Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Functional lake pipes

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by martinautobody1, Mar 11, 2015.

1. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Hey, has anyone out there done functional lake pipes with mufflers? I'm in the middle of building a 50 Buick which will have stainless lake pipe and I keep thinking about running my exhaust up to them...after going through my header mufflers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

I ran my lake pipes with no mufflers with my 255 flathead and it sounded great. didn't really need mufflers

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'll be running mine with open lakes, and a set of mufflers on a regular dual system on my '59 bird. I would think running mufflers between the exhaust manifolds and lake pipes would be difficult.

4. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

I've always done... dual exhaust plus lake pipes, but it would be cool to exit the lake pipes. I've been thinking about a u-turn after the muffler to go up to the lake pipes, or maybe use a muffler that enters and exits the same end, to point back to the front.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did a car for a guy who wanted that. I welded up the front of the lake pipe, cut a hole in the back at the exit point, and ran the muffled exhaust through that. Saves running all those U turns of exhaust under the car!

6. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

I like that, sneaking in the back side. It would be hidden pretty well under the rocker too. I always bolt lake pipe to the underside of the rocker with a flat welded in bracket... might need some kind of rubber mount instead.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

That's what I do...angle iron bracket, but with an old shock bushing between pipe and bracket. Gotta have some give, for when you hit curbs, speed bumps.....

8. 1pickup

1pickup

'70 Challenger T/A had factory side exhausts and mufflers w/ ins & outs on the same side. Probably hard to find, but worth a look.

9. I have done it for other people, you just run a U pipe out of the muffler and then back forward and into the lake pipe.

Those chromesium lakes pipes were never functional, they were never meant to be functional, they were an added bobble that people put on a custom, just like non functional tear drop spot lights.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

But beaner how will we ever burn our ankles exiting a car if they aren't hooked up? Ankle bandages are mega trad ;)

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've known several guys who did the U bend thing and think someone used to sell lakers that had a pipe built in for exhaust to go in back about a foot from the rear of the pipe to turn them into tail pipe tips. Welding pipes to set to do that would most likely be rough on the chrome though.

12. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Ok, I found these... Stainless, same end, inlet and outlet mufflers. One end mounts to headers, the other end points to the front of the lake pipes! The uturn is inside the muffler! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426294553.761650.jpg I'll use stainless lake pipes, and have a total stainless exhaust. No stupid tailpipes on my airbagged car.

13. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Nice solution. Never seen muffs like that before, but they'd be handy on a number of oddball applications I'm sure.

14. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Any suggestions on how far to keep the pipes away from painted surfaces to prevent burning the paint?

15. greybeard360

greybeard360

Those mufflers came on Challenger T/A and AAR Cudas so they could dump exhaust out in front of rear wheel.
    We lowered this truck, mounted lake pipes that tied into exhaust pipe. The muffler and tail pipe exited under the bed, remove the cap from lake pipe to open it up.

CAM00211[1].jpg

16. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Canada Jeff, they will need a space between the rocker for sure and some type of rubber mount for vibration. It may also be a good idea to install a braided flex section like newer cars use.

17. pointer-1

pointer-1

I considered running functioning lake pipes my self with electric cut outs and a conventional exhaust.
    a friend of mine and I did this on a "59 Ford and it worked OK but if you ran the pipes awhile getting in and out could be very interesting.