Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the coolest thing you found in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kentucky, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I only buy dumpers. I've found a parking stub from the 70's, a broken meth pipe, vintage bag of weed and a single guitar ear ring.

Oh and lots of rust.............:)

2. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently purchased a 64 Olds in Milwaukie, it was built in the late 80s as a custom with candy paint with pearl roof custom interior very nice solid car. Was sitting since 07, had flip down TV's and a VCR player mounted under the dash, yes aVCR.. while cleaning it out I found a VHS tape under the seat called Pimpoligi, I will leave it at that... all I can tell you is the VCR worked and I still have a pain in my side from the laughter from watching that early 80's tape.

volvobrynk and DBruce like this.
  3. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

"Pimpoligi", now THAT's funny!!!

4. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

My son and I were cleaning out my '56 packard and discovered an old, tarnished gold tube-looking thingy. It looked like an electrical fuse or something. As we were pondering it, my wife walks by and says" it's lipstick, you doorknobs" Sure as shit, we pryed it apart and it was the brightest Crimson-red you ever saw!

5. George

George

Cut a catalytic converter off a 70s van & found an impact socket in it!

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the wife found some in my car--that's why i wear panties to this day! lol

7. marfen

marfen
    from sask

found this car in stock 500 configuration on a hilltop in ND, all kinds of previous registrations, bills of sale, 4 copies of the build sheet and naturally 22 shells under the seats. all the things/provedance a mopar restorer dreams of finding and I only needed the bare body to chop up and do the altered wheelbase thing to...go figure.

Attached Files:

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Are you the one who loaded up the tail lights with bondo and put trailer lights in the bumper too?

9. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Hmm that photo looks like me....oh wait because it is. That was an ex's car and then it got sold to my friend Shilo. Drunken debauchery. That car literally almost ran me over. Should be named Christine

10. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

Back in 80 I bought an old 54 Chevy. Drug it in for parts as it was not a complete car.
    In the trunk was a box of old news papers dating back to the early 50's. In the bottom ofthe box under the papers was a license plate from Louisiana . And a white rob and white hood.
    Guess it belonged to the klan at one time

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Guys. I just bought a 1950 buick super & when I had the front seat flipped forward I noticed what I thought was a matchbook tucked in an opening between the 2 seats, but under the seating surface. Basically inside the seat. I had to get some needle nose pliers to get it out. When I pulled it out it wasn't a matchbook, but a pack of sewing needles. Bummer. An old matchbook would have been cool. Ok, it gets better. So I look in the whole again & I see a piece of trash so I try to grab the trash with the needle nose pliers & & when I pull back a patch comes out of the hole that says "Golden Spike Empire Vintage Auto Club 1969". Pretty cool!!! I've posted pictures of the 2 items I spoke of above. I still haven't got the piece of trash I was trying to get. Tomorrows another day. Maybe I'll find some other cool stuff. Anybody ever heard of or have any history on this car club. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426570507.079567.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426570527.126996.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426570547.911880.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426570564.079981.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

if nothing else you have the stuff needed to sew it on your jacket!

Falcon61wagon likes this.
  13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I don't know if this counts as a cool find in an old car (and if it doesn't apologies for the length of this!) but I had the interior in my '55 Buick Special freshened up a couple of years ago and a few days after dropping it off with the interior guy I get a phone call from him saying he found some writing on the rear of a door panel and to come down and take a look.

The photo below (edited to remove name and telephone number) is what we found. Seems a prior owner had written on the back of the rear passenger side door card and provided contact details.

The trouble was, the phone number was missing a couple of digits and as this was back in the 1990s (as I later found out) the chances of finding the guy at the same telephone number were slim. Anyway, I Googled his name and Joplin, Missouri and sure enough found a business listing that matched all the numbers I COULD read. Incredibly he was still at the same number from 1995, a cell phone. What are the odds?!

I called the number and amazingly, he answered. He is now in his 70s or 80s I would imagine.

I started by asking "do you remember a yellow 55 Buick?", a few seconds silence and he answered in amazement "yes, Rema's car, do you have it?!". From there we spent 30 minutes talking about the car.

Seems when he was a teen back in the 50s the lady that owned the car (Rema) would let him drive it. He was a neighbor and grew up seeing the car and when Rema died she willed the car to him in '86. I sent him photos of the car as of 2013 and he sent me photos of the car taken back in '59 and '60.

