Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ~~~ peaking & polishing a 32 axle ~~~

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 117harv, Dec 31, 2013.

1. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

WOW! Talk about eye candy, magnifico.

117harv likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Harv...
    I seem to 'preach' that the front axle dictates the style of the build.
    Actually, the discovery of a unique axle has been the 'master' of every project I've ever started, so I've pored over the thread with extreme interest.
    The rivet detail was more than expected. 'Industrial Art' at its finest.
    Hope you aren't too busy to find time for a '23 Elliot I-beam in near future? I'll PM you ("conversation")
    Thanks for the detailed thread.

117harv likes this.
  3. Wow.....beautiful !!!

117harv likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, just wondering if it will stay a two springer or converted to a Ford cross spring. Looking forward to seeing the car this one goes on as well as the '32 I beam. Bob

5. 117harv

117harv

ricks 56 f100 028 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 030 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 035 (Small).jpg ricks 56 f100 014 (Small).jpg Finished up another dropped heavy for a HAMBer today, in the mail tomorrow. Thanks guys for the work and the chance to add to the final outcome/look of your hot rod.

mgtstumpy, BarryA and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Beautiful work as usually Harv. Next 32 axle I find, I am sending it to you for the full treatment.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

117harv likes this.
  7. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Harv,
    You outdid yourself on that one! I bet old Henry himself would be pleased to have that under his car!

117harv likes this.
  8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that axle turned out so eye pleasing it should be on the wall at an art show ,

117harv likes this.
  9. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

this is amazing! you just changed my whole view on cleaning up rusty metal.

10. 117harv

117harv

Thanks guys, lots of work/time into these parts.

11. Man I'm tired!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Wow!! Nice work!

117harv likes this.
  13. 117harv

117harv

After a long adventure filled trip, this V860 axle arrived at my door from a fellow HAMBer. The axle was going to be drilled and sleeved, but will just get the full polish treatment now. It looks to be in great shape, took it to the blaster earlier today to get cleaned, will be back tomorrow and the work begins. Pics next.

14. 117harv

117harv

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking forward to another great project. Has anyone found out why the ends on a '37 tube are left open? Bob

117harv likes this.
  16. 117harv

117harv

^^^ I have wondered about that, I think there is a thread on here somewhere discussing the manufacturing of these axles.

17. 117harv

117harv

To the posters on this thread or the others I have done and even those who haven't posted, I don't do this for the glory but because I enjoy it. The fact that complete strangers, aside from a few PM's will send me their valuable parts from across the US and from the other side of the world still blows my mind. I have received PM's after a part or parts I have worked on were received by the owner, to hear how much they like the item/s makes all the work/pain worth it. I am a conservative guy and don't seek glory, but sharing here is what this site is about, the kind words, they mean more than you know...a sincere thank you to all :)

18. When you love what you do it shows!

117harv likes this.
  19. So impressive! What would it take to get you down to Texas? I have a bunch of rusty crap that needs to be cleaned up :D

20. Absolutely amazing work. It is hard to believe these parts will go under a car. This thread inspires me to reach higher, Thanks!

117harv likes this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm convinced you suffer from OCD and you probably iron your underwear

22. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

117Harv, I look forward to your posts & pictures. They have given me the push to work with some dropped axels & other parts that I have. I'm just playn arround with mine now, but seeing what can be done by someone that has insight & knows what he's doing gives me hope. Please keep posting. I love your work & can't wait for your next project. Sincerly. Bill

117harv likes this.
  23. Beautiful work Harv.

117harv likes this.
  24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

WOW. I did some cleaning and polishing work on my F100 steering box as a 15 year old kid that had more time than money to put into his car. That bit of work only makes me appreciate the effort you put into your work! beautiful!
    oh and the drop on those heavy axels to begin with is amazing work!

117harv likes this.
  25. 117harv

117harv

Picked up the axle from the blaster today, looks like it's in great shape. Pics next.

26. 117harv

117harv

27. Beautiful condition, polished my 37 Hudson steering box a while back so I know the pains you go through to make these parts works of art. Been through mountains of those 3m Rolok disks over the years, damn those things are good for removing metal, the scotch brite ones are a amazing. Love polished parts, and I love following your threads Harv, keep up the good work..

kidcampbell71 and 117harv like this.
  28. 117harv

117harv

There seems to be no clear answers as to how these axles were made, lots of speculation, but who really knows. It took many tries to get these shots, these were the best I could get. The pic that looks like the surface of the moon was the top, the lower edge looks to have a weld joint? Looking in from the ends, the wall is thicker than the tube in between the wishbone mount as would be expected as it's has the most stress. It has the ground area where the Rockwell test was done as all early Ford forged parts have. I just ran the grinder over the side to show the low recessed area, again how was this made ? Anyway, time to make it shine, will have progress pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  29. 117harv

117harv

30. 117harv

117harv

Made some progress today, the axle is in good shape for it's age, but as always there is some pitting. In the second photo it looks like a shadow line but is the difference in flap wheel grit, rough first to cut, then finer to smooth. After doing this for so long, I can tell when a blem or low spot just wont go away and will need to be filled. I'm showing only one spot, but there were several that needed filling. Also, I thought I could keep the milled pad for the lock pin, but after smoothing it/them out there wasn't enough left to detail, so they got blended. Next is detailing the ends with small screw lock discs, graduating grits...more in the next up-date.

Pics in next post.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015