Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods body welded to frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...I really like that!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. I think that many of them got welded for the simple reason that it was easier and no mounts had to be fabbed or purchased. I can think of a lot of things from when I was a young man that got welded because I didn't have a bolt the right size, or a proper drill bit, but I had a welder or a torch and a coat hanger.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

True, typical and traditional.
    I don't know about you, but I only fix broken!

If body fit, I wouldn't change it.
    If doors shut snogly, I wouldn't change it.
    If frame is good, I wouldn't change it.

If floors are shoot, if the quarters are rusted out and you have to redo a lot fix, if it makes you happy.

But if it ran from the sixtys, and all is good, enjoy it!

But remember; it's a survivor, and you fix it, it's a rebuild, and you can make it your own!

And please make it so you can enjoy it! That is more important then, if it's bolted or welded the frame!

4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Very true. My dad said his number one concern was to get the car on the road. His main concern was performance and body mods he said were usually done quickly. They did in one weekend with a handful of coat hangers and a torch what take many of us years.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. That's because they had to be at work on Monday and didn't want to miss any of the weekend fun. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, and they spend 80 bucks on parts for there 10 bucks jalopy, and had 60 bucks a week pay check!
    So something is less important, and getting to work, go fast and impress chick is more important! To some people; more important then dancing and beer!

Mind over matter.
    I don't mind and fenders don't matter!
    And same goes for wood in body's, or how floor pans are mounted.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  7. I laugh at how many times I have one to work in the morning with things Jerry rigged because I decided to modify something in the evening, then the next evening I try and finish it up.

I welded a radiator (short tacks) in a '57 Ford once because we couldn't find the bolts and it was 3 AM. we decided @ 6 in the evening that a V-8 would be better then the inline 6 and by 3 AM we were getting tired and all we wanted to do was sleep a little bit before we went to work the next morning.

I don't think that car ever got the bolts replaced in the radiator while the guy owned it. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. bgaro

bgaro

Had an early 60's built A that was done this way. Channeled hard over boxed frame. Still works after 50 years...and yes crooked, maybe that's typical too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Era common, and I have noticed very nice early '50's magazine cars done that way.
    I don't think this is nearly as radical as some think...'32-34 bodies were bolted down flat against the frame with only a 1/16" strip of anti-squeak between the top of the rail and the floor. This was VERY close to rigid mounting with no significant cushioning or any real possibility of frame flexing without moving the body. Body mounts with fat, luxurious rubber pads holding body and frame apart came later.

10. clem

clem

Didn't intend to be compelling. The original poster just wanted to know if it was traditional. These posts anwered that IMO. No further questions were asked. I chose not to make further comments. I did not see where it became an argument. Thanks.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Argument is a word that is a synonym for "discussion", "debate", etc. It does not necessarily include anger which is, unfortunately, often a component of debate/discussion.

Your comments suggested the prior comments were the 'final word' and that the matter was settled.

I think the comments of other posters have shown there were many hot rods built in the day that successfully utilized body welded to frame construction....therefore, it was traditional, though not the only way it was done.

I apologize that my comment came across as 'snarky'. It wasn't intended to be combative or insulting....

Ray

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  12. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

40,41 Lincoln bodies are welded to the frame. Kind of a bitch to work on!

13. cometman98006

cometman98006

Did my '34 5 window that way back in '57. Cut away the floor boards and drop the body to the bottom of the frame and stick welded it up. Didn't know better at age 19 but it seemed to work fine and looked great. Had a ful race olds in it and didn't seem to flex much.

14. My old 33 pickup was built {???} in the 60s and the cab was welded to the frame with a channel the width of the frame. Back in those days they were considered just old fords and if they broke really bad, they were hauled to the scrapper. Photo is the day I bought it and hauled it home. I think they must have had a 16 cylinder Allison engine in this thing. 33bee4.jpg

15. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I agree,when I was street rod redoing a Lincoln Zephyr I was surprised to see the body welded to the frame from the factory . My customer was impressed and said lets leave it , just clean and repaint everything. that car was structurally solid.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd rock the fuck outa it myself. The t I'm building is almost being the new sub frame has very little structure, I just stiffened the shit outa my frame to match

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yes....traditional all the way ....

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I laughed when I read the title, 'cause the first thing I thought of was Lil' John Buttera's beautiful "T" sedan in the early seventies. That car has it body sub rails welded to the frame tops instead of bolted, and from what I have been told, 40 years later it's solid as a rock.

The only caveat I can think of here would be make sure the X-member is in good shape and has a complete. meaningful, center section before proceeding.

19. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Full Frame Channel

Attached Files: