Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed with tranny selection for a 42 chevy with 292

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Mar 22, 2015.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I am looking for something suitable for my 292 for a chevrolet fleetline

I want the car for cruising and to be able to do the distance on the freeway. Ideally I would like to keep the columb shift. My rear axle is a 354 with open prop.

So What would be the ideal tranny to retain the columb shift?

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Did you get my PM?

3. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yes I have replied

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is possible to use that engine with the stock trans and drive train. There were 2 trans cases used from 1940 to 1954. One of them was drilled for the 55 up bolt pattern. Sometimes they are in cars, but more often in pickup trucks. Same trans, and the parts from your trans will fit either case.

This case will bolt up to a 55 up V8 bellhousing which also fits a 63 up straight six like yours.

You may already have this transmission or you may have to find a different one to do the swap.

Your stock drive train will stand up to the more powerful engine if you use your common sense. No banging shifts, no revving up and dumping the clutch from a standing start. Let it develop some momentum before you give it full throttle and you will have no problems.

For ordinary driving you will be able to idle down to 10MPH in top gear, and climb any hill in the country without shifting down.

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have a 292 in my '37. My transmission is a Saginaw 4 speed w/ overdrive. If you used the 3 speed version you could keep the column shifter. A 3.73 rear gear would be more appropriate but your 3.54 will work.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I have a Saginaw with the 3 shift bars available to me I also have a 292 bell housing. I'm not using my original rear axle I'm using something open drive so need to change or adapt my existing box. I also intend to tow with the car.

7. sounds cool, lets see some pictures!:cool:

8. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Saginaw with "three shift bars" sounds like a 4 speed. Not column shift friendly.....unless....you use the column for the four forward gears and add a floor lever, or under dash lever, to operate reverse.

That said, the three speed w/overdrive is a better bet for towing. The four speed 4th gear is 1 to 1. So, whatever rear end gear you choose, that's it. Whereas, with a three speed OD trans, you can run a lower rear gear (higher numeric) for towing, just use third gear when towing, and slip into OD when cruising. And, all gears are 'available' with the column shift. Slick, huh?

Ray

10. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yeah think I need to source a sag 3spd can't do anything quick here In the uk lol. Is the tranny case the same on the 3 with overdrive as the 4? Could I use my 4 to set up my drivetrain then swap it out for the 3 later?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The front of the case is the same, not sure how tail shaft and tail housing length compare between the 4 speed and three speed w/OD. Someone here will know.

Ray

12. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

So today I picked up a Borg m20 maybe a super t10? Longer gears?

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To my knowledge, Borg (Warner) T-10/Super T-10 are not called M20. IIRC, M20/M21/M22 are variants of Muncie 4 speeds. I think the M22 was called the 'rock crusher' by some enthusiasts.

The BW T-10 can be quickly identified by the side cover shape. The side cover has a straight top, straight sides and a curved lower shape, like a shallow smile. Whereas, the Muncies have rectangular shaped side covers.

Ray