Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Had to have this 31 A! (Update!)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31pickemup, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I hear Dick Sargent does a better job.....

2. Beautiful!!!

Any idea what steering wheel this is?
    $_57 (6).JPG

3. 31pickemup

31pickemup

4. Gdcast

Gdcast

Congratulations on that fine piece of history, great seeing she's in good hands, hope to see more soon!

5. titus

titus

Looks like there was some yellow paint under the red engine paint too? I think the red looks good on the motor, it breaks it up nicely, ive always beleived is less colors but these days my ideas have been changin.

6. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Finally got it in! Im happy with going back to green image.jpg

Tim, volvobrynk, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That does look better, good choice. :)

8. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

very nice orig. hot rod, just let the wind blow the dust off as you drive.change nothing

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Roger53

Roger53

What a cool pc. Of automotive history.Roger

10. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Well I made it to the Cleveland Autorama. I had to push her in but she made it. I needed a couple of tiny parts that didn't make it in time so I couldn't fire her up. But overall response is good! Here are a few pictures. Enjoy! show8.jpg show2.jpg show6.jpg show.jpg show5.jpg show7.jpg show3.jpg

Outback, Tim, Paul and 12 others like this.
  11. That engine looks really great, good job!

12. Sweet!, I really like this whole thing, but,
    I love the dash colour and interior!

13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Congratulations, glad you made it, looks great.

14. montanafordman

montanafordman
    from Tacoma, WA

Wow.... I'll admit I'm a stock A kinda guy and I'm REALLY picky when it comes to peoples taste when they hot rod or modify one, but DANG. That was spot on and done right. Love the flathead, and just the right amount of work done in all the right places. I love it. Enjoy it!

Welderboy60 likes this.
  15. Very nice!!

16. Roger53

Roger53

This how I'd like my coupe to look you've done this car up proud. Really like the motors placement. Roger

17. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Nice job, looking great.

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It was really cool to see this one in person this past weekend. GREAT car. And yer pickup's pretty nice too. ;)

31pickemup and Denns1989 like this.
  19. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Thanks Thunder! I'm still surprised the truck received Best of Show! Lots of nice cars there.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

There were lots of nice ones there and it was a difficult choice but, your pickup had it all. It was super clean, great proportions, built with just the right balance of restraint and "over the top". We all agreed we would love to just get in it and do squirrely burnouts. Well deserved.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just read the whole thread, and I love it. I'm 77 and that car is definitely true to it's completion date in '59. I'm agreeing with you, show it and drive it as it looks after return to roadworthy and safe condition, keeping as close as possible and practical to it's original hot rod build, and the current paint. Drive it like that thru this season, showing as you please. Take and save lots of pics, up close and detailed close ups, That's the first step were it mine and I was 25 years younger.'
    Then I'd respond to cold weather's return next Fall by disassembling it, eliminate any rust or blemish, then metal finish and prepare for paint, using metal prep all over to prevent flash rust. Prime block it out, and paint.'
    Type of paint is a double edged sword: No question color sanded and hand rubbed lacquer is true to the OB, it also can be far less durable than today's paints. And who in the hell is gonna know the difference, unless it's one of those idiots that well lay down on a dirty floor, just so they can look under your! Lacquer is though, while more susceptible to chips and scrapes, it easier to blend in a touchup job.''
    Take lot's more pics during the rod restoration.
    But that's me, or would have been 25 years ago. Now it's all I can do to keep a hot rod running, much less do what I just described! Now ? I gotta look till I find a build I like of the car I want, and buy it! '
    And of course, post those pics here on this thread with your updates.

22. I certainly agree, an intelligent, correct restoration is in order. just my thoughts, as a 69 year old guy.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

Your car is flat out gorgeous ( and you've got a cute co-pilot to boot!) Nice job.

hendelec likes this.
  24. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Its really looking good...

25. Wow! Don't know how I missed this till now, Subscribed! I have a "sort of" survivor as well. It's a '30 Ford Model "A" that was last registered as a rebuilt in 1962 (which is also the last time it was registered). Unfortunately, I'm not sure it was ever a running car in the configuration I got it, just not enough there that works together. Unlike, your car, it wasn't well put together, which really makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble to try to restore and complete what's there, or just build it as I see fit. Anyway, love your car and what you've done with it so far, great job perserving it! I wish my car was a fifth of your car when I got it, but it had been stored for decades in the weather.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Was just comparing your first pictures at the beginning of this thread with your current pictures, and the green engine is right. It is understated and classy.

Very nice job cleaning her up. You've retained the car's essence without losing its sense of history.

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Had to share these. Original owner sent me some negatives of when the car was first built. Wild! Snoopie you will like these for sure!
    002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 001.jpg

Mtn Goat, Outback, Tim and 7 others like this.
  28. 31pickemup

31pickemup

They look like they were taken the same day but they weren't. If you look at the frame there is a square plate bolted in with something hanging from it. and the other it isn't there. Im not sure what that object is or what purpose. Also those aren't Arrow headlights like it has now. Not sure of the application. Cross steering isn't present in the forward shot either

Tim likes this.
  29. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Nice! I'm diggin' the fenders and skinnier whites. And that grill! Usually like to see a 32 up there, but those pictures could change my mind.

Wait 'til the that Silver Canuck sees these...

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. WOW ! The Silver Canuck likes these ! Those are great pictures, how fortunate to have some from years ago. Wheww Snewp's & this car are very similiar, this is great !

Weezy1930 likes this.