Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Door Card Tip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Just making door cards using 3.5mm (1/8" over your side of the pond?) plywood and was having trouble with the ply layers splintering and strips peeling away.

I was advised to run a Stanley knife (craft knife?) closely behind the cut line before using the jigsaw (a fine tooth metal cutting blade is best). Works a dream - no splintering at all, not even on the other side for some reason.

Hackerbilt and volvobrynk like this.
  2. A Rodder

A Rodder

Excellent tip!

3. Good tip, but I think tempered hardboard or masonite will work better with less of the splintering and delamination you speak of.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. I always go to one of the local automotive trim shops and buy the tan waterproof panelboard they use.

A 40"x 65" sheet runs about 12 bucks here in the States,easy to cut and very durable. HRP

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.

5. It's a lot wetter here and hardboard tends to warp.

6. The material I was referring to is waterproof,but regardless of what you use it's advisable to use a heavy weight plastic as a vapor barrier for added protection.

BTW, We get a heck of a lot of rain here in the Sunny South! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You must seal the inside of the door with plastic sheet and caulking around the edge, same as OEM manufacturer. Water always runs down the window, in the door, and drains out the bottom consequently the inside of the door is always wet.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Going to varnish the panels with yacht varnish. It's a 27T Modified so no windows or window channels.

9. I have used most of the items you guys mention here,But the Best is just plain 1/8 Luan panel board from Lowes,Home Depot and other lumber dealers The waterproof panel board is not so waterproof as they want you to believe.plus the Luan gives you a good holding for staples and panel clips on upholstery jobs

10. a tip for cutting plywood with a circular saw to avoid splintering is to cut from the backside. it won't splinter on the other side. with a table saw cut with the good/finished side up.

11. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Any one use the 1/8" Plastic (I believe it is ABS) that lebaron bonney sells for door panels? That stuff is un-effected by moisture but I just wondered if you can use staples to hold the upholstery until the glue sets up

12. i did not get it from them. but i just made inner panels for my coupe using 1/8" abs. i cut well and is very flexible. i was able to staple through it to hold it to the door for fitting.

13. fortynut

fortynut

blackjack, From my own experience, I like to use masking tape on the side where I want to keep a sharp edge. I put my cut line on it, and cut through; this reduces splintering of wood glued in plies, Masonite, or actual wood. By the way, I find it ironical that America uses the English system of measurement, ostensibly derived from the digits and appendages of the English Kings of elder year; whereas the inhabitants of England, (be they called Britishers, Brits, Limeys, Beef Eaters, or what not), use a system of measurement derived arbitrarily from units with little or no relationship to the human form, or those who use them; and where the actual instrumentation used for checking the accuracy of the various devices created for measuring are kept in France; and that the system is referred to as the European decimal system. God Save the Queen, or the King, as the case may be; and God Bless America. Between our two nations, we have some pretty curious practices in common; and others that leave me scratching my head and my arse by turns. By the way, thanks for the tip. I'll do a test to see if your method works. I have Scots ancestors, (still part of the Kingdom, eh?) who are notorious for their thrifty ways, to hear it told. I want to see if the scoring, as you describe, will save me a few cents by not having to buy the tape. (And, don't lets get started on bloody systems of money!)

14. The teeth direction of travel ,,,
    Going into the substance it will not splinter and be a nice cut- coming out of the cut it will splinter the surface. All circular blades have tooth going in side and a tooth coming out side. Scoring a line with a razor knife at the cut will stop the splintering. Works flawlessly on anything that has 2 sides that need to stay nice and perfect. Say an interior door, Formica counter top, cabinet plywood, Frp panels,

15. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

America and Britain are, "two nations divided by a common language".

tb33anda3rd likes this.