Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need a title for a 28 Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "Nailhead ED", Mar 21, 2015.

1. "Nailhead ED"

"Nailhead ED"

I live in Texas and bought a Barn Find Model A from a guy in Washington. The car has no title and the motor in it is a '54 Nailhead. To make things worse I have no signed Bill of Sale. I picked the car up while I was in Washington. When I got back to Texas I checked with the DMV what to use as a Bill of Sale. I filled it out, sent it to the old man and he won't reply. He was in bad health and this was the last car he was building, he chopped it, put the Nailhead in, Z'd the frame everything so I don't believe he would do all that if it was stolen. I'm afraid the guy died and now I have no proof the car is mine. I did buy another car from him a '36 Buick which he did have the title for. Does anyone know how I can get my 28 titled? If it helps I will be moving to Florida soon if the process is easier there!

2. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Bonded Title is prob be your best bet,,,unless it is different in Fla....

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Lien sale

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. "Nailhead ED"

"Nailhead ED"

Thanks gents. I know the old man I bought it from had a friend who could get titles and that's what he was going to do. He had a lot of flatheads- "A" engines laying around and I believe he was going to use the number off one of them. If I ever do get a hold of him I will let you know. He has everything a lot of 30's Buicks, Lincolns, flatheads, nailheads, a couple of 354 Hemis, Y-blocks, even Lincoln V-12s with the heads on them! He was trying to get rid of as much as he could to pay for hospital bills.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes, the bonded title process in Texas is simple and easy. Visit your local DMV and ask which office handles the bonded titles - you will be directed to a special office which handles stuff like this, but cannot do regular registrations or renewals. They will provide all the paperwork and will guide you as to how it must be completed. The one here in Ft. Worth has a bond seller right next door. Just bring your check book.

I've been through the process here a couple of times and it's really no hassle, but you will have to pay sales taxes on the car in addition to the title fees and registration fees and bond cost. The DMV sets the value in Texas according to a predetermined scale which only they know how the values on it were determined. You will pay sales taxes on the value they declare...whether you agree with it or not. So, just pony up and pay.

Once the paperwork has been completed and accepted at the special title office you'll be directed back to your local DMV office to complete the registration. Surprisingly, as long as you register the car as an antique no VIN number verification is required. If on the other hand you decide to register it for normal use a VIN verification and vehicle inspection will be required.

On both of the cars I did the bonded title transfer I went ahead and got insurance coverage even though neither of them was roadworthy. The DMV system now keeps track of every car's insurance status, but since these cars were not yet in the Texas system there might have been a hangup getting them registered if they were not insured. I just went to my insurance company and bought minimum coverage, which I promptly cancelled after the title/registration process was completed since the cars would not be driven for some time.

The good news is that as long as ownership is not disputed the car will be yours...conditionally...in just a few days. The bonded title becomes a regular title after a certain number of years...I can't remember how many. The process is a bit ponderous but it works. HINT: They will accept no whining about the value they set on the car, so don't even try.

Oh...better to get the title issue settled before you put any money into the car, just in case there is a problem with it that would prevent it from being titled over to you. The title search done by the DMV will uncover any potential problems and the transfer will not be completed nor will a bond be issued until the problems have been resolved. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  7. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

What city in Washington did you get it from? Someone may live nearby and know the guy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

You can get the vehicle titled without any registration,no insurance needed, Also most insurance companies that you have for other driver cars will sell you a bond .I found that to be Cheaper than the guy next door in Ft Worth.

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Point #1: True. I chose to register mine at the same time, using YOM plates. I don't remember whether they actually needed to be insured for this or not, but I got it just in case and then quickly cancelled it. Didn't cost much and may or may not have been necessary, but I had it if I had needed it.

Point #2: Sometimes true. My own insurance company did not offer bond service, nor were a couple of independent agents familiar with the process. I asked the DMV where I could get it and they directed me to the one next door. Cheaper? More expensive? Who knows? I was more intent upon getting the task accomplished than I was in spending my time shopping for a budget title bond. It was not terribly expensive in any case, considering the amount of hassle a bond avoids when it comes to getting a valid title for a vehicle with no past.

Good points, both. Thanks!

10. Just remember,that in Texas you must register your car in the county of your residence

11. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yes Sir,,I was pointing out that may not need to register if moving to Fla..In my case the last one I did the car wasn't running so no use in registering, I had farmers ins &they were $75 cheaper than the bond place nearby, One phone call and they will fax you the paperwork no need to even leave your house. Just putting it out there in case someone else needs the info..

CaddyRat and missysdad1 like this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I live in Washington and have a 1929 ford title and no car. Please send the car back to Washington and I will send you pictures of it every Christmas.

CaddyRat likes this.