Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission Fluid Advice On 58 GM & Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbthebarber, Mar 19, 2015.

1. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

Can anyone share what transmission fluids they are using on their 58 Buicks & Lincolns please? Especially those in Europe please. Here in the UK we have a great company called Millers which sell an ATF that covers both GM & FORD trans, I have one of each ( Flight Pitch Triple Turbine GM & Cruis O Matic Ford ) and wondered if anyone had used such a fluid on either? Or is it still better to hunt for different GM & FORD fluids? http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp…

2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Ford's always used Type F. GM used Dexron.You can use Type F in GM trans, just might shift a bit firmer.

3. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

Thank you for your reply Greg... we can't get Type F here anymore I believe. The above link states that it covers "FORD M2C138J & M2C166H" ? ...

4. if you get the hot rod transmission fluid from B&M that is basically the same as *Type F fluid. The GM transmission will work fine with dextron or dextron II.

If you really want type F I am sure that we can figure out a way to get a case to you.

* the F stands for friction and not ford contrary to popular beliefe and do not put it in your power steering pump.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I run type FA fluid in my Flight Pitch dynaflow. Seems to be ok. You probably be all right with Type F, as the clutches in the Flight pitch only engage when the transmission is in R, D, or G. They do not operate like sequential shift transmission clutches, so the fluid should not hurt the clutch paks. Lincoln, run Type F.

6. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

7. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

I have since read that Dexron III will work fine with both the 58 Buick and 58 Lincoln Tansmissions ... d2_willys or anyone else had experience with using III with either trans?