Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 53 Buick Super custom project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chillin53riv, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio with a deep rooted car loving family. We would always go to the Cavilcade of Customs every year, and I'd spend hours looking at the 50's customs and sleds. My passion was further fueled in the Navy when I hung around the local shops and car shows. I met my wife and later moved to northern Michigan and have finally gotten my first 50's car to reshape a little to my tastes.
    I bought a 1953 Buick Super with a running {smooth, non smoking} 322 nail head. I saw her sitting on the outside of a salvage yard, stopped in to look and bought it. Clear title in hand for $850.00
    My plans are to install new floor pans and rockers, install bucket seats and newer interior. I really don't care for the head light bezels { looks like a mercedes}, so that will be changed. Frenching the tail lights with '59 cadillac lights, and then lowering her.
    I'm looking to two tone the paint with metal flake and candies.

2. Fender1325

Fender1325

Sounds awesome. Got some pics? Are you sure about bucket seats? Sounds out of place on a 53.

3. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

1395327_1070445159637107_8624814378825914436_n [HDTV (1080)].jpg here she is, awaiting the move north.

Rocksetter89 likes this.
  4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice find! Get that thing home.
    I have a 54 project going strong. Let me know if you really get rid of the headlight bezels. I need a pair. The 53's are said to be a bit smaller than 54 bezels but i can make them work. Also i have lots of parts off my 322 motor if you need stuff. Distributor , carb with electric choke, power steering pump and bracket... if you want to trade.
    Good luck on your project.

5. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

thanks, I'll get in touch with you. Right now I've got some fenders from a '54 olds 88 that I'm thinking of grafting into the buick's. It's a cleaner look for me and allows me to replace my "moustache bar" above the grill, mine is broken in 4 places.

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Carefull with your fenders. They are different widths. I have 55 buick front clip and hood is wider and fenders thinner because of the hood. Not gonna use them.
    Oh and i have NOS new horns if you want them.
    Franco 602-799-6412
    Look at my add on craigslist in inland empire. 55 buick.
    Olds dash and front grills are cool!

7. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

I purchased a '54 Olds 88 for $250, the fuel tank is new...swapping for my dented and leaking one. The fenders will be cut with a plasma, around the face. I've measured that area, it's close enough to work with. I was going to use the quarters, but way too short, mine was hit in the left rear. I've found one in a yard for $75 {patch }. And I'm swapping the rear bumper...matches mine without the dents/creases.

chriseakin likes this.
  8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

9. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

Just gotta wait a few days. My shop is insulated, but it's still a pole barn and it's -20 outside today.

10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hahaha. Thats seriously cold up their. Im headed to Eugene OR but its not that cold.
    Pot Belly!!!

11. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

Getting back to it in the am, it's a heatwave +28 degrees.

hacknwhack likes this.
  12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Ooh toasty warm.
    Hey was wondering if you can check the headlight bezels on your 53 for me? Just wondering if they are pot-metal and cant be welded or if they are mild steel and can be welded.
    Guy came to get some 55 a arms from me and said the 53's were ok to weld maybe. Thanks. Oh and what do they measure top to bottom from the back please?
    Heard the 53 may be a bit smaller than 54 bezels.

13. williebill

williebill

I believe the 54s are pot metal, but the 53s are all stainless, at least all I've had were.

14. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

I'll check out the measurements for you, my bezels are stainless.

15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Thanks. Now i know what year to look for.
    If you dont end up using yours i would take them.

16. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

So, I ordered toe boards for both sides as well as both front floorpans. Working on straightening the left quarter panel, couldn't find a usable panel that I didn't have to take a loan to get.

17. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

Ordered my floorboards $134 shipped and both inner/outer rocker panels for both sides $156 shipped. Ordered on friday, and they were sitting on my doorstep saturday.
    Got them on ebay from classicparts4u.

18. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

Will start removing the floor braces on driver's side today, 3 of them need cleaned and ready to weld to new inner rocker. I plan to install the inner first, then cut out the outer. Trying to prevent sagging of door post as much as possible.

19. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

What, no cross bracing?!?

Do you any progress pics?

20. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

The first three floor braces on each side are just hanging there. I'll get some progress pics up soon.

Fender1325 likes this.
  21. Fadi

Fadi

This is a neat project. This era for GMs is full of great looking cars. How low do you plan to go on this car? When you say N Michigan, how far north do you mean? (I'm in GR with a '51 Olds, and I have a good buddy here with a '53 Buick 2 dr HT - it's awesome to hear about another '50s cruiser on the way!)

22. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

I'm up in Lake City, by Cadillac. I also have a 54 olds, need to get a title for it.

23. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Keep checking your door fit as you go. It may also need some support at the firewall/cowl area while you weld. Don't start welding away in one area, but fit all parts with enough just welds to check it all for fit, then go back and weld more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Q05267-53buicksuper1.jpg There's a car at American Auto Wreckers in Vancouver, Washington that looks just like your aviator.

25. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

That guy was me..lol knew id find you here some day.. I have a pair of 53 fenders and they measure 13"

26. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice! Thanks a bunch man. Got my 54 all ready for the move with a 401 in it. Scored a muncie m20 wide ratio 4spd too. Hows your car?
    Sorry to hijack your thread chillin53riv...

28. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

no problem
    And Fadi, I only want to take her down 3"

29. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

martinautobody, the floors seem to be pretty straight forward as far as replacement is concerned, but thanks for the tips. Now the real "bang head here" portion are the rockers. My replacements panels ( outers) leave off with about 6" up front and almost 12"to the rear with open holes. I'll either have to get creative, or buy another outer panel to cannibalize.

30. Fadi

Fadi

3" should look sweet and leave it plenty drivable - very cool. And I'm interested in seeing your '54 Olds when you get it running (not trying to sign you up for another thread... well maybe)

How bad are these floors you're replacing? I have a small amount of daylight I can see through mine and I'm undecided whether to patch or cut out and replace.