others. By the way, Wildcycles, my nom de plume may say forty but a '39 like yours is mighty fine. You are one lucky dog to have found it, and own it. So try to enjoy it to the max.

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

^^^^^wish I were THAT eloquent. I'm in. Fortynut's post should be required reading.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. dudley32

dudley32

love it...more pics please...

10. nice. I was looking for a 39 Deluxe found a nice 40 STD. Good luck. One comment, ditch the mouse mill and slip in a 53 flatie.

11. Model T1

Model T1

I bought my 39 Deluxe coupe around 72 and it's been sitting in the shed since around 1979. All because the tri-five radiator top tank split and I decided I'd get around to fixing it someday. Seems like life, kids, and cars came up and someday never got here. Now belts, hoses, brakes rotted.
    Mine was dark metalic green and I repainted it 1975 Ford truck red. Pretty much original outside except the tri-five rear is mounted on tri-five springs and shocks. Up front are 1954 Chevy spindles and brakes. It has those JC Whitney type sealed beams. Always hated them and wanted 40 lite rims.
    Still got original Fenton mags on 1975 bias tires.
    Other than shaved trunk and early Dodge highback buckets with a small bench in rear it is pretty much original looking. Supposedly had a hot Chevy with two-fours. Now I think it's a 265-283 powerglide with 2-barrel. (It's a 69 307. Non traditional. Now I know why I parked it!)
    My favorite car ever. Why I let it sit I'll never know. Yes they are still out there.
    Don't ditch the SBC. Like mine they've been SBC longer than they were flathead. It's sort of stock just like it is.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and dudley32 like this.
  12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Post some pics as you progress.
    I just revived a '39 Deluxe Coupe that's sat in barn for 30+yrs, they cracked flatty & parked it.
    So mines nothing near as cool as yours.
    We put a 40 flathead in b/c it was sittin in my brothers engine stand & easy...but I'd take that 327 anyday.

I don't know where this thread went south with "Traditional or Not police"? Maybe just jealous Wanna-be-moderators, but I think it's cool & as traditional for it's era as it could be. Back to business:
    So keep us updated

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Model T1, Paul B and Finn Jensen like this.
  13. genosslk

genosslk

Very nice.....it would look great in my shop next to my 39 sedan.....

14. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's how I did the first set of bell housing mounts in '65. I was working in a welding shop after school and had a couple made out of aluminum. I think I ran across them in a box a couple of weeks ago. Your car is bringing back some great memories' I love it.

15. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

IMG_1491.JPG OK, so here are a few pics of the interior... Had to use the flash, so not the best photos, but at least you can get an idea of what it looks like inside. Weather is supposed to improve around here, so I will make a point to get some nice pics in next few days...

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  16. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! ... and yes it would.

17. catdad49

catdad49

NICE. Make it safe and drive that sucka!!

18. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me start off by saying that is a nice example of a 60's build. The 39 has some nice body lines and just make it safe and drive the wheels off it. Where I grew up that is traditional.

Model T1 likes this.
  19. I gotta admit.....I am just a little bit jealous.

20. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for comments... that car of yours is very cool! I was studying the photo you posted and it looks like a nice original car with panels fitting very well, trim lines up good, etc. My car is pretty cool, but has plenty of issues that need attention.
    I have a 41 flathead that was a low miles engine and is rebuilt and sitting on a stand in my garage. It has the correct crankshaft mounted fan and all. It is tempting to put it in the car.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

If it helps, I am a bit jealous of your 32 5W! There is a fellow in my area that has one that he bought in 1959. I'd love to have one, but hard to come by a good original anymore.

22. Yeah, I have found out that we can't own everything we want. We have to get what we can find and afford.
    My coupe is my number one choice so I will live with my jealousy..☺

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Great find. They were not to careful back int he day when doing these things. Mine was built at that same time frame, with a sbc and a 3 speed and 56 Chevy rear, if something was in the way they cut it out...lol.
    lots of notched front cross members to fit sbc fuel pumps, holes in firewalls for batteries. Great ride.

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Da Flash

Da Flash

Yo '39s are mighty fine as they say. I found mine last fall, it is my third one and I am keeping this one. It has the history and a no rust body and I love it…..

Da Flash

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Well I guess I got lucky on a couple of those items, as my car has an electric fuel pump and the battery was relocated behind the passenger seat.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. Your car gets the Scrib' s seal of approval. For what that's worth.

27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

my 56 Chevy's rear was mounted with the original spring hangers too, still has the original spring too. They used the rear wishbone to make a ladder bar setup that finally gave up the ghost 2 years ago, then I added a set of P&J ladder bars. The spring I just disassembled and radius-ed the bottom lip as it sits on the spring below and added a spring liner between each leaf.

28. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Sounds very similar to mine... I can see some evidence of mounting points much further forward on my frame. Am just guessing that the first attempt used the wishbones more or less full length, then they cut them down to where they are now.

29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Great looking car. I'm partial to '39s too, although I am a bit biased. Looking forward to see where you take yours.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...Lotsa guys did that right after they bent and the 'U' joint rattled the floor! OHV power, with their open drive trannies: Cads, Oldses, and all the rest.
    The 'overhead torque rod' is the proven method of assisting the split Ford 'bones.
    Many pics and text on this, just do a search.
    Lovely car, that's why I had to speak up.