Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sportcoupe ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lorodz, Mar 14, 2015.

1. lorodz

lorodz

can anyone tell me what the part is called between the A post,and the B post, above the doors on a 29 sport coupe are called, I am in need of these two post and cant find them, i havent seen them listed on mac's or snyders. maybe their called door header post? i have no idea. Any information on who repros these or anyone have them for sale. thanks

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I would call Mac's and ask them. They are very helpful on things like this. The #is 1-877-230-9666.............

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Snyder's catalog calles them Curved Roof Panels, and lists them for Tudor and Pickup. Wonder how close they come to fitting a Sport Coupe? Bob

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

T37K, I don't think that's the panel he's after.

There is a strip of metal that goes from the A-pillar to the B-pillar. and ties to two together at the top. It is present on all early A coupes. The difference between the sports and the other coupe tops is that the Curved Roof panel or the sports coupe specific wood-covering panel attaches to this metal strip.

It is straight on the inner side, and the outer side has a 3/8" vertical return that is shaped to the curved inside of the door - if I am correct in describing what I think is the information you're after.

It is usually discarded when you cut a sports coupe down into a coupster

5. lorodz

lorodz

Yes stovebolt, it ties the A & B pillars together I cant even fi f an image of it..so I can maybe make it, out of Some sort of square or angle stock....but I need to see it....

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it looks anything like the over the windsheild piece, I have an extra you may be able to cut in two and fab one. Bob

7. b-bob

b-bob

There is a thin strip of metal over the door that bolts to a wood piece that makes up the frame work.

Then all it has, is a foam layer and the top material over that. Top upholstery is available as a kit from Mac's.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It's curved on the out edge.

If you have access to a stinker, get some heavy sheetmetal folded into a right angle.

Shrink the longer side so suit the shape of the inside of the door. Trim the longer side to a straight line, and weld to the pillars. Done.

Easily said, but a picture would really help.

9. lorodz

lorodz

anyone with a sportcoupe have a clear picture of this part maybe i can make it myself. thanks

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

With all the "Coupsters" built on the HAMB you would think there would be piles of these pieces out there, guess they hit the scrap pile. Bob

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes...try out the search function, locate the many coupster builds, PM the owners! Probably several people on here have what you need in their scrap piles.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

TOOK PHOTOS! Will post later this evening. Bob

13. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There are actually two metal pieces on each side. The major structure there is a wood beam but it is supported underneath by an S bend part (S-bend from inner to outer) that has a very short bend down on the inside and a taller bend upward on the outside. The hard part is the outside is curved as was mention previously to follow the shape of the wood beam but the inside bend is straight. The outside vertical flange of the S-bend has castelations with little holes for nailing to the wood. There is a relatively flat piece of metal that screws through the upper curved piece and into the wood beam. This part is really a trim piece that secures the wind lace to the inside of the door. It is rolled to form a rounded edge on the outside that follows the curvature of the upper metal piece and the door. It fits flush with the bend in the upper piece on the inside in order to force the wind lace to a downward vertical position to fit tightly against the door's window frame on the inside of the cab. The S-bend part would be difficult to form by bending due to the outer curvature. It could be fabricated by making it from two pieces in the curve and welding the outer flange on. The inside bend down could be easily formed with a sheet metal brake.

The drip rail attaches on the outside after the cardboard parts and the top material is installed. The only padding in the Sport Coupe top was the heavy muslin strips the were streched from front to back over the top bows to keep the top from sagging. No chicken wire or cotton padding was used that I'm aware of. The outer form was held by a specially made piece of water resistant treated cardboard on each side. One of the Model A restoration series of books, I think number 7, has very good pictures of the top parts and an original Sport Coupe that had managed to survive since 1929 in order to see all the little pieces that go into a rather complicated top. This is why a lot of the cars were turned into coupsters since many of those parts had already turned to red powder from 80 plus years of the elements. The hardest part to find is the trim that goes around the back and forms part of the belt line trim.

14. lorodz

lorodz

Pics would help..

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

this is off a '30 coupe, but they're probably all the same.Ran from the "B" pillar to the windshield post, and had a big angle bracket at the front end.If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll mail this to you- it's crispy, but good for a pattern if all else fails.( Also, try the Fordbarn.)

Attached Files:

16. lorodz

lorodz

Their not the same 28.29 are different

17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

No different lengths

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Oh, well; glad you appreciated the effort. .--------St. Michael : 3-20

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  19. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I can't take pictures of mine since they are still installed. I went back and checked the How to Restore Your Model A volume 5 published by the Model A Ford Club of America and it doesn't have pictures of the roof rail parts. The wood pieces are available but you would likely have to buy a whole kit to get them. A person could use the wood roof rail to fabricate the metal part by following the contours. The flat metal trim piece that holds the wind lace also secures the top fabric and the drip rail fastens on the outside with the nickel plated tips on the front & back. The cardboard outer top formers are also held down in that location under the top material. The upper inboard edges of the cardboards are secured from front to rear by heavy wires with loops on each end to screw them to the top bows. Lebarron Bonney has top kits that contain all the trim to install the tops.

If you plan on replicating the Sport Coupe top, all I can suggest is that you get as many restoration books as you can find on the subject but most are just picture books. The one I mentioned above is the best I've found to date. Otherwise, you will have to fabricate with what materials you have at hand to get the best results you can for the end results you envision.

20. lorodz

lorodz

Sorry mike bowling.
    I was at work when I typed a reply fast ...thank you for taken the timen out to take a couple measurements and pictures ...I may just buy a set of 30-31 and see if I can make them work their cheap enough to modify..cant understand why 28-29 ones are so hard to find..someone should make a set and sell them, youd make a killing.

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

No sweat, my man.I appreciate the nod. Good luck with your project- see you at the ROG perhaps.

22. lorodz

lorodz

Yeah ..well see what happens....

23. Manager

Manager

I posted a couple of pics in the Sports coupe thread before I saw this thread. I think the screw on trim piece is the same if not very similar as coupe and tudor and I'm sure you could use the coupe/tudor roor section and cut it off above the trim mould section.You may have to cut and weld to get the height right. Havn't got a coupe or tudor handy at the moment so I'm going by memory but I'm going to the local swap meet next sunday and should be one there I can compare it with if no one else can check for you in the mean time.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  24. cretin

cretin

What happened to the37kid? Thought he was going to post photos for you?

25. As far as what to call the part, on later model vehicles it's often referred to as a "roof rail".

26. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

You might try posting a want add on here or in the swap meet section over on the Ford Barn site. There are quite a few model A guys on that forum. Just ask for roof rail parts for 28/29 Sport Coupes.

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is why the hamb is so damn kool. You took time out of you day to help a guy out(even tho the part was different). Your a stand up guy!!!!!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

JET%20BLUE%20091_zpstsslpoj6.jpg JET%20BLUE%20088_zpsokv95ug0.jpg These shots are from an early '28 AR Sport Coupe. Looks like the wood does all the work. Bob

29. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

My coupe was missing one i found one on ebay but i never seen another one for sale im sure a set of tudor ones are the same if you need pics i can dig mine out and take a pic

30. lorodz

lorodz

Sweet shots the37kid much appreciated, I need two of these but cant find anyplace that sells them or repros them, I posted on the barn, the h.a.m.b, face book, looked on ebay, macs.its like noone sells em, I have even looked on the sport coupe post on here.and nothing