Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. As always Geoff, great work. As for the lack of response, could be due to leaving a lot of people speechless at how well you do things! I don't get on here too much, mainly a time thing with a young family but when I do you always have great updates that I look forward to seeing.

The Black Forest Drive Invitational as you said was on over the weekend and I put around 350km on the roadster for the day, then spent the following afternoon repairing some of the wear and tear. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon as I think the last time we crossed paths was one of the early Kustoms Nats that you attended. Keep posting as I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys what you do.

2. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Happy 60th birthday Tony. I will see you when I return from the U.S. Towards the end of May.

Love the 3 window models Geoff makes me want to get one, I'll try to drag one home this time around!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Tom, good to see you.It's a shame you couldn't make it on Saturday night. It was a fun time. Rick was in fine form.
    I got to catch up with Wizzie, Judy and Wayne. All of whom I haven't seen for a long long time.
    I am really looking forward to travelling to New Zealand with Tony for the Blowout and then spending the next week down in Port Fairy, with Rita and Tony. Who knows we may even get some work done on The Last Grasp Special. We will also get my ol 3W out for a run. Hopefully we will take it for a run out to see Alan.

Geoff aka whodaky

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I went out to Gary's last evening to drop of a couple of the aluminium inner door panels I had brush finished for the Austin.
    I brought home with me the deck lid off the Austin. It has been painted on the inside and I wanted to do some striping on it.
    I have started striping it this morning. I will get Gonzo and Gary to come in this afternoon to take a look at it. I am probably wanting to put more on it. But I will see what Gary reckons. One needs to keep non-paying customers happy!!!!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    fuzzybear likes this.
  5. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Geoff,now you have exceeded what mr Armstrong done july -69 with your pinstriping! "An enjoying step for Whodaky and a huge leap for humankind" Thanks for sharing.

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Ah ha, Jock; I have never looked at my 'whodaky's' as pictures of Apollo blastoffs. But now that you mention it, they could be seen in that light. But like most art they are very subjective and those viewing it see different things. That is the beauty of it.
    I have shown very little of my pinstriping art in this thread. So here is one that is a bit different on the end of my 'Dolly Trolley'.
    As usual Jock your comments made me smile

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

fuzzybear likes this.
  7. Nice lines Geoff, I like the guy on the wall in the last pic. My dad keeps warning my missus that if she stands still too long she might get pinstriped.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Wow Dude, you keep at that striping and you might get good at it someday.;)

Stuff looks awesome as always!

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Jay, good to see you. I still need all the practice I can get with the dagger and One Shot. So I added some more to this piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you go Jock, I have added another color. Which is actually a mauve color. Tell me what you see now? It may get more color yet. I just hope Gary likes it, he didn't get a chance to come in tonight.
    Hi ya Mitch, thanks. There is a better shot of the guy on the cupboard door, a couple of pages back: where I show the rims painted. He was sought of inspired by an Ed Roth piece. I am really pleased how this piece on the deck lid is turning out.

Geoff aka whodaky

10. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

First look at it: When Buzz Aldrin do the takeoff from moon & running true the gears... 1:st waaaaaaa... 2:nd waaaaaa... 3:rd waaaaa.... Houston here we come! Enough with imagine,i want to say-but your truly talent&eyes in this stuff hits my soul of imagination and i enjoy it! Fantasy is fun to have i think. Now i have to take a deeplook in your arts... Regards from JTR

11. flatoz

flatoz

Hi Geoff,

you continually amaze me with all the stuff you do.

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Ah ha Jock. Yeah I think I can see where your coming from. The 'whodaky' now that it has the second color indicates a jet blast from a different surface. Yes I think the moon on the return trip.
    Yes you may have me figured out, I have a very vivid imagination, I am very creative and am a very lateral thinker. But I think probably my most important skill is being able to with my hands produce what I do in physical objects and pieces using all of those other non physical skills.
    Earth to Whodaky, are you out there whodaky. That's the way I feel about my world some days. Am I really understood? Does it matter, I think not!
    I have attached some of my art. Some of it I have shown before. Some of it is a combination of my striping, others art and or images!
    Hey Corey. Thank you. I amaze myself sometimes. I haven't done a real serious striping piece in a while. Sometimes I wonder if I still have 'it' in me. I think that deck-lid tells me I have. The Austin is a canvas that will get a bit more of my line work on it , if Gary allows me. So I really want to dig into my ' bag of tricks' on this one.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

509garyd and jocktherock like this.
  13. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

this sums it up Geoff.
    in my experience the greatest mystery on this earth to logical thinkers (left brain) is an engineering person that is dominant on thinking with the right side of the brain - the creative side. There is nothing weird here at all with the way you think or work Geoff - at least to us right brain people anyway!!

