Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canadian 1953 Ford 8RT Truck Flathead Stroke?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patterg2003, Mar 17, 2015.

1. patterg2003

patterg2003

The normal stroke for 1949 to 53 Ford flathead is 3-3/4". I thought that I read that some Canadian 53-54 Flathead 8RT truck engines have a 4" stroke crank. If they are all 3-3/4" then that is simple.

Any help on the Cdn Ford Flathead 8RT stroke is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. mtflat

mtflat

Canada: Ford/Merc trucks came with 3-3/4" stroke (8RT and EAB) . Merc cars had the 4" stroke in '49-54 (8CM and EAC).

A lot of 4" engines were swapped into trucks over the years.

3. patterg2003

patterg2003

I had a line on a Ford 8RT & 53 Mecury Meteor that the owner said that the head is marked 1CM. I know Meteors were about 5hp less than the Mercury's which is done with a lower compression head. I have not seen the 1CM (One CM) listed anywhere as a head designation. That is one I do not recognize and it is a 3 hr drive to look.

Both are asking too much and giving it time to let reality to set in then they may be more willing to negotiate. That is how I eventually got the 1940 car down to reasonable & where I could afford it. No deep pockets :)
    Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1CM is just a '51 Merc designation, probably a miniscule increase in compresson over the earlier 8CM. There were also C1CM, Canadian '51 Merc, that were aluminum and maybe 1 step higher comp. NEVER assume a flathead head designation means the engine itself is a Merc, as the heads will fit anything. Also, Merc cranks crop up everywhere in all versions of '39-53 Fords, as they were always well known and went into many rebuilds to suit the owner.

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

Bruce,
    Thank you for the information on the Cdn Mercury Flatheads. I agree that anything could exist under a set of heads. Anything to keep them running. There are the Meteors to add to the mix as well. It makes it interesting looking at these engines. I can understand why everyone is cautious and not keen to spend too much for an engine that is an unknown with a good probability of being cracked.
    Glenn