It was cool connecting with someone that had driven the car when it was only 4 years old and he got a little teary when I told him how the car was in mint condition. He seemed happy to see the photos so I mailed him a large photo of the car which I am sure he still has. He told me he writes his contact details on the rear of a door card in every car he has owned.

One more thing while I remember it. The car had a faint peppering in all the glass right down the driver's side of the car, on the driver's side of the windshield, the driver's half of the rear window and both driver's side door windows. Almost like it had had gravel thrown up against the glass, hundreds of tiny chip marks, but not bad enough to warrant replacing all that glass. I asked him whether he knew what caused it and he said it had been caught out in a tornado in '67 in Joplin, Mo and the chips were the battle scars from the storm. The storm hit it from the driver's side. I decided to leave all glass intact after hearing that, it was part of the car's history.
    175621d1359682027-blast-past-card.png 175622d1343399264-blast-past-dscn2616.jpg

14. That is cool as hell. Thanks for sharing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Last April,2014, I purchased this 64' wagon. A couple weeks later, while cleaning it out, I found this gold bank bag under the passenger side of the front seat under the carpet joint. To keep the story short, it was the contents of the previous owners' parents safety deposit box(an inheritance that had been misplaced). Total worth between $15,000-$20,000.00 dollars in gold coins and diamonds. It was all returned. Sam

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, charleyw, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I bought a blue 1946 Plymouth sedan in the early 80's from a guy out in a field....he put a battery in it, and aired the tires up, and I drove it home for $300....once there, I discovered a bunch of love letters down behind the rear seat wrapped in ribbon....I read a few, and then I drove back out to where I'd bought the car in the field, and returned them to the old fellow the next day...they were from his wife many years ago, and he'd forgot about them thinking them lost....made him sad, but he smiled at having them again in his hands again....the past never really goes away,...there is always a story lurking;)

volvobrynk, charleyw and DBruce like this.
  17. Timbofor

Timbofor

Last year I bought a '58 apache truck from the family of an old friend of Mine. He was the old man that lived next door when I was little. We went everywhere in that truck. I had been trying to buy it since he passed away 15 years ago. After having it shipped down to its new home I found stuff I left under the seat in 1984 when I was 8 years old. In the glove box I found match books from a tractor dealer that closed in the late 60's. I've kept the truck the way it was the day he died. Right down to his glasses hanging from the sun visor. I drive it as often as I can. Btw, I put everything back under the seat right where it was.

18. in my '42 Poncho i found a 50's book of matches including a receipt for a really delicious tomatoe soup, and a litter bag from Naden's pharmacy, Franklin, NE, from i think early sixties. Franklin was the place the car was bought new and used the first 20yrs...

oooh ooh, and i found some dozens of lil fourlegged skeletons, born in the 50's, if that counts...

19. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

I got the car from Shilo ! Lol I was wondering who the good looking girl spread over the truck lid was! Shilo sent me a bunch of pics of the car and that one was in it....sorry about the comment was just trying to be funny…

20. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

No ...in fact my friend who had the car before me cut all that out and put the tail lights back in

DBruce likes this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'm actually the one who cut them out for the stock ones.

22. gdub

gdub

Several years ago I purchased a couple of F-5 Ford trucks for parts. Under the seat in one of them was a Hornet cola bottle. This was a local bottling co. in Tulia Texas in operation up until the 60's. My daughter teaches Jr. High in Tulia now and has it on her desk as a flower vase.

23. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Drug home an old Comet body, kept hearin a kitten. Found him in the trunk.........10 years ago, still got him. His name???? Mercury of course!

volvobrynk, Raiman1959 and DBruce like this.
  24. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

When i was in collage i was driving a former Border Control car {seafoam Green} I had to take the back seat out due to get the seatbelt buckles up and i found 2 green cards.

25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

lol! THATS FUNNY!

26. Justin Rousselot

Justin Rousselot

Ha! That's funny I'm running into all kinds of people who know my car.... Shilo wanted this car to go to me so I'm glad that I'm running into people that know alot about it

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not that proud of it now... was early work but im also the one who striped it last

28. donno

donno

A 18 year old girlfriend in the back seat of my 48 Plymouth, ( I was 16)

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

This is a great thread and I've had a good time (mostly anyway) reading through every page. But you guys saying you "found" a x-year old girl/virgin/girlfriend in your car... That would be pretty funny if YOU were still 16 or 17 years old or so. But my take is that you're all a lot older than that AND many of you probably even have daughters. So how would you feel if that was your 17 year old daughter being mentioned? Grow up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

That car rocks!!!