Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods collector insurance double standard ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Has anyone had issues with a collector car insurance claim, when you were say at lowes/ or driving to friends house...during a non car show event ? I know most say pleasure use.. BUT NOT as a daily driver.
    Chubb Ins says unlimited mileage (for car related things) So , I could drive my 46 to an event in California (I'm in Ohio), then to an event in texas, then to an event Florida and so on.. 6,000 miles or so, and during that "EVENT" time my 46 is not garaged..I'm covered Right?
    But if I drive to lowes, then stop for a meal, then drive home, say 25 miles maybe 2-3 times a week, and park in my locked garage...I'm a risk ??????
    But if there's a car show at Lowes 7 nights a week (round trip 25 miles) 7x25=175 miles a week, and grab a burger, I'm covered ... Right ?
    So has anyone had a claim issue when a car related event WAS NOT part of your trip ??

2. It's super cheap right?
    You get super claims evasion too.

3. coyotedustr

coyotedustr
    from chicago

I asked about insuring my old, but non hamb friendly (70's) shop truck. One of the large collector car companies said I could not use it to tow or haul. I could only use it to drive. I opted not to insure it with them. Don't know if that helps or not. I do know from my conversations with them about my other cars they say over the phone they are ok with me driving it wherever. I did have to have them tow me once, they didn't ask any questions

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I had a claim last month when I got whacked coming home from a rod run. I was passing thru a different town from where the event was. I filed my claim, had the car appraised, got paid and nobody ever asked why I was in that town. I could have provided my event windshield card but nobody asked. I could have been a Lowes.

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Knew a guy who had classic insurance drove the car to work a couple of days a week.
    He made a claim as to slight damage while parked at work, claim denied.
    He then received a letter from the insurance company saying they were going after him for insurance fraud as he was using the car as a daily driver and had defrauded the company.
    I would use caution when you are out there!
    KK

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I had an incident at a friends house and had no issues what so ever getting the claim paid. They did call my buddy to be sure there was no damage to his property. I had just stopped by to shoot the breeze and see how he was doing after an illness.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Definitely would be something to ask the Agent, in my opinion.

8. coyotedustr

coyotedustr
    from chicago

This is off the Hagerty website. It's a little vague, but they seem to be ok with you driving it out to dinner etc.

This limited, flexible use policy includes coverage for pleasure driving. That may mean taking your family out to dinner, out for ice cream or on an enjoyable Sunday cruise, for example. Taking the vehicle once in a blue moon to work to show it off is acceptable as well. We ask that you as the owner of a collectible vehicle make the decisions that are right for your situations. We have not had a problem with our clients abusing the privilege of flexible usage, so we are able to continue without the strict guidelines that some of our competitors may have. We would prefer that you do not take the vehicle to high-risk parking lots, such as the gym or the mall.

9. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

OK, so what insurance company said that it was OK to drive , just not tow or haul ???

10. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

That my work for me.

11. coyotedustr

coyotedustr
    from chicago

Hagerty

12. Most specialty insurance policies have a 'standard' mileage limit on them, so if you're driving cross-country (even to an event) and exceed the policy limit, you could be out of luck. But most insurers will allow you to up the mileage limit, but it will cost you more money.

But if you're 'daily driving' the car (and yes, that murky definition can cause problems) multiple times each week, you may be open to 'interpretation' of the policy and the insurance company will nearly always win that battle. Some locations are more risk-prone than others and if you're there without the shield of an 'event' you could be out of luck.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  13. Insurance, like everything else in life...you get what you pay for. HRP

clem and Hnstray like this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you have another car/truck registered in your name as your DD, I cannot beleive that they would consider your fun ride as the DD even if you did take it to work 1 or 2 days, Also carry a second speedo and cable

15. We have not had a problem with our clients abusing the privilege of flexible usage, so we are able to continue without the strict guidelines that some of our competitors may have. We would prefer that you do not take the vehicle to high-risk parking lots, such as the gym or the mall (or lowes)

DirtyJoe likes this.
  16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I have my coupe registered for normal NH passenger plates, not street rod or antique, and with a formal appraisal got agreed to value insurance with same company I have our OT late model with. Don't need a garage, don't have mileage limits, or use limits, it is just a second car. I am too damn old for restrictions, gonna drive when and where I want to.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

When I first applied for coverage with Hagerty I was told I was allowed 2000 personal miles. Mileage to from and during events was unlimited. When I changed to Grundy I was told there was no limit on personal miles.

1927graham likes this.
  18. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I do not know this for a fact.. but have heard that Chubbs collector car service is the underwriter for Hagerty..
    Any comments about Chubbs ?

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

Saying you can't do something and then not paying when you do it anyway isn't the definition of a double standard. It's holding you to the agreement.

20. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

2000 personal miles would be perfect for me. Grundy sounds good too.

21. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yes, but if I can driver "unlimited miles to a event" 100's-1,000's of miles away is considered as an acceptable risk. But driving a few times a week around town is considered High risk. It is an agreement. But were's the justification.

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's their call. When I drove my 54 Chevy as a daily I bought standard insurance. It was more expensive but it covered me at Lowe's.

23. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yeah that were I'm at now. I have Allstate on my 64 dodge pickup (and 2 others plus 1 DD) . And I can drive them all I want..but ACV , and like you said more $$.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Insurance companies are unfortunately a needed evil.

25. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yeah have a 2002 PT Cruiser, I'm retired. Heck usually put on less than 7,000 miles a year on my DD.

26. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Hagerty will drop you or deny you if you want to drive your car for anything other than a show. I have used them for years and Yes I drive my cars. I was under the impression I was covered for short trips etc.
    They denied me coverage for my last build because told them I needed insurance to drive it for break in purposes. "We do not provide that type of insurance coverage" was the excuse they gave me.
    I went with Farmers specialty insurance with no driving restrictions for about the same price.

27. fordor41

fordor41

I have Hagerty, collected 3 times for damage, no questions asked except where and how damage occurred.. They did tell me that if I'm going on an extended trip it was advisable to let them know. Never heard of any mileage limits.

28. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

So who's insuring your coupe ?

29. butch27

butch27

I have Grundy ( which is good so far) BUT in Michigan every car insured, there is a $107. fee for Catastrophic Claims?? Which means that the insurance Co. NEVER takes a hit of more that $400,000. What a scam.

30. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I'm in Canada, so it might be a bit different, my regular insurance company has specialty car coverage, agreed value, no mileage restrictions, no driver restrictions (my daughter who is 18 can drive any of the cars), I can drive the cars whenever, wherever I want. The price works out around the same, a little more to start but I take the liability off in the winter when they are not driven. Had to make a claim last fall, got dinged in the front by a guy trying to park. Set an adjuster out to the house, agreed that I could/should do the work, cheque in hand three days later. Of course the adjuster and I shot the shit for about 4 hours in the garage.