Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1960 Olds 88 Motor Swap Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappin bottom, Mar 19, 2015.

1. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Hello all,
    Its been a while since I have updated with anything but with a 2 year old son not much can be done on the car :/ But now I can get going again! I have a question for you Oldsmobile guys, I am going to be putting a SBC into my olds and wanted to know what transmission cross member to use? I will be using a TH350, I once heard to use a 1963 Impala wagon cross member. Is there another one that is made that I could use and preferably bolt-on? Also any helpful tips are greatly appreciated as well :) Have a great day!

Attached Files:

2. You can probably buy one from Advance Adapters or transdapt that will bolt in no muss no fuss. Or you could st the engine and tranny and see what it would take to adapt the one that you got.

3. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Thanks porknbeaner! I will check out those places when I get a chance.

4. They both usually have reasonable pricing, I would offer to sell you my 394 and B&M but it would probably be way out of your budget and you would have to carry gas if you wanted to road trip. :D

Good luck with the build.

5. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Ah don't worry I have another one that has a 394 in it that I am going to rebuild, this olds is my custom, the other will be the pure one.

Attached Files:

6. With my mill it would be pure hell. :D If they had ever made E-85 standard all over the place I would have it in a car as we speak. ;)

Looks like you got good bodies to start with that is always a plus. mechanical is the easy part.

7. I have a SBC in my avatar [​IMG] This is what I done works very well
    I can pull the trans out in 30 Min

8. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The motor in mine sets where the drive shift placed it. I used block hugger headers. If i were to i=do it again I would use rear dump manifolds I am close to my PS box and had to build a heat shild. useing a tall water pump the radiator sets in the stock location perfect.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A while back we swapped a 455 Olds into a 60 Olds convertible a buddy owned, (RIP, Pete) and it was a bitch. The steering box wanted to occupy the same spot as the exhaust manifold, but we finally solved it with Olds industrial type manifolds.

The SBC should be a much easier proposition, the starter is on the passenger side, and it is much more compact. Just slide it down in there and then see what clears and what doesn't.

BTW, set the old 394 aside because some day some future owner may want to return it to that powerplant.

Don

10. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

Awesome! Thanks guys! plymouth1952 what crossmember are you using in your picture? Don's Hot Rods, I am holding onto the motors so my wife can put it in her 1946 Ford roadster :)

11. Its made out of tubing welded to the frame with a flat plate drilled and a center section with a mount for the mount. Don I tried the big block thing PS in the front ports gave me fits Lol. you can do it like my 52 ply too much easier
    [​IMG]

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is the old OLDS engine available? And does it have a 2bbl carb on it? Does it still run, turn over?

13. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

It does, but already gave it to a friend a while back.