Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A trip to the 2015 Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 13, 2015.

1. K.L

K.L

If it's me the post is aimed at then please do, would be awesome. Thanks

2. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Yeah, I messed up attaching the quotes. I'll take a look in the morning. Kool story as it's local to me and the guy that owned the car originally owned a salvage yard here in town that I frequent since I was a kid. Still a family owned business. Joe has passed since the article and his son Gary who runs it now has terminal cancer. The yard is being passed on to Gary's son and he seems to be a good guy too. They still have a VERY impressive collection of STUFF.

K.L likes this.
  3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Do you mean the chopped and channeled Hemi coupe?

4. K.L

K.L

Badass, you should get some photos of the place and their collection

Yes indeed, that's the one

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426468027.899467.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426468054.400630.jpg

Sorry if they are a little fuzzy. Can get better, the car belongs to friends

Martyn

K.L likes this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The Autorama never fails to impress. @catdad49 ... Looked like the book sale was going well — booth was lively both days!

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. autobilly

autobilly

That Preacher's preachin' my kinda Gospel.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  8. Martino

Martino

9. Martino

Martino

IMG_20150303_202744.jpg Here is a pic of the guys that got the Tarkanyi 32 Drag Car back together and running !!

10. K.L

K.L

Thanks alot for all the info and the pictures! Seems like a story that would fit perfectly here on the hamb. All the best to the new owners, they've done a great job.

If there's video footage I'd love to see it and if there's not, consider getting some clips togheter!

catdad49 likes this.
  11. Martino needs to tell it - he is involved currently, but I will take a stab at it.
    Just the basics:
    Car was built and ran in Detroit area at local drag strips by a couple of brothers.
    One of which did a lot of engine building and engine pars balancing for various hot rodders and drag racers around the Detroit area.
    These guys built the car and drag raced it in its current configuration until 1961 (the year I was born BTW and I will be 54 this year). I am told one of the brothers thought the car has a lower end knock in 1961, hence it was parked and taken apart (atleast the engine was) Not much happened, I am told, given kids and other family and career activities diverting attention away from the coupe. Fast forward to 2014...
    Martino and others investing make a deal with the family to purchase the coupe.
    I am sure there was some discussion about how passionate these guys want to preserve it.
    So, the new owners clean and re-assemble it, attend to a few other details and fire it up!
    The best part of the show for me was hearing that coupe run with the wide open zoomies during set up...
    WOW was that cool !!!!

catdad49, Tony Martino and K.L like this.
  12. Martino? is that close?

13. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

That definitely looks like it was more fun than the dentist.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Best photo coverage I've seen so far; Diggin' the Tom Wolfe narration style of the piece.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. Martino

Martino

You got it right. Except my Buddy Chris, his brother in law Chris and his father Ray Gonzelas of Gonzelas Engines bought the car.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. Martino

Martino

I wish I was one of the owners !! I just gave all the time and effort I could to help put it back together and get it running !!

K.L and 41FordSuperDeluxe like this.
  17. Martino

Martino

Im trying to post a video of the it running.Not having good luck :(

18. K.L

K.L

If you're having trouble with uploading videos maybe I could try to help out and do it for you on my youtube account?
    Just send me a pm and I'll respond with my e-mail, send the video/videos to me and I'll do what I can.

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_0120.jpg
    There was talk of this car in the early days of this thread. I'm writing about the Autorama right now and figured I'd share it. This is indeed the car in the opening photo.

alfin32, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.