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Tom. I have never thought I got the wrong brain. So I guess I must have the right brain, for me at least. I think many may think otherwise!
    Geoff aka whodkay

15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Geoff,I truely enjoy this thread of yours, it's rather random, has much variety, a bit like the Tardis, I came here to look at a cool 3 win going together, and found a whole nuther world! Keep it up, I'm into wandering! :)

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

16. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Outback. Rather random, yup that sums it up. My life can be like that at times. I guess many would consider it a shame that they seldom get to see anything of the cool 3W going together.
    A whole other world? This stuff has always been my world. I guess I do live and breath this stuff. But at the end of the day, it is not the be all and end all. There are other things to life. But I guess I have been able to keep all that to a minimum in my life. Anyhow enough about the thoughts of life.
    Rita sent the new Jammin Gears magazine and my E-ticket for our trip to New Zealand. Damn this is really happening. It's been nearly 17 years since I have ventured overseas. That was for the 50th anniversary of Bonneville. What an amazing trip that was. A few Aussies had shipped their salt cars over for the event. I was lucky enough to be part of the crew working on John Lynch's belly tank.
    In the image below, in front of the Bonneville sign is, Rex, Wayne, Judy, myself and John Lynch. Great people and great memories.
    So last night I went out to Gary's for the regular Wednesday work session on the Austin. I took the deck lid out. I think Gary was pretty pleased with it. Gonzo never says much, but she did high 5 me when she looked at it and gave me a bag of apples in paymet. Go figure?
    We screwed the aluminium inner door panels on, they look real good. I removed the rear cab inner panels and brought them home for finishing.
    Gary has now got the Austin all in black again for final blocking back. He said it will be ready to paint when we get back from new Zealand. Tony's going to come down for that. Gary's a good painter as is Tony, so I think between to 2 of them they will do a great job. Me I will just watch and learn? I can paint but these guys are way better at it.
    Whilst the Austin is all one color Gary temporarily fitted the head lights and grille. It's really getting close when you see all the bits and pieces fitted.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    509garyd and jocktherock like this.
  17. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Those Bonneville salt flat sign photos has a historical value because i belive in posterity they will talk about the "Petrolium times at Bonneville" when they tune theirs electrified bellytanks... It will be silent racedays at that spot... Anyway,we wish you both a very pleasant trip to "Kiwiland" and hopes that you will share some pictures with us. JTR

18. Wardog

Wardog

The Austin has a real menacing look and the door panels turned out spot on. I love seeing any old photos.

Outback likes this.
  19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for the pics and stories, thats why we keep coming back! Random is good, thanks again Whodaky

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Rang Tony this morning to wish him a happy birthday for yesterday. Also told him my new passport arrived in the mail. Boy is that a weight off my mind.
    Thought I would add an image to make this a little interesting. I have't done a photochop in a while. So here's one I know Tony is going to love!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Wardog and jocktherock like this.
  21. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff, I really like this shot as we both had a great day when they were both taken, but both added together really makes it more fun . I like that those blokes are still good friends and still in rodding...........kool.

22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I really like the original shot, because it features your old '34 5W, Wizzies Merc and my '32 5W. Add in my '32 3W and it is a bit like us all catching up at your party last Saturday. Good friends who seldom see each other, but when we all do it is special because we all still love this car thing as much as we ever did. Apart from that we all got to hear about our lives as they have happened.
    As Stovebolt said a while back, it is all about the people we meet along the way. Many of those people become very special friends, even though a lot of them we seldom see.

Geoff aka whodaky

23. Those pics Geoff of your pinstriping and garage art are way cool. I think we would be all hanging out to see this Austin finished as well when it has its first run on the strip to see what times it runs!!!

Hey Tommy any updates on the pick-up?

A few pics of some prints we brought in Queenscliff a little while ago at the local Geelong Rodders rod run.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929646.548171.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929710.976314.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929745.725931.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929788.650117.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929816.617901.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929840.104461.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426929859.657470.jpg

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for posting all that new stuff you got Gary. Some very neat stuff.
    Geoff aka whodaky

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Still shaking me head. Damn 60 year old hoodlums. Got all the cars out in the sun and this old guys pulls up in some old roadster. Open headers, slicks and great big grin on his face.
    Crazy ass hot rodders!!!! It's such a quiet neighbourhood I live in. Not this Sunday morning!!!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

509garyd, Wardog and jocktherock like this.
  26. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Those damn hot rodders just never stop . This time you got it spot on, one of the best you ever done , showing our present and future of our rods . Geoff this is too cool , better go out in the shed and finish my neighbour's cars so it's ready before we go to New Zealand.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    509garyd, Wardog and jocktherock like this.
  27. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Excuse me Geoff,i dont want to put a finger in the pie... but the Sorshik family and Tony&Rita family connection you mention early in your thread has make me nosey for a long time... Anyway here is a picture i have in my ipad & i think it is a Sorshik owned model 40 roadster....? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427133030.720699.jpg

509garyd likes this.
  28. SimonSez

SimonSez

Cool, you should have a blast - it is a great event!

29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Jock you've done it again. Come out with something special. This time not in the way you compose you words. But with an image Tony is going to love.
    Yes Rita and Tony are good friends with Diane and Lance Sorchik, have been, for many years. They have visited with them in the US a couple of times. Diane and Lance came out to Australia about 18 months ago and spent time in Port fairy with Rita and Tony.
    Unfortunately due to work commitments at the time, I was unable to travel done there and meet them.
    From your post I see you have been looking back through this thread. There's a lot of information in there. One doesn't always totally absorb it all when they first read it.
    Anyhow thanks again for such a great image Jock.

Geoff aka wohdaky

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015