Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Please recomend a curved glass cutter in/near Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a990hemi, Mar 20, 2015.

1. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Might anyone be able to recommend a curved glass cutter / installer in Wisconsin, Illinois or Iowa? My '51 Chevy was chopped a long time ago and the de-laminating windshield needs to be replaced.
    Thanks
    IMGP5891.JPG

turboroadster likes this.
  2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'll put it up for the evening crew.

3. I took my car to PS auto glass in Janesville. I think they also have a place in Madison. It wasn't cheap but I was very pleased with the results

4. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

If you have no luck with glass, try ProGlass in Yorkville, Il. Bob does great work in composite materials.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

6. meester_jamie

meester_jamie

you can use a sandblaster to cut glass... tape off the glass you want to keep.. use thick duct tape.. and blast along your cut line... when it gets to the plastic.. cut that with a razor.. flip over and repeat..
    support it on foam, or tires, or sawhorse..
    I hold a piece of tin along the line to make sure the sand doesn't cut thru the tape.... when you are done, the glass will have a polished edge
    hope that helps

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice car. Good luck and let us know the outcome and the process used. This topic is common and it's nice to know what good steps were used.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have been using Glassworks from Edgerton, WI for quite a few years. I am very satisfied

9. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Thank you all for your advice.

10. remember when you use sand to cut glass it generates lots of heat and that will break it, have a air supply blowing on area to be cut increases your success rate. it takes lots of patience!:oops:

11. j and f glass in racine does a lot of hot rods. he is across the street from the police station. i have been happy with his work and have known him for over 30 years. 262-634-1341

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've heard a water jet works great.