Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2015 Portland Roadster Show ... Who's Going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TraditionalKustoms, Mar 17, 2015.

1. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

I'll be traveling to Portland this weekend to catch the Roadster Show. Who here is going?

If you're bringing a traditional kustom, let me know so I can take some pics. Would love to get some coverage for our next issue.

Thanks!
    John

2. redo32

redo32

I got my drivers license 50 years ago this month & Dad let me drive the '59 Plymouth up. I've hit 90% of them since, got a little burn out and missed a couple. Will be there Sat.

3. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

Very cool @redo32 ! Hope to meet you at the show.

4. Will be there on Friday!!! Drive my '31 with a nailhead. Have old '56 ford Kustom at home.
    Hope to meet up with You.

5. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

@bskustoms Sounds good! Would love to see the coupe ... but bring some pics of the '56 too!

6. got rust2

got rust2

Not entered this year, but will come and get ideas.

7. ask this on the nw hambers social club and i bet some of those guys are going.

8. Headed out today for setup. We'll have the booth with the "Help Wanted" sign out front.

9. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Cruisin the show yesterday, come see us and register for the rose city roundup while your there!

Attached Files:

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take lots of pics and post here

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I've got my coupe entered -- first show since '85.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

John it was great meeting you and talking with you this morning.

13. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

any pictures guys??

14. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

Must be a crappy show... :)

15. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Till next year...

Attached Files:

16. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

Heard the 33 Chevy roadster by A&M and interior by V34 custom interiors in Eugen won the big award..Best interior and a bunch of money

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Here's a few more

Attached Files:

19. glmke

glmke

My opinion is the show in all was a disappointment. The multnomah hotrod council with all their wisdom once again proved that they have lost touch with what this show means. 59 years ago this show started as a way for hot rodders and hotrod clubs to show of their rides. Today it's about how much $ can we squeeze out of you. Half of the show was filled with vendors, and cars that I can see at any chevy,ford,or dodge dealership. I had my car in hall C kustom kulture sponsored by the driven dead c.c. And if it wasn't for them and all their hard work I wouldn't have my car in the show. I think the hot rod council needs to go away. They are driving this show into the ground. Just my 2 cents

NWGreaser likes this.
  20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I don't know why I go every year, I guess I have too much money to spend. $8 parking and $16 to get in. $6 beer and $7.50 sausage dog is way too much for what you see. There were about ten cars that were impressive and the rest were mostly the one's you see at beaches Wed night run at P.I.R.
    The first hall showed promise and had the nicest cars and the the second hall was a downgrade with basically street driven cars and the last hall might as well of been the parking lot outside.

21. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

In the old days they used to pay you to show your car, now you have to pay them so they can charge other people can look at your car.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, glmke. Well stated. You know, this show is not the only one migrating toward extinction, and that is sad. For the lack of a better word, price GOUGING is the reason so many patrons slip food and drinks by the gates. Otherwise, lots of us couldn't even attend.

23. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Thank you. We feel the same way, it is frustrating being a member club of the council and seeing the show the way it is. We thought that by adding the Kustom Kulture hall to the event that it might actually bring back exactly what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, as you probably saw they make our hall smaller each year, and add things like the electric cars and high school challenge to what was told would be our hall. They do nothing to push the entry of the hall to anyone else and leave it up to us to fill it. Bub found out that it was still a go a month and a half ago, and if it wasn't for him and his hard work, I'm not sure we would have had a hall at all. Then out of the cars that did register for the hall, 1/4 of them were moved into the main hall.

We're on the fence on if we should continue our efforts or just put all of them into the Rose City Round-Up instead.

24. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Okay Good….. I'm not crazy! I have now lived in the Northwest for 5 years….I have never missed southern California more than this weekend!!!
    I usually bite my tongue because I know people put alot of work into shows. It looks like there was alot of work but it was spent on the wrong stuff. This show was a TURD. It had all the makings of a good show….the History, great poster, great venue but why spend money printing Flasks, Jackets and every other Chachki you could think of, if the Show itself was lacking? When we left we were glad to see the Rose City Round up flyer on the car show poster table because that is a show worth the drive! So is Billetproof ( I didn't see one chopped Mercury or shoebox at P.R.S. and just a handfull of roadsters) I saw some car I enjoyed but come on! The Kustom hall was a joke! why not combine the food court with the stage so at least the band feels like they have a captive audience. To those that tried, I feel your pain, I know what it's like to swim against the tide. ____Trashed

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an avid spectator who has made the annual trek to Portland many times the comments by Drivendead, Gary Addcox, and Gimke mirror my own thoughts pretty closely.

Although I have close to 475 photos in my album for the show a huge number of them are of cars that have been in the show every year without change for several years. Maybe a push for a limit on the number of years you can show a car without freshening it up is in order.

One section of the show looked like a Les Schwab "buy a new set of rims and we'll put your car in the Roadster show" section. Basically a bunch of very close to stock late models with gaudy over size rims and maybe a bit of graphics or pin stripe work. Cars that you walk by in the parking lot outside and never notice.

I was hoping to see more customs that had been at Sacramento or GNRS and more fresh rods from both shows.

I'll be back next year camera in hand but hoping that they make a few improvements.

26. Billblyth

Billblyth
    from Idaho

Thanks for the photos Mr48..good job. Wish I could have come over but the show last week wore me out :)

27. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Hi resolution faux rust vinyl wrapped & heavy cleared Kaddy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  28. @TraditionalKustoms It was real nice meeting & visiting with you over the weekend. As for the show I must say it did seem like a down year. I was a first time vendor and the hospitality was nothing less than a joke & I'm not much of a complainer. I was real bummed to see the C hall dwindling also.

29. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

The boys at the Driven Dead CC made me feel very welcome and I respect all the time and effort they put forth to make it happen.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have not gone for a while now, guess it's my period of apathy.
    Was a member of the MHRC in early 70's, then life got in the way, joined again in early 90's, not much had changed, same people doing all the work, same people doing all the bitching.
    Having been both a member and involved in various car entries, I can say this; good year or bad, there is one constant; it's still a lot of work for the members who volunteer their time.
    The Portland Roadster Show was known for many years as being one of the best hot rod events in the country, don't just complain about it, join a club that is a member of the MHRC and help it return to it's former glory.

redo32 likes this.