Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kool paint job for 57' Chevy's. Lets see em'!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frazzledsmythy, Mar 17, 2015.

1. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

Im finally getting close to painting my 57' 210 Delray. Im thinking about going simple with gloss black and painting the front and back bumpers and perhaps the headlight bezels. Looking for ideas....I think scallops could be ciool too but you never see em on the 57's. Flames are always cool but overdone. I know y'all got some sweet paint jobs on yer 57's so lets see them!

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If you paint any of the bumpers or chrome, there is no amount of cool custom paint that could fix the lameness of your car.

Squablow, WillyKJr, X38 and 5 others like this.
  3. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

Clearly you lack vision and tact! This is what I was thinking.

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom and childersbros like this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Nope, I have plenty of vision, and don't mistake my bluntness for lack of tact. Sometimes the truth hurts. '50s cars had chrome, and bumpers should be plated. I'd even venture outside of the norm, going so far as to say that it would be OK (albeit not entirely traditional) to go with another metal finish like brushed nickel, like many of the Troy Trepanier cars. Even copper like the Kopper Kart was something cool and different. But generally speaking, chrome should stay chrome, stainless should stay stainless. When I see a car with painted chrome, I immediately think that the owner can't afford to have his chrome done. And that's fine, it's really expensive, we all have different circumstances, I get it. But a '57 Bel Air is about the cheapest car to put good chrome on, especially when you can call Danchuk and have brand new, show quality, triple plated bumpers shipped to your door for like $1500 for both bumpers. The rest of us with off-makes and years have to wait months for the plater to fix our old stuff at 2-3x the price. Maybe I just like chrome because I like customs.

The '57 you posted looks awesome. But if the aggressive look is the one you're going for, how sick would that car look with a chrome rear bumper, and chrome nerf/spreader bar in lieu of a full front bumper assembly?

kiwijeff likes this.

5. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

Touche'
    Your bluntness masked your wisdom. I agree with you completely chrome IS better than paint any day of the week! However it is also expensive. I assure you that any painting of bumpers I do would only be a temporary fix till I can afford new ones. A bit of history on this car.
    I got it from my parents when I was 17. That will officially (and begrudgingly) be 20 years that I've had it on May 17th of this year. I have done my due diligence and half assed nothing on this frame off resto. All that is left to do is the final "dialing in" on the body, paint and a few small projects. Im not going to let my rusty bumpers deface her shark toothed grin or worse yet, slow her roll.

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I'm with everybody else on the painted bumpers and stuff. If you did a frame off resto the chrome bumpers should be no problem. Just my opinion.

7. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

At this time my budget allows for one or the other, bumpers or paint.

My official apologies for offending you all with the sacreligous notion of painting a bumper. I have been a faithful follower of the unwritten rules of traditional hot rodding my entire life and though shall not covet thine neighbors bumpers! Or god forsake paint one!!!

Now that we have this understanding. ....

Will somebody post a picture of a GODDAMN 57 Chevy with a cool paint job?!!!?

Kan Kustom and kiwijeff like this.
  8. deto

deto

Please don't paint the bumpers...

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  9. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

CHROME OR NO BUMPERS

10. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

11. Your bumpers really that bad? In response to the op, Here's mine. Pearl white. Love to see more pix of your black one. [​IMG]

kiwijeff and Groucho like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

CherryWEb570482.jpg Here's an awesome paint job on one of the sickest '57 Chevys of all time

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    40fordtudor and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Tony

Tony

Im sorry, i dont have any cool paint job pics, my own 57is just its original turquoise....
    BUT....
    I think the pic you posted is about as perfect as it gets for a post car!! Seriously, simple and straight gloss black is extremely hard to beat even next to a crazy custom paint job....providing its straight.
    About the only things id change on that car is the name on the registration, and a chrome rear bumper :)

Other than that, id say do it just like it...it freakin perfect!

Disclaimer: my "go to" color for vehicles is always black so im a bit narrow minded. Hahaha

Chevy57dude, your's is badass as well!!
    Tony

14. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

Thats sick! You gotta love the bare bones no bullshit appeal of the 210
    (I presume). Nice car! The side pipes
    really pull it all together!

15. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

I dont think god himself could build a more perfect 57! She's not bad either!

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

If your on facebook there are about 50 sites on 55-56-57s. They all have hundreds of pics.

17. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

I think your all tri-5 haters.Not sure why?

18. REBEL57

REBEL57

Well I have just bought a fiberglass front bumper for weight loss. I can not chrome it. So I will gold or silver leaf it along with the back bumper so they match. A rodder will do the best he can with what he has to work with. You can always update later.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

WRONGO RED RIDER
    If you hang around here long enough; you will find out how wrong that statement is.
    I think to put things in perspective; there are a lot of guys here who not only have been lifelong tri-five enthusiasts, but have probably let go of a few girlfriends(maybe wives too) long before they would let go of their 55-57 Chevy.
    I speak from experience.

20. Tony & Frazzled - thanks!
    The pipes are my own creation, people love 'em or hate 'em. The gloss black 210 in your previous post is like the evil twin to mine.
    There's not much Tri 5 hate here, but after the '80s pastel/graphics/tubbed abominations it's not too much of a stretch.. Honestly, if I see another crybaby doll and ''back to the '50s'' themed display I'm gonna puke. You're putting a lot of yourself into your build and making it yours. That's what matters.

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. [​IMG]Lest we forget the Barris built Bel Air Ringo Starr drove! Not a thing wrong with flames on the right car.

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

20 something years ago when I was single & finances were much less , I was the proud proprietor of a 57 150 that I'd acquired painted red & n a bunch pieces. Bumpers were roached & funds were few but I wanted to drive my car. I hated the idea of painting them but to be licensed & inspected they had to be on car. I'm totally with you on wanting to drive your car, time has a way of slipping by rather quickly n you can save up n get some bling on her when the finances are right. Personally I'd rather have had no bumpers as to go the painted route. Chrome is sooo nice. Hang in there! Flux image.jpg image.jpg

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im with most everyone else on keeping the bumpers chrome but if they wont clean up to at least driver quality I might paint the back bumper silver and leave the front one off till I could get some good ones on it thCAPH3RU8.jpg hrdp_0702_08_zthe_icons1957_chevy.jpg

Kan Kustom likes this.
  24. slammed

slammed

Take a WANTED ad out for the bumpers yet?
    Call chrome shops for a possible lead. 4 door parts car may one or both.

25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

57 Joe isn't often wrong, but this time he is!!!!
    This is the coolest 57 Chevy paint job:

Ditto on the painted bumpers!

Attached Files:

• WOW.jpg
      WOW.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
    40fordtudor likes this.
  26. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I am not a big fan of painted bumpers. It is your car and you can do what you want. Maybe you can prove us all wrong by coming up with a paint scheme that makes it all work. Good luck on the car

27. If you have gone this far on a frame-off then paint the car and wait until you can afford the bumpers. No since in painting something (cost money) then taking them off later. Plus the possibility of scratching the paint when you do swap.

[​IMG]

I didn't paint the bumpers, but I did paint the 1/4 insert.

RocklinDave likes this.
  28. missysdad1

missysdad1

I don't think there are ANY tri-five haters here, just guys who are trying to steer you in a better direction.

There are a bizillion photos of '55-'57 Chevys here and everywhere else online that fit the definition of "cool". It's up to you to decide which version of "coolness" is best for YOU.

And, the guys are right. Painted bumpers went out in the '80s after a brief and totally ugly stay. Save your pennies until you can afford chrome. Nothing good happened in the '80s.

40fordtudor likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Heap--
    Oh man, your car makes the front of my pants feel funny EVERY time I see a picture of it.
    I had a yellow/white 57 Bel Air 2 dr. ht. in high school (1970 ish).
    I'm usually not a fan of the painted insert on 57's, but your car just works, love it.

30. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I think that you will not find very many "tri-5" haters around here. Most of us have an aversion to painted bumpers unless they are fiberglass. Just the way we were raised.
    Since you asked for pictures, here is one of my favorites (yeah, I know it's a repro, still pretty though).
    gasser.jpg