Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chevy Hardtop Chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Grant_Maclean, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Torchie

Torchie

As are all of us that work on and enjoy these customs. It's been shown time and again that alot of the info about these cars that was written up in the old mags is incorrect and has just gotten repeated over the years. Thanks for clearing this up fasi and Grant, your chop is looking great. Keep at it.
    If I had a place that could do the corners in glass as CadMad said I would go for it. If for no other reason that to watch the know-it-all's scratch their head in wonderment......
    Torchie.

2. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

I want to learn about these cars just as much as you atomickustom, so please, hijack away!!
    I'd do anything to be around when these cars were built. I might have to make the trip over to US land to check 'em out in person one day.
    As for the glass, I'll do some research and see how much it will cost to get some made up. The guy who does our glass at work said it would cost around $1000 to do a side. I'm not paying that for two small pieces. Where as lexan is apparently only like $25 dollars for a sheet or whatever. I'll check out that aircraft plastic too though.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

You could always go for glass later if it bugged you.
    I keep learning that much of what is written in car mags is not true. Annoys me every single time.

C'mon over! We had a group of Aussies on rented Harleys roll through town this past summer on a Route 66 tour. Don't know if it's a package tour or what?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Graveyardsaint1

Graveyardsaint1

Kool..

5. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

image.jpg image.jpg So it's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy as hell and not a lot of that has been spent on the chevy. But I have done a bit.
    I'M posting photos from my phone so I hope they work. Some of the welding was done with the oxy and some done with the mig. Just depended on how easy it was to get in there to hammer it up. Second photo was just before some planishing and expoxy.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  6. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

image.jpg image.jpg This is how I did the bracing. Not sure if it's right or wrong but it was quick and easy and it's quite strong. I couldn't find any info on how the other guys did it. Also, I wanted some experience on the bead roller at work so I made up a new parcel shelf. It will get covered when the interior gets done but I just wanted to have a go at something different. And it's a damn side better than the old one.
    image.jpg

7. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

image.jpg Started making the steel template for the corner glass pieces. image.jpg More rust repair. image.jpg Oxy welded in. image.jpg

8. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

image.jpg Got some time to get the car out and I got some photos. Waiting to get the glass sorted before I put the trims and mouldings back on. We have a local bi-annual car show on in May so I'm hoping to have the car in a dark red primer with the moulds and trims back on. There's also a heap of mechanical issues to fix before then so I'll be busy. We also just went through a category five tropical cyclone which pretty much flattened all the trees on the property. Luckily no sheds or cars were damaged but a tree fell on the house and did some damage to the guttering. So once everything is back to normal the work on the car will resume. image.jpg image.jpg

9. FASI

FASI

Looking very good. It is a job to chop one and it looks like you nailed it.

Grant_Maclean, Outback and lawman like this.
  10. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Thanks Keith! It means a lot coming from you, hopefully one day it might be comparible to the Ernst Chevys.

11. Thats looking great.

Grant_Maclean likes this.
  12. Torchie

Torchie

Agree with Keith.
    You nailed it. And that parcel shelf looks too nice to cover with upholstery. Great job.
    Torchie

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Very nice. Great profile.

14. layedout49

layedout49

Looking good ! Keep it up bud !

15. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

The Chev is looking great, glad you survived the cyclone, have a few mates/family up that way, it seems you all did well!

M'bro is my home town

Cheers

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

17. Well thought out chop and I like what you have done. It's amazing how nice things turn out when guys think and plan what they are doing rather than just start cutting and hope it all goes back together. Great job!

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That looks much better! Good job! Gold wheels rule, too!

19. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Finally got a chance to do something I've wanted to do for a long time. The oxy was playing up though, need to get me a TIG. Need to do something with those tails lights now! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Nice welding!

21. lowlinc

lowlinc

Loving the Fab work.

22. Looks great man.. I just started chopping my Buick my first chop as well..

23. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Making slow progress on the chevy. Here are the rear window moulds I made up. Used 6mm cast acrylic in the oven at 200. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1952B3b23 and drdave like this.
  24. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Started making fender skirt extensions. image.jpg

25. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

You are doing a great job on the chop as well as documenting and informing. The car looks so much better now. Keep up the good work!

26. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Thanks for the kind words mate.

27. Pimp Performance

Pimp Performance
    from Australia

Going to get that front glass fitted in the next few weeks??

28. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

I'll get onto Brian this week man! It'll be there, even if I have to cut the glass myself!

29. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

I've been busy, masked up for paint! image.jpg image.jpg Sandblasting the glass. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

30. CadMad

CadMad

Belle of the Ball. Wow!