Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goofy Comments From the General Public

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brentphx

Brentphx

In fairness to him... At least he was talking to his kid about cars, while taking them to a show :)

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

my favorite -- "What IS this really?" :D

camera full 097.jpg camera full 120.jpg CarBuilding.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Kinky6

Kinky6

Way back on the HAMB, there was a thread titled

"Nice Dune Buggy!"

Classic HAMB. K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. deto

deto

Reminds me of the joke about the guys who cut donuts in a library parking lot in a roadster and the lady tells security

"It was 2 fonzy's in a dune buggy"

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had our vintage dirt cars on the track after a race so the spectators could mingle. Some guy comes up, points to my engine (my avatar) and tells his kid "See, that's a flathead; you can tell because the spark plugs are in the middle of the heads."

6. midroad

midroad

What about when you are at a gas station and someone comes over, says "nice car" and starts to tell you about his 1960's Citroen or the like that he wants to restore one day. I always try to be polite to them but it's getting harder.

harley rider, Andamo and clem like this.
  7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their seemed to be several that were almost staple choice questions in relation to my old 38 Ford Club Coupe. One was,
    'Is that a Volkswagen?'
    351 Clevo, Top loader, 9inch Rear. That big you could almost FIT a VW in the boot! (Trunk)
    and the other was the staple Hot Rod question from a layman,
    'Is that a kit car?'
    Doc.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

I used to have a V6 powered Ford Cortina (gold 'flake, black flames, sidepipes). Guy looking it over says "hey, that's cool," then he looks at the shiny bugcatcher sticking through the hole in the hood:"what engine is that?" "2.8 V6" I reply. "Oh. Shame it was too big to fit, If you'd put something smaller in it, you wouldn't have had to cut a hole in the hood!".
    ....erm, yeah....:cool:

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

What year is that?
    What year is that?
    What year is that?
    What year is that?
    What year is that?
    every day, every where I go. . same question.
    Its like they are taking a survey. . and file the important fact away somewhere.
    The funny thing is that I don't think real car guys ask that question ever. You just look at a car and appreciate the details and say "nice car". Knowing whether its a 63 or 64 does nothing if you aren't looking closely enough to tell the difference the next time you see one.

Zaq and volvobrynk like this.
  10. 2002p51

2002p51

Ha ha, I've had the exact opposite, guy looked at my flathead and said; "Wow, this has a Hemi in it!"

Montana1 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Its not always comments from the general public..There are some "Denny Dimwits"here on the HAMB also....

12. At least the goobers are interested enough to ask questions. It is kinda funny how seeing an old car evokes a story about some friend's such and such car, he worked on it all the time, blah blah..

13. 41 C28

41 C28

How fast will it go?
    Had one just like that except.......
    Did that come like that new ?
    There's one down the street just like that
    You can go down to (name of state here) and find them sitting around all over
    You've ruined it

nlualum82 likes this.
  14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Shortly after I got my 51 Dodge on the road I was taking a buddy for a drive. He said, "Hey, a guy I used to work with lives there, let's stop and see him for a minute."

We pull in, buddy gets out and talks to the guy then the guy comes over to me and says, "Can't you afford to drive anything newer than that?"

Arabie777 and smoked1 like this.
  15. Last Sunday afternoon I was in the basement at Cobo Hall in Detroit admiring the hand made trophies that were on display prior to being awarded. An older lady and her husband came along and stood beside me. The woman - looking at these ' sculptures' asked her husband what in the world these could possibly be?( even though they all have script on them to explain what they are awarded for) He said he had no idea- they didn't even look like cars. I explained to the woman that these were 'trophies' . The woman stared at me, then turned back to the trophies then looked at her husband and in a huff as she was leaving said 'Why on earth would I or anyone else want to buy a trophy? I just don't understand these people!
    I couldn't help but snicker...

patmanta, Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Back in the 80s I had a '33 5W with a SBC and a loud gear drive. Pulled into my favorite auto parts store, bear in mind car was pearl white with royal blue candy scallops, no hood, tunnel ram. Real old guy sitting on a stool inside waiting for his part said "sonny, your water pump is going bad". Counter guys were breaking up but I just said, "thanks, I'll check that out".

17. Every time I stop for gas or go food shopping I am swarmed by dumb questions about the wagon. Pissed me off one day, guy said my grandfather had one just like that .I said well go dig him up and we will talk about it.{sorry it was a bad day for me} Hey you cant fix stupid.lol Bruce. 049.JPG

Arabie777 likes this.
  18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I pulled into a rest stop on the interstate with my 23 one day and got out. The car had slicks on the back and an old man walked up and said "Boy, you sure got your mileage out of those tires, didn't you !" I told him "They aren't bald tires, they are slicks." He just said "Uh huh" and walked away. :D:D

[​IMG]

Don

19. Good one, Bruce. That's one to remember!

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  20. Experts creating other experts who have created other experts who will create more experts by passing on their knowledge.

Not necessarily a bad thing however the blind experts seem to lead 10 into the ditch,
    While the real experts seem to be at a ratio of 2 experts for 1 led straight.

So we obviously think the child is innocent her but the father who's an expert is clueless. Some day that kid will get called out on making goofy comments like that. He will certainly think and may even say "but my daddy told me _____was so." Might take years of therapy to fix it.

Until then you can't fix stupid, but maybe we can stop the spread of stupid. Stupid people spread stupid like a 4 year old spreads peanut butter, they get in on E V E R Y T H I N G !!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Model T1 and Babyearl like this.
  21. Had a guy ask me how I "shrunk" the windows.?????? 271.JPG

Martin Harris likes this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What is that?
    A pickup.
    No, what make is it?
    American Bantam.
    A Ford?
    No, American Bantam was it's own car company.
    Oh... Foreign?

23. wendys 5-23-12 001.jpg ...at a local cruz nite a general public middle-aged lady ask'd if this was a Volkswagen?

FRANK GRELLE and volvobrynk like this.
  24. vwdave30

vwdave30

You should put airbags on it., bet ya wish you could take it to gasmonkey garage or counts customs let them fix it up., asked what it was about 3 million times. When ya gonna paint it. Goofy questions and stuff goes with having an old car you just have to remember they are curious about it and dont know enough to ask questions that dont sound goofy.

Attached Files:

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man, that's Bad Ass!
    Thank you.
    Can I drive it?
    Umm, no.
    Can I sit in it?
    No. But your girlfriend can.

Merge, patmanta, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  26. On my OT car ('69 Cougar. 351W T5 conversion) at a gas station. HIM: "Passes everything but a gas station, huh?"
    ME: "It's not too bad on gas." HIM: "Oh yeah? What kind of mileage can you get with that?" ME: *Sigh* "I can get 19 if I'm easy." HIM: "No. I don't believe that."
    Not REALLY a dumb comment, but if you're not going to believe 1/2 a conversation, why START the conversation?

grifcarnut, patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Leakie

Leakie

I was stopped at light last year driving my 37 Chevy when a woman pulls up next to me and says "Nice car" Then she takes a quick glance at the hood ornament and asks "Is that a Thunderbird?"

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

"What is that?"
    "A what?"
    "huh?"
    "What year is it?"
    "Is that real snakeskin?"
    "Is that how it came?"
    "Did you restore it?"

29. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

After I replaced the center bullet in the grill of my old '50 shoebox with a fog light - I was always asked what year Studebaker it was - suprisingly offen from the parts counter guys!

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Doug B

Doug B

mighty 283.jpg
    A guy sees my car like this one day and asks"are you building a Go-Kart?"

Montana1 and volvobrynk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.