Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What color should i paint the wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 20, 2015.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:D

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Toga!

I'm not big on giving color opinions either so I'll offer this up: There are several methods of painting wheels without taking the tires off. There's my personal favorite, spinning the wheel on the car whilst holding a spray bomb on it, then quickly wiping the wet paint off the tire. Then there's the more time consuming taping off the tire, I use cheap black electrical tape, easier to circle the tire with than masking tape. Another is the liquid tire masking method using oil/grease/pancake batter. Brush painting also. Those are my very uningenious methods, anyone got anything better?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I like the car a lot....don't think the hubcaps do it justice at all...the 'dark' body colour on the wheels with a good set of hubcaps would look awesome...but, those particular hubcaps gotta go!;)

clem likes this.
  4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Incomplete deck of cards from the junk drawer. Tuck them around the bead, spray or brush paint, pull the cards out and toss 'em.

Model T1 and blowby like this.
  5. HERES the picture of the hub caps I want to run. It will show more of the wheel.I need to find out where to get the clips to keep them on.Bruce. 002.JPG

kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. It would be all slippery. :D

If you leave the caps the darker body color like Danny suggests, if you decide to go the hot rod route then cream or white is what I would do if it were me.

7. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

you could put the 2 fronts on one side & the 2 rears on the other side. that way most people wouldn't know you had different caps.

8. I have all 4 of the little round hub caps ,just need to find the clips.Bruce.

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Black, with the same whitewalls you have now. No hubcaps or wheelcovers.

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Red to match the tail lights !

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

SWEET !!!

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I vote a cream or off white no matter which caps you decide on. Anything but red or black!

13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I like Red wheels on MY car. I painted them that color because that's what I like. I really do not care if someone thinks that color is "over done" etc. I did it for myself. Question what you like, what you want and just do it, it will be the right choice because its YOUR choice. My 2 cents.

clem likes this.
  14. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Chrome reverse with the dog dishes.

15. clem

clem

1st choice,Blue to match body colour or, 2nd choice, white to match body colour. Three or more colours makes it too 'busy'.

16. smoked1

smoked1

Mine are black with my nuts showing!smile! R Linde

17. Anthony Sterling

Anthony Sterling

I think I would go with the darker body color (metallic green) and the dog dish caps. Until you get the clips for the caps leave the old caps off and paint the wheels and then paint the lug nuts silver and the axle centers black.

18. Thanks A.J. Bruce.

19. Model T1

Model T1

I think this is the real problem. Too many guys are not playing with a full deck! Besides now the Buick is green. I still say paint the rims body color,whatever that is, or bright red.

20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep !

21. Anthony Sterling

Anthony Sterling

Agree.