Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goofy Comments From the General Public

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Yeah, I don't mind stupid questions; I can't expect people to know everything about all makes/models of cars (I certainly don't), but the stupid statements by know-it-alls will never cease to be annoying...

2. donno

donno

My Girlfriend of 4 years now drives a 57 Starchief drop-top with a ZZ-4 / 700 R4, outside is stock. Purists puke and say "you've ruined it". She says, yeah after the 43 years I've owned it it needed some work.

3. Aint it funny? some of the "General Public" actually think we drive these things because that's all we can afford.
    That's when I like to have a bit of fun with the "What's it worth?" opening line brigade. I look at their car, and whatever it is (most of the time I don't even know the make, and couldn't care less), just say ' This cost me about 10 times what yours did". In actual fact, their fancy-assed wheels cost more than what I have into my car, but I'll keep it a secret.

4. Pull into the parts dept. parking at the local Lincoln dealer to pick up a part for my OT daily in my in my REALLY nice (and fairly radical) '66 Chevy II Nova SS. A salesman makes a beeline for me, and by the time I'm climbing out the door, he asks "You ready to trade that in today?" So I responded "Depends, how many cars you planning on giving me for it?" He shut up and walked away. :-D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

patmanta and 2002p51 like this.
  5. I love these guys! I just smile and say "Yeah, too bad your car causes more pollution than mine!" and drive off!

Montana1 likes this.
  6. My now ex-brother-in-law once told me he used to have a 1929 "T" bucket in his younger days. I knew right then that he wasn't really a car guy.:)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    40fordtudor likes this.
  7. models916

models916

I always say "nice Pinto" to the Mustang guys.

TheJoemomma1 and wrench409 like this.
  8. ned5049

ned5049

A friend was showing his restored 41 Ambassador when two elderly ladies came over to look at it. He overheard one of them say "I can remember lifting my skirt in one like this, a long time ago."

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. This struck me as kind of funny. Two car guys came up to the coupe at a show and were checking it out, then one of them saw the HAMB sticker on my rear window and said, HAMB, ahh what is that? Never heard of that. I explained what the HAMB is, and they went on their way.

10. So you told them Hokey Assed Message Board?

I overheard someone at a swap talking about my red HAMB Drags T shirt. He was telling the other guy that they all had weird names an that we race for a ham.
    I would actually work at building a fast car if ham was involved.

-Brent-, wrench409, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a lot of unusual comments when I take the 57 FI Chevy to shows. Most have no idea what it is and some think it's a blower? and say they never came that way-mainly only older guys know what it is-Oh well. Was at a local show and there was a group of low riders there. They came down and were really looking it over. In a bit one of them came back and he was mid 30's I would guess. I saw him looking under it and very closely at the engine compartment. I went over to talk with him expecting the usual comments. He was fully aware of what it was and all of the little details that few are aware of or notice. He said he and his dad had a few Trifives-I was impressed!!!-later at a small show he showed up with an original 56 BelAir convert that was very nice for an original car.

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

So I was at a car show years back in a mall parking lot. I was looking at a 34' 3 window with shaved door handles. This guy and his son were standing next to me. His son asked him how do the doors open? The dad said, "That is a real show car. They make them so the doors don't open, they have to push them on and off a trailer." The kid looked up and said "Really? That's pretty dumb." His dad just looked and him and said "Well that's what makes them worth so much money." As much as I wanted to say something, I just walked on to the next car.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  13. That's awesome! And now I'm hungry, damn it! Hey, if you make that race for Bacon, I'm in! I'll bring my B.A.C.O.N. (Broken Ass, Crappy Old Nova!). ;)

SanDiegoHighwayman and belair like this.
  14. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'm realy thinkin' the "ham" drags may be a good idea!!!! :)

15. Hey getting back to goofy things heard from the general public, I was just over on the camshaft names thread and remembered a common thing I have heard over the years. "its got a crowLer cam in it." :D

16. ned5049

ned5049

I remember one the guys from the neighborhood referring to an Isky cam as an "I-zer-zikky" cam. Man, not even close !!

18. NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!Bruce.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Excellent...

20. One of the engineers at work is smart but very spacey.
    She overheard me tell my foreman I wanted to lower the front of my 53 to rake it.
    She asked "Why would you do that?"
    "To save gas, because it is always going down hill." I told her.
    "Really!? Does that work?" she asked

21. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

We pulled in to a large central coast car show got out off the car in my advatar. Three 20 or so guys with there galls run up one is yelling this is the American Graffiti coupe or one made to look just like it my girlfriend got in his face and told him NO this is a Chevy not a Ford and it is a 3 window not a 5 window. Later on that same trip there was a family looking at the car dad looking at the back of the car dad yells soneone went threw a lot of trouble to put a Chevy rear window in this 32 one of his teenage sons says looks like they put a Chevy grill in it too. Maybe that 32 frame confused him soom.

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

Well, with the '74-'78 Mustang 2's, they do share much of the same automotive DNA.

OTOH, the vintage Mustang guys might just figure you to be one of the unwashed, self-appointed "automotive experts" who really doesn't know what the heck they're talking about. I'm just sayin'.... K6

23. Fulvia

Fulvia

That would be more fitting to the Ford Maverick guys. ;)

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mavericks existed before Pintos did, share more with the '67 Mustang than anything else.

Attached Files:

25. jc.dempsey

jc.dempsey

A guy pulled up to me at a stop light while I was in my 50. I hear him say "it's about time you got a new car don't you think?"

He was either completely serious or had the best poker face I've ever seen.

26. There is a sticker out there I would like to find and put on my car. It says something about "hey fuckhead, it is finished". Someone on the HAMB has that sticker as their avatar. How would I find one of those?

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Then you could go to car shows and win "best stupid insulting sticker in show" awards.
    I don't know why you would want to display anything as juvenile as that.

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I had a high school English teacher that went off on a rant about how people who swear are just too ignorant to find better word too use, I mean she was so mad she was shaking. I remember sitting there thinking "Damn is this really the worst thing she has to worry about?". 20 years later I'll bet she can out spell and run Grammer circles around me, but I don't think I'd change places with her..... I mean fuckin seriously:D

29. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

just smile and wave boys! smile-and-wave-boys.gif

jc.dempsey likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It isn't the swearing that is the issue, displaying a sticker like that is more along the lines of saying look at me and see how much class I lack.

gwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.