Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quads in a '57 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cabong

cabong

I'm changing the intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap), tuning the carb, then it's off to Travis the magnificent for some Watsonesque paint.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  2. cabong

cabong

Okay, here's another little addition to my '58. I had a 63-1/2 Galaxie 500XL 427 a while back. I sold it to help finance the work done to Lelands Leadster. I had bought a set of NOS dogdishes for it, but did not let them go with the critter. So, I put them on Ebay, several times. No sale........They are not bad looking and very rare and expensive. I had lowered the price waaayyy below what I paid for them, figuring some 406 or 427 '63 needed them. They are one year, '63, HP, 406 or 427, 15 " wheels only. So, their loss, my gain. I'm going to put them on the chromes for the '58. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Remember, they have never been mounted on wheels.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Tanoki

Tanoki

I wonder what happened to this build... Any updates?

4. cabong

cabong

Hey Tanoki!! Glad you asked......I kinda got sidetracked, with Leland's Lowster. I took it to the GNRS, Sacramento Autorama, and the Boise Roadster Show. I got 2 firsts, a second, and the Barris award in Boise. I hate shows, but wanted to get Leland's critter out there for some people to see. The Chevy now lives in Sacramento, with a really nice guy, who appreciates it for it's history.
    Now, I have been tweaking the running gear on the '58, to have fun at the strip. Too many people forget that back in the fifties, all customs had motor mods. Even the Hirohata Merc had a hot mill. They did that to look good and go fast. I belong to a drag racing club, the Melba Outlaws, and we race in a "Club Challenge" series. One of only two in the States, which is really too bad.
    I have added a scoop, from a Ford of course. It came from a "Big Job" truck, built between '57 and '61. You may recognize it as a "Super Duty" Pontiac scoop. Pontiac obtained the rights to use the design, and production, of these scoops in 1962 since they hadn't planned on one, but had to have one. The Ford trucks also had a "Super Duty" series that used these, but I'm not sure that's why Pontiac used the name.
    I am using Chromies with narrow whites for the street, and some big assed slicks for the strip. I have a '59 Galaxie grille that I hope to massage and use. This keeps the late '60's theme going. As mentioned before, I am using '59 Pontiac Bonnie taillight lenses. I am changing the rear bumper to a '57 Custom 300 unit, which I have painted grey for the time being. The four hundred bucks for chrome is needed elsewhere. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the front bumper, but hopefully I can find something smooth. The old bugger is scheduled to go to the paint shop within 2 weeks. Pearl medium yellow with green outlines on the trim, body lines, and top recesses. Note that the scoop has the same recesses as the top......How kool is that?????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  5. I like the idea of a custom with some "go". It's looking great by the way.
    Any shots of the rear or a pic of the whole car?

6. You're using the '59 grill, why not go with the '59 bumper too? Better yet, use two; front and rear, you could exit the exhaust out the turn signal holes in the back! These would be a bit of work, but would really set the car off IMO....

7. '59 front bumper would be a good idea, especially if a '59 gravel pan could be made to work. That would line up with the bottom of your grill.

8. Tanoki

Tanoki

Hey Cabong! Good to hear you are back on the Ford.
    Great to hear the lowster got the recognition it deserves after all this time. Leyland is looking down soo proud . It must have been a rollercoasterride for you too...
    Good that the car has found a new caretaker, i hope he will enjoy that car for the fullest!
    The mods on '58 look great, love the scoop! And that Galaxie grille will work great! It is going to be a sweet custom when done, cant wait to see it in paint.
    Good luck with the mods and getting it ready for paint the next couple of weeks.
    How about a 62 impala bumper up front?

9. cabong

cabong

Hey, great ideas. I'm going to check them all out. Hey Sancho, look back in the thread, and I think there are more pics......Check it out. I can't wait to install the Bonnie taillights. The photoshop has my blood running thin.....I only have to git the small halves of the bezels plated, and then there will be light. So to speak...

Ya know, I feel really good about what we did for Leland. It was a bit of a grind for Nick and I, but to see the twinkle in those baby blues, and see that huge smile break out, made it more than worth while. I don't think people yet realize how much I enjoyed listening to his life stories, and he seemed just as interested in mine. I still stand by myself and tear up when I think about the many hours we spent jawbone'n, and brainstorm'n about what to do with that grille.
    Anyway, point is, if any of you git the chance to do what Nick and I did......DO IT!!!!!!!!

Tanoki and Peanut 1959 like this.