Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding with CO2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Another simple question turns into a dick measuring contest

R35J1S likes this.
  2. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well I am originally from Milford, Connecticut. if you are familiar with submarines you probably know of or maybe seen the wheeled submarine there that was designed and by Simon Lake.

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I have read true his post, the on that I quoted, and found no big flaws.
    I know why we use MAG welding over here, and I know how big our big welders are, but I have clue to how big a navy welder was, and don't know anything about a Linde welder.

But we have some big welders, and ship yards had a lot. Both MAG, stick and TIG welders. So I can't see anything about that eigther.

I don't know the guy, and there is a small chance I run in to him, and even less lightly he can elaborate it for me, unless he comes back to this thread.

I know this may sound stupid, but I never knew nothing about dan wood pre-HAMB, and I don't know much about milk trucks.

But is it me that "rambles" about facts, because I tends to do so, but I'm am mostly right when it comes to welding.

4. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

this statement is for those that have never been in the trade of welding. those of us that have gone through years of professional training and have carried xray certifications up to and including, to nuclear certifications and have been involved with our nations military especially naval vessels should respect the egos' we live and take pride in our high degree of professionalism.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I couldn't agree more, but I got to know; copy/paste or are you that's good

I trust you, and you are known to be a man who's opinion count!

Again this post I agree with also.
    But I most ad, you can have flux wire, that needs shielded gas, and creates a slag on top of the weld, and is used professionally too. Opposed too wire with "inner-gas", that's made for welding small tasks with out gas.
    But I would only use it to tack weld with, and weld over it again. But I been wrong before.

I apologize if I seem like a know-it-all, but I know a lot about something, and I worked with this stuff for a decade.
    I know I don't know everything!! I know it and you all know it.
    I might have drifted OT for a moment!

But CO2 is cheap and it works, but be you own judge about if it's worth it.
    I use it on my one MAG welder, but mixed gas on my other.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Linde is a huge German company that handles welding supplies worldwide as well as making hydraulic equipment. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of it.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So it seems my simple question has turned into a chest pounding debate. I'll take a "use soda gas if you like or ArCo2 if you prefer" lesson from this conversation. I'll also take a lesson about asking a simple question.......

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't agree that it ends up being chest pounding or dick measuring if that's how you want to put it.
    For my part I simply try to point out sources of good accurate information.
    Many times what is posted in response to these simple questions is just plain wrong.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. My post was not meant to "ruffle anyone's feathers". BTW, though I do not possess the credentials that some of you have, I am a certified welder, though I am going to allow them to lapse this time around. I'm done welding for a living

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know of Linde AB and Linde GMBH, as a well respected manufacture of forklift and hydraulic equipment, but totally unaware of there welders.

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Or even better give it a go, and tell us what you think! I would more interesting what you think afterwards!
    And everyone on here likes to save money.

And sorry again for my misuse of you tread!

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I might just try a Co2 only rig if I can get one cheap enough. I'm curious about the difference. But I get my ArCo2, Oxygen, and Acetylene for free so any changes would have to be REAL cheap! LOL ( You didn't misuse the thread but the tone of some of the input was deteriorating)

14. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well this is my final comment on this subject matter!

this is the one thought that scares the shit out of me; you are driving down the road with your family in the car with you, and what I am getting ready to say could go either way. either your welding on your car or someone in something that was put together by that driver or it was home made.

the welding that was performed caused some inbritlement because there was a flaw in the welds or there was some work hardening from the base material or even a cold weld and something broke and caused a head on collision and someone was killed. just remember if things that are talked about here by professionals those that are trying to produce something and haven't done their homework and performed long periods of practicing to produce a text book weld in appearance need to think more than twice before they go forward and attempt. my best advise is to find a short term class that will have hands on training with an instructor so if nothing else you have a basic knowledge to move forward and become more proficient.

what I have seen over the years that some people have attempted and or paid someone to weld something for them just scares me to death.

that is my last and final comment on this matter.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well if you were addressing me with that comment I would always get a certified welder to do anything structural for my safety as well as those around me. The legal hassles would make the cost of a pro welding job seem like "penny candy". However I' confident that sheet metal jobs are not a problem, especially as I did take a course to educate myself. I think I'll lay off any welding pertaining to my nuclear pressurized hydraulic speedster though!

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quitter. ;)

BERNIES WELDING likes this.
  17. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

what worries me the most are the folks that modify and graft frame clips together and when I see the quality of the welds and how terrible they look and I immediately think, I hope this thing never hits our public road ways.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Elvis has left the building.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But wait there's more!!!!!!!!
    Guess I spoke too soon.