Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass Front Fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Hi everyone I need your opinions, I found a pair of F100 Fiberglass Front Fenders made by Fairlane on craigslist. I'm in New England where steel just gets chewed up, i figures I would save the life of original or re-pop fenders and go with glass. I was told that Fairlane went out of business and I'm wondering why? Are their products good or subpar? Has anyone installed Fairlane glass products before and if you have what was your experience. For a new pair of f100 fiberglass front fenders found on craigslist what would you pay?

Thanks in advance for you help

2. I used a set of their rear fenders on a 41 Coupe and the quality was excellent. This was the info on my receipt
    Fairlane Company
    1500 Alter Rd.
    Milford, MI 48381
    (248) 676-9293
    www.fairlanecompanymi.com
    Builds fiberglass ’36–48 Ford car body parts, ’40–66 Ford truck body parts,
    ’41–72 Chevy truck body parts

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thank you for your info

4. 48ford

48ford

Fairlane put out a very good product line.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Fairlane fiberglass was the BEST,.. IMHO,.. Keith Ashley "FASI" (Original owner of Fairlane) is on this board as well Stewart "The Limey Kid",.... Top notch all the way !

6. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

I would easily pay upwards of 7 to 10 thousand for a pair of fenders

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Yes, at least that much if they are attached to a decent 30,000 dollar truck.

8. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I have been running a complete Fairlane glass front end on my 1950 F1 for four years now on the street. Excelent quality. no complaints!

9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

im sold! thanks everyone

10. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

What are you savin the steel ones for ? If I had steel that would be my pick. Then again it's your ride ! good luck & have fun

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i actually dont have any fenders, the ones that came with the truck were to far gone for my metal skills. I feel it would be kinda a waste to put original steel or even re-pops on only to have them eaten away by new england salt, snow, rain and moisture

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

FASI , you are boss man . THANXZ.

13. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Fasi... I drooled over the boat tailed 36 ford roadster too long I guess. would have absolutely LOVED to have had one to build.

14. He He He...

That's a good one there.

My dads 56 Chevy truck had nice quality fiberglass fenders all the way around. They were great in fit and finish...

15. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Sorry Flathead ! I thought you already had steel fenders that you were going to save.

16. i put a set of fairlane fenders on a '48 pickup, customers son drove it into a tree and crushed one fender. ordered another one, painted it, and it bolted right back on without any "fitting" that usually comes with fiberglass parts. recently put a set from someone else on a "50 pickup that i had to shape to fit. fasi what happened to the molds?

17. Verminator

Verminator

We bought a set of running boards for the 55 ford panel shortly before Fairlane closed. They are very sturdy and better than you could imagine !!! We STAND on them every day getting in and out of the truck, and no damage or cracks with over 2 years of use.

18. FASI

FASI

The molds are all back in my possession, awaiting my decision of what parts to return to production.

19. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thank you for your response...we have had a few successful companies locally that sold to new owners who ran them into the ground in record time. With one of the companies the bank who owned the real estate contacted the previous owner who had moved to another state and retired to come back and rebuild the company, from what i heard he reluctantly agreed and if it was not for the public outcry from customers that loved his business to rebuild be would have stayed retired. Its now very successful again. I would love a set of rear fairlane fenders and running boards....you have my personal public outcry to start it up again!

I ended up buying the fenders about an hour ago.....i was a little unsure but once I saw them I knew it was a quality product and was very thick. I purchased the new pair for $375 and saved about $175 in freight shipping...he was only 12 minutes away from me! He was a dealer for fairlane and said he would love to sell the product again

20. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Keith, a little off subject but are you going to resurrect the "Real Hot Rods"?
    Jack

21. FASI

FASI

Jack, sorry but no. I have all the molds and tooling for it and when I take some time I will be offering this for sale as a package. My avatar has a picture of the last one we built which I kept and enjoy driving on nice days. Keith

22. FASI

FASI

Here is a few pictures of the last of these that I am building for myself. I have lengthened the front fenders 6", lengthened the doors 4" and slid the cowl back 6". Being sectioned 31/2" the nose needs to be longer for balance. The leading edge of the doors has been slanted back like a '34 and I am building door sills which will carry the body lines from front to rear uninterrupted. I may do some trimming on the front fenders as seen by some white markings. Time will tell on that. Finishing touches will be a DuVal windshield, Woodlite headlights and a top with a boattail rear ala '63 Stingray. The overall design is to create a "classic car" appearance. Stay tuned.......

"

Attached Files:

23. If it gets it on the the road sooner and all the bills are paid...what the hell!

24. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

25. Hambone64

Hambone64

There is a red and white 56 Country Sedan for sale in Clearwater, Fl right now that has fiberglass fenders and hood. Perfect fit. You would never guess they weren't steel.

26. My 36 coupe ran Failane rr. Fenders. Solid quality parts.