Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removable wiper motor on a chopped 26 roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moby, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

I live in PA where electric wipers are required so I'd like a wiper that can be removed by spinning off a couple wing bolts. I'd put it on for state inspections and long drives in heavy rain but rely on RainX most of the time, although I'm not much of a fan. When I'm driving 4 hours in heavy rain and passing a row of semis, I want a freakin' wiper!

Plan A - use just the bottom half of the windshield on my 26 roadster and chop the top to match. Problem - looks great but even with the seat lowered, I need a bit more windshield. Plus there is no top tube on the bottom frame, so nowhere to mount the wiper.

Plan B - cut up the top frame, use the sides to lengthen the sides if the bottom frame 1 1/2" and use the top tube as the top of the bottom frame, which then provides a place to mount the wiper.
    Problem - adding the top tube reduces visibility by about an inch, which means I'd need to add 2 1/2" total get back to the amount of glass I want, which means I'm losing a bit more of the hard chop look I'm after.

Ideas? - Is there any way to mount the wiper to the glass? Or to the wooden top header? The wiper is designed with the motor inside the car but could it be mounted outside and backwards (arm cut/reversed)? I presume the motor would need to be sealed up but that shouldn't be a big deal. Sure it would look like ass but who's gonna see it in a heavy rain? Those wiper units are cheap so yeah, I can buy one and play around with it but I'm just looking for ideas or experience. I've driven hard chopped cars a lotta miles and while an inch doesn't seem like much, it makes a difference to both my neck and to the car's profile, both of which are important to me.

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Maybe the unit Project33 used (http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=397) mounted to the top? Or mounted to the glass itself in an enclosure of some sort? Got a picture of the windshield area you want to mount it on?

4. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

5. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Thanks to you too David, appreciate the input.

6. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Sunday am bump

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Why couldn't it clamp to the glass? Just use plenty of rubber?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Might work, just looking for somebody who already tried